Steve's 64 Short-bed Project

A place just for our project & build threads.

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

SteveCanup
United States of America

Re: Steve's 64 Short-bed Project

Post by SteveCanup »

Drove some more today after removing the power steering pump and looping the hoses. The feel on the road is excellent, the truck drives and rides as quiet and smooth as my 2015 Sorento. I am taking it on Monday morning to have the front end aligned and that should help with the feel of the steering. I have to obtain some new bushings for the sway bar and re-install it. All is good.....

I've always wanted an old truck with IFS....this is a dream come true for me....

Stay tuned...
1964 F-100
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

Ordered some steering parts yesterday...a new DD 3/4" shaft, a 2" universal collar to go around the bottom of the steering column at the firewall and new rubber bushings for the sway bar so that I can install it. I ground down my own DD shaft from some 3/4" stock that I had on hand and it fits into the Borgeson joints, but not as tight as I want them to. That was where the "notchy" feeling was coming from, the shaft was moving slightly in the joints and rubbing against the set screws. It was not necessarily dangerous, but it didn't give the tight feeling that it should. I had welded a 1/4" bracket to the bottom of the column which then ran to the frame, but I wasn't happy with that....or the way that it looked so here's what I ordered...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Universal-Ad ... 2749.l2649

Parts should be here in a few days (mid-week) and temps are warming up, so hopefully I can finish this part of the build. Going in for a front end alignment in the morning...get the sway bar on and see how much better it rides.

Next up power steering pump fabrication and rear spring unspringing (?) to lower the rear an inch or two...

Stay tuned...more to come....
1964 F-100
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

I’m really wanting to put in a sway bar front and rear before I take mine for a drive, I’m not upgrading the front suspension beyond that. Oh and disc brakes are a Christmas wish list
The months may change, but I am always APRIL
'63 F100 Custom Cab 223inline 6, 3speed manual- mostly stock
https://www.youtube.com/coastiereid
Truck has been home in CA,OR,WA,NJ,VA since it's birth in San Jose Jan63
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

April...the sway bar and disc brakes will make a world of difference on your truck. I guarantee that you will love the change. The Speedway kit is topnotch in my opinion.
1964 F-100
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

This is for you, Andrew.

(Andrew is my 10 year old nephew...he likes to draw trucks. He will be the next Chip Foose...)

Got the front aligned this morning and then drove it on the interstate for the first time since installation....FANTASTIC! I can run 70 mph and it is smooth as silk. I'm thinking "get the power-steering pump installed."

Stay tuned...
1964 F-100
ratrapp

Post by ratrapp »

love the way it sits,nice.
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

Here's one more for you, Andrew.
1964 F-100
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

Power Steering. Pump Installation....
I spent most of my free time today staring at the front of the engine and then making brackets. I already had an idea of what I wanted to do and how to make it happen. I took an old alternator bracket that I had on hand and cut it into 2 separate brackets and came up with this...
There was a bolt behind where the water pump bolted on...loosened this up and bolted a bracket under it

Then I mounted the other bracket on the top of the front of the engine. There was already a threaded 'boss' there to screw a bolt into...a little bending and cutting and I came up with this bracket...

There was a threaded tensioning rod already attached to the pump body...I just moved it to the other side of the pump body to connect to the upper bracket. This will give additional stabilization to the pump and allow for tensioning of the belt...

A pic from the top looking down at the rear of the pump.

And here's an overall from the top view...

I am planning on taking the pressure washer to everything under the hood and especially where the original steering box was located (super heavy-duty caked on grease) and get some paint on the bare metal...make it all "purdy"...

A couple of notes:
#1 I had to cut the original power steering bracket in half to make it work (no pics of this part)...
#2 I mis-measured the belt size I needed so the belt I ran and bought from NAPA (as they were about to close) was at least 3 inches too short. Take your time measuring for the belt...(face palm)
#3 The hoses are not hooked up yet...I left them looped together until I can get the correct belt first thing in the morning. I will then hook them up and fill the pump, run the air out, and see if it is going to function properly (fingers crossed)...
#4 I said "A couple of notes" - that means only 2...and I posted 3....please excuse that....lol....

I am hoping that anyone else who might want to install a pump onto the front of a 292 will now have some idea of how to do it.

Stay tuned...
1964 F-100
Blanger
United States of America

Post by Blanger »

Great job Steve, that looks like a generic GM PS pump are you going to have enough room to hook up your pressure line on the back?
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

Thanks Jon...That's what everyone keeps saying, that Jaguar used GM PS pumps in the 80's. The pressure line will fit...there's more room than the pic's show. I made sure that I would be able to attach them. Tomorrow I will get the correct sized belt, hook up the lines, and bleed the system. Hopefully everything will work as it should (fingers crossed.)
1964 F-100
Angry

Post by Angry »

Awsome work,,,,,certainly a determined effort with the cold weather
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

Thanks Alan...(I assume that is you by the truck in your avatar.) And yes, it has been brutally frigid here...until yesterday and today..it's been in the mid 50's and feels like Spring-time lol.

Finished up the power steering install today, obtained a properly sized belt and found that I needed an additional bracket on the top of the pump to stabilize it. Almost threw the belt off. Anyway, the system bled okay and I now have smooth power steering.

One thing that I noticed after bleeding the system is that although I added about 16-18 ounces of fluid to the system, I now have brownish looking fluid in my pump. I imagine this is due to the vehicle, that the steering came off of, has sit for awhile. I invite recommendations from all of the mechanical experts out there...I'm sure I need to remove as much (if not all) of the fluid as possible (flush?) and replace with more fresh fluid. How do I accomplish that?

Sway bar bushings arrived! Steering column bracket arrived! DD steering bar arrived! Tomorrow is my wife's birthday (she's now the speed limit that Sammy Hagar had a problem driving at...lol) so Friday will be steering and sway-bar day if nothing comes up...

Stay tuned...

(and don't forget to give me some feed back on the pump fluid...thanks in advance)
1964 F-100
Blanger
United States of America

Post by Blanger »

SteveCanup wrote:One thing that I noticed after bleeding the system is that although I added about 16-18 ounces of fluid to the system, I now have brownish looking fluid in my pump. I imagine this is due to the vehicle, that the steering came off of, has sit for awhile. I invite recommendations from all of the mechanical experts out there...I'm sure I need to remove as much (if not all) of the fluid as possible (flush?) and replace with more fresh fluid. How do I accomplish that?
Steve,

In my opinion I'd just use a turkey baster to suck as much fluid out of the reservoir, replace that with fresh fluid, run the truck (drive) then rinse and repeat (do multi times) until the fluid is clean, I wouldn't use any type of commercial flush, you don't know the history of the rack and pinion other than it has sat for a few years, I'd be scared that any type of chemical that I'd put in there might harm the rack seals or the pump.... just my two cents. ( the brownish color is rust from moisture being in the rack and pinion, probably not a problem at all but I would want to get it out)

Jon
longcabjohn
United States of America

Post by longcabjohn »

If you can get return hose off easily, start engine for a few seconds it would clean entire system. Might over fill before starting or pour some in while running and move wheel back and forth
during flush.

Johnny
If restoring a ford was easy, chevy guys could do it.
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

Guys...Thanks for the feedback. Johnny I had thought about removing the return hose, but do I take it loose from the pump or the rack? I'm not sure that I need to do anything to it yet....I went back out after driving it around a bit and it did seem clearer to me. It might have been a perception problem...I "perceived" that it was a little brown, so I am going to drive it a little bit and see what happens. The rack is smooth as silk and the first trip out I was tending to over-steer the truck lol.
1964 F-100
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

Warm day today here in S.W. Virginia (60 degrees) and although it was misty and rainy I spent the afternoon out under the carport. I pulled the steering column back out and tweaked some things to 'tighten' it up and installed the new DD shaft that I got from Summit. I also installed the column bracket to the firewall to reinforce the bottom end of the column. Drove it to the grocery store and it felt really great. I have found that the headlights need to be realigned as the front is about 2-3 inches lower with the Jag IFS. Bad weather coming in overnight...I was hoping to get the sway bar installed tomorrow :( :roll: ...

My attention will now turn to the rear...I want to get the truck sitting a little more level.

Stay tuned...
1964 F-100
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

Not much to report. I installed the sway-bar this past Monday, and a new power steering high pressure hose yesterday. I thought that I had cross threaded the bottom nut where the hose connects to the rack :shock: . There wasn't much room to get my hand down there to start the nut, but I finally got it started and tightened down. Also flushed all of the old fluid out and I now have fresh fluid in the steering system...so I feel much better about that now.

The truck drives so nicely and I'm finding excuses to drive somewhere. I have noticed a slight 'growl' from the front and I think that the wheel bearings either need some love, or replacement. I should have thought about checking them while I had the cradle sitting out waiting for installation...but it was so frigid...Lesson learned. They might just be dry and need cleaning and repacking. Replacement sets are fairly inexpensive for the inner and outer bearings with seals...less than $40 total. So that might be next on the list of things to replace.

I'm still vacillating about removing the rear springs and removing a leaf or two to get the truck more level. From certain angles I think that it has too much rake. Also my wife wants me to buy new carpet to go in it. I have a 5'x7' black loop pile rug ($20) from Walmart in it right now and it looks like factory carpet, but it does pucker a little over the tranny hump. I used a heat gun and some bricks to shape it to the floor pan.

When the weather breaks in April, I'm planning on some minor bodywork and freshening up the paint job. I would still like to find a better bed, but we'll see....

More to come...they're never finished....are they?

Stay tuned....
1964 F-100
aj64f100390-292
United States of America

Post by aj64f100390-292 »

SteveCanup wrote:April...the sway bar and disc brakes will make a world of difference on your truck. I guarantee that you will love the change. The Speedway kit is topnotch in my opinion.
sway bars are on the list for my 64...gearing up to reinstall the power assist on my straight axle. sweet truck!
1964 f100 lwb 292 ECG Heads,4v, 4spd, '76 9" 3.25, orig. :292 3spdO/D, 3.92 spicer locker
19mpg hwy, .040/298ci, arnd 8.7:1, ECG heads, stainless valves, ceramic coated ramshorn manifolds, B code int., eddy 4bbl, Durasprk II/C5ZF dizzy, C2AE rods,high ratio rockers, NOS two groove h.balancer, unkwn cam-for now :twisted: soon:pwr asst steering
was FE/FT, mount:390, C6R heads, C4ae int, w/ 361/391 FT Bellhous.,timing cover, & w. pump.
-Back on the road since jan '17
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

Update: Driving the truck as much as I can and it is a pleasure to drive. The Jag IFS is doing fantastic, but I did have a small leak (seepage) from the rack. I supposed that it was from the rack sitting for awhile and the seals got hard and possibly shrunk. I added some Lucas Power Steering stop leak from NAPA and it seems to have stopped the problem. Driving also helped the problem, as it will get the fluid moving around and help the seals to swell, soften and seal. I have almost 500 miles on the truck since the install and am watching the welds, etc and everything seems to be holding up great. The steering seems to be smoother as I drive the truck and is great in the tight parking lots such as Walmart. Handles the curvy roads "like a beast" lol...

On another note, there was a conversation on the Slick Facebook page today about carpet installation and I went ahead and pulled the trigger...(read "spent the money") and bought a proper carpet kit for the truck. This is the last piece for the interior...for now. It hopefully will be in next week and I will photo view the installation for everyone. The company www.Stockinteriors.com had the original carpet for $129.98 plus $15 shipping.

In a few months, I want to pull the bed back off and do some minor bodywork and reshoot the white rustoleum to freshen it up a bit....we will see....stay tuned.
1964 F-100
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

Carpet arrived today...laid it out on the bedroom floor to relax for a day or so...

I'm impressed with the price, quick delivery, quality, color, etc. I would highly recommend this company. There was even a black 'grommet' for the headlight dimmer switch in the box with the carpet. Weather permitting, I will begin installation in a day or so...

Stay tuned....
1964 F-100