63 Uni Crown Vic swap - Start to finish

A place just for our project & build threads.

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

luckystiff
United States of America

Re: 63 Uni Crown Vic swap - Start to finish

Post by luckystiff »

jcperea69 wrote:
myoldman460 wrote:How much did the suspension compress with the 460 on it? I'm looking to do the same drivetrain combo in a 1966. Thanks for the pics and build up.
Surprisingly, not much. I think the police springs are much stiffer than the LX.. Plenty of travel left.

we dropped the 302 and trans in my buddys 65 with cv(pi) and it barely dropped at all. i think he said motor and trans going in dropped it like 1/2". i think the pi springs are like 900lb rating and civillian are like 600lb rating. i was a little surprised i figured even the 302/trans would give it an inch.
jcperea69

Post by jcperea69 »

luckystiff wrote:
jcperea69 wrote:
myoldman460 wrote:How much did the suspension compress with the 460 on it? I'm looking to do the same drivetrain combo in a 1966. Thanks for the pics and build up.
Surprisingly, not much. I think the police springs are much stiffer than the LX.. Plenty of travel left.

we dropped the 302 and trans in my buddys 65 with cv(pi) and it barely dropped at all. i think he said motor and trans going in dropped it like 1/2". i think the pi springs are like 900lb rating and civillian are like 600lb rating. i was a little surprised i figured even the 302/trans would give it an inch.

After driving it for a couple weeks I am really feeling how stiff the PI suspension is. But response and roll is great! I guess if you want the cush ride go for the LX. If you drive it like you stole it, get the PI set up.
jcperea69

Post by jcperea69 »

Just an update.. I was trying to get an accurate track width measurement for the CV front end and needed a little help.. Also, carb needed some tuning. I'll post the measurements when I get a minute..

390fastback
Canada

Post by 390fastback »

Ummm, I seem to be havin some carb issues to.......your mechanic availiable for another tune?? :clap:
62 short-uni, cv front swap, 4.6/auto
plus many other's!
milldinaire
United States of America

Post by milldinaire »

I'm guessing 32 Double D... Yea that's it. That is the measurement you are looking for. :burp:
6ftdwn57

Post by 6ftdwn57 »

wow awesome build. and the pictures are good too :clap:
Have you mocked up how the front fenders will fit around that tire/wheel combo? sorry if that has already been asked.
66 Layin Low
jcperea69

Post by jcperea69 »

6ftdwn57 wrote:wow awesome build. and the pictures are good too :clap:
Have you mocked up how the front fenders will fit around that tire/wheel combo? sorry if that has already been asked.

Yes I did mock it up and with the current 5.5 backspace on the rims, clearance is no bueno. During the build I was hopeful that the rims I had would work but knew in the back of my mind that they probably wouldn't. I ordered in some custom Torq Thrust II just like what are on there now, with 7" back space. They cost me $500 and that should cure the problem.

I was looking at the CV rims I took off this clip and measured like a 77mm offset. HUGE! But I believe the clip was engineered to run with a high offset rim so I think it's best that I run it with high offset wheels.

The way I see it is CV Front clip ($300) + Custom offset front rims ($500) = $800. Still much more reasonable and serviceable than $2500 IFS from a fab shop.

Hoping to see the rims in a week or so and I will post some pics once they are on with the sheet metal.
jcperea69

Post by jcperea69 »

390fastback wrote:Ummm, I seem to be havin some carb issues to.......your mechanic availiable for another tune?? :clap:

After that tune, truck runs like shit.. But I don't really seem to care 8)
TxStang2010
United States of America

Post by TxStang2010 »

The only thing stopping me from taking the plunge on a CV swap on my 66 is tire / fender clearance , hope to see the update soon !
cwindsor

Post by cwindsor »

Do you remember the fittings needed on the power steering pump? I am running the same pump you are and need to know what to tell the hose people on the fittings I need on both ends..?

I Have the same pump and the same rack as you....? Not knowing would cause me to take the rack and pump down to them to fab me one.

Thanks in advance.
orangeRcode
United States of America

Post by orangeRcode »

Really wish we would have gotten an update once jc got the new wheels and front fenders installed. Was a great build thread with all the pics. Anyone know him or know how it turned out? The thread was almost 3 years old.