Project bagged shop truck uni

A place just for our project & build threads.

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Gottkts

Project bagged shop truck uni

Post by Gottkts »

Ok guys, I am real excited today. My neighbor has had this big back window unibody for years and it basically sits half in there yard and half in mine. About two years ago I tried to buy it but they couldn't find the title. In the mean time I bought a model a sedan and would periodically check on the truck. Well it's a older lady that lives there and the truck is her sons. I told her I would cut her grass for the truck this summer, she wants it gone anyway. She spoke with her son and we have a deal the truck is mine now. I am going to try to move it over this weekend and see what all it needs. I need the truck like I need a hole in my head lol but figured it would be a good parts getter. I'm finishing my sedan now and helping my dad finish his 33 chevrolet coupe then we have a 36 and 38 chevrolet pickup but now we have to squeeze in time for a uni build lol.
Here is a pic of the truck
Also here is a pic of my sedan and my dad's car that we are working on
foodstick

Re: Project bagged shop truck uni

Post by foodstick »

Oh man, you and your Dad are doing some nice , COOL stuff.... That truck got lucky when you got it.
Gottkts

Post by Gottkts »

Thanks foodstick, hoping it will not take much to get it going. Planning on running new brake lines and master cylinder as well as fuel. I want to make sure the essentials are working good.
foodstick

Post by foodstick »

Change the wheel cylinders as well, heck..looking at your current projects i doubt I need to tell you that ;)
White97

Post by White97 »

more pics of the A!!!!
Lou

1965 F100 Short Bed
Gottkts

Post by Gottkts »

I will try to get more pics of the a up tonight. Might be able to get someone of the truck as well. As for the brakes I plan on running discs on all 4 corners
Arrowhead
United States of America

Post by Arrowhead »

Gottkts wrote:I will try to get more pics of the a up tonight. Might be able to get someone of the truck as well. As for the brakes I plan on running discs on all 4 corners

This is why i haven't drug one home yet. I keep telling myself I just want a "cool truck to cruise". And then I start day dreaming about custom frames with air ride, IRS, Crown vic IFS, 4.6 modular engine transplant, etc. etc. I keep looking for a solid builder though. Good luck with your project(s) and defiantly post more pictures of everything!
Gottkts

Post by Gottkts »

Ok before I post the pics I need to make some progress toward the uni. I have read about all the clips and frame swaps out there. What would you guys suggest as the best option for a bagged truck. I can graft a clip or do the crown vic frame swap. Just not sure which way is best because so many different clips are used as well as crown vic frames. What Is the most ideal setup. I've seen volare,mustang 2, camaro,dodge,crown vic etc. I want to know the best solution.

NOW HERE ARE THE PICS AS REQUESTED AND SORRY FOR POSTING THINGS NOT RLATED TO SLICK60's but I like seeing other peoples stuff as well
luckystiff
United States of America

Post by luckystiff »

jaguar xj, 2nd gen camaro, dakota swap via the industrial chassis crossmember, them 03- crown vic pretty much in that order. the camaro may be the best overall for bagging as theres a TON of aftermarket support for them. the jag is EASY. i notched mine 3" into the framerail to get about as low as you'd want a static drop truck. most camaro clipped trucks measure around 6" at the "rocker" in the front with a 205/70/15ish tire. my truck sits 5" at the rocker with that tire. it's also fairly easy to bag. most people hear jaguar and think parts are expensive but they aren't. if you need to redo EVERYTHING in the donor set up it still won't hit a grand. the one i just did in my neighbors 52 f1 already has a rebuilt rack, new upper control arm bushings and several other parts replaced. we did a bulk buy and he's got about $200 in his donor and it should be done with about that much more thrown in it. i gave $225 for my donor and it needs about $400 worth(ball joints, control arm bushings,etc). the jag is also the correct track width 59.5". camaro is 61". i think dakota is close to correct. crown vic is 65.5" yeah you can use high offset wheels and whatnot and it works. i like the cv design wise, i just wish it was 4-5" narrower....ken....
LM14
United States of America

Post by LM14 »

My IC/Dakota is sitting at just under 9" at the rocker with the lower control arms level and a 205/70R15 tire. It would be tough to weld it in and change the static ride height the way the kit goes together.

SPark
1932 Ford 5 window coupe. 302/C4
1962 8V-390/C6 Unibody Short Bed Soon to be Big Window - The Lincoln that never was
2013 F150 Super Crew Eco Boost 4x4
2015 Ford Edge for the little lady, because she said so!
2007 Mustang GT, 4.6-3V/5 Speed. Only 8680 miles on the clock.

More toys, I need more toys!!!
Gottkts

Post by Gottkts »

Thanks for the help. I think I'm leaning towards the camaro clip now, just because I can get my hands on one for free. A buddy just informed me he has one in the garage.
luckystiff
United States of America

Post by luckystiff »

camaro is a good choice for bagged. the biggest pain is reworking the core support and inner fenders and such to fit but thats not a huge pain either. the camaro has a HUGE range of articulation. most of the replacement parts are pretty cheap. like the jag theres a coupla pieces that are big hits but nothing to hurt to much...ken....
Gottkts

Post by Gottkts »

Got a few more pics of the truck, comes with some extra doors as well

Getting real excited, wrapping up the a and then trying to get this thing going, my house is right next door and probably will still be a project getting it over ther. It has been sitting there for at least six years. She is probably locked up as far as brakes go. We will find out Sunday
simonscr
United States of America

Post by simonscr »

Looks to be in pretty good shape! Can't beat the drive to pick it up either :lol:
Simon

65 f 100

56 willys m38a1 SOLD ( Have had since high school )
Gottkts

Post by Gottkts »

The truck made it home from the long journey of next door lol. Although it was not without incident. My uncle lives across the street from me and I had him hook it up to his truck to tow it over. Told him the f100 didn't have brakes and when he pulled down the driveway he stopped in the street and you can guess what happens there. Luckily didn't mess up either truck at all. Here are some more pics.
Lovely looking frame to engine mount
Worst rust on the truck
Up on stands and pb blasted all th body bolts. Hope to have the body off soon
luckystiff
United States of America

Post by luckystiff »

my 62 bbw has the same rust. torque box/bedfloor/bedside meeting i think they all rust there....
Shadow

Post by Shadow »

The Interior Looks Good. Looks Like A Fairly Recent Re-Upholster On That Seat. Nice!.......
390fastback
Canada

Post by 390fastback »

Ya, thats where the torque box is under the bed floor. Very common rust trap. Mines rotten in the same spot. Theres a couple build threads on here where guys have taken the stock repair aproach, and some with a little custom aproach.

I wish mine was a big back window....
62 short-uni, cv front swap, 4.6/auto
plus many other's!
luckystiff
United States of America

Post by luckystiff »

i'm probably going the custom route and doing some extra bracing combined with adding another body mount in that area. with that the framework that will move the bed floor up and the added stiffness of where the frame is boxed now it should be far more stout than stock set up.

i kinda wish i woulda made my front cab mounts and maybe even my front floors to. the quality is great on the parts i got from carolina classic but i could have made them for half the money and they probably would have been more stout. maybe not as pretty but still just as functional....
Gottkts

Post by Gottkts »

Ok folks, I have been working on getting the engine fired up this week. Tonight was the night, got it running. I plan on making a little fuel tank to keep it running longer. Also might have another option for the truck. Just found out today that a crown vic on my work lot has been abandoned. It has sheetmetal damage but all the frame and suspension are good and also has a v8. So that got me searching bagging the crown vic setup because I see very few bagged. It's a option and I don't care about the wider track like others. Their are plenty of good looking wheels out there for me. So now options options options. May hinge on how well my existing frame looks once I get it out.