Steve's 64 Short-bed Project

A place just for our project & build threads.

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

SteveCanup
United States of America

Re: Steve's 64 Short-bed Project

Post by SteveCanup »

My father-in-law was a machinist in the Navy and he has a very well equipped wood working shop right behind my house. He used the 7" moon cap as a template to cut a circle out of 1/4 plywood. He then took the plywood circle and he located the hole right in the middle and used it as a template to drill the holes in the middle of the moon caps. He used his drill press to do it. I only cut one cap and I did that with a 4 1/2" grinder with a very thin cut-off blade...I marked the edge at 1/2" with a sharpie and then put masking tape around the circumference of the wheel to use as a cutting guide. I realized with the other 3 caps that I really didn't have to cut them down. I did install the Ford F-150 caps under the moon caps. It helped the moon caps to sit evenly on the wheels.
1964 F-100
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

My brother restores lawn tractors and puts video of his work on youtube. We were both visiting our aging parents yesterday and he took this video of my truck...I'll have him make all of my videos from now on...
Here's the link to the video if anyone wants to take a look: .https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92bvGyLlhX8
1964 F-100
orangeRcode
United States of America

Post by orangeRcode »

Great vid your brother did for you. Love the woodwork on the steering wheel, shifter and horn button. Where did you get your bucket seats? Another nice touch is the red strip in your bright trim. Great looking truck!
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

Thanks, Orange, I purchased the buckets from a guy just outside of Charlotte, NC. He advertises on Facebook frequently and acquires and sells only leather buckets with or without the center console. He is a little pricey, but the seats are first quality. Mine came out of an '07 Malibu (if I remember correctly) and I paid $400 for them. The drivers seat was electric but I removed the motors for more clearance and room in the truck. I probably could have gone to the local salvage yard (actually it was 45 minutes away) and bought a set of leather seats for 1/2 of what I paid...but, oh well. You might have noticed earlier in my thread that I purchased an OEM heavy vinyl seat-cover from LMC for the bench seat and it was excellent quality and fit perfectly. But I noticed that even with normal driving I felt like I was 'sliding around' on the seat. I like the bolstering of the buckets and they are firmer and more comfortable. My wife likes them too...which is a plus. I had thought about offering to build the steering wheels. Do what Sid Drapal does with axles...send me your old, tired, cracked, worn-out steering wheel and I will cut it down, if you want, to a smaller diameter and cover it with wood. If I can acquire some extra steering wheels, I might build a few extra and try to sell them...stay tuned. I'm looking at some other things to do on the truck...cruise-in season is coming soon....
Steve-
1964 F-100
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

Beautiful weather this week-end....got out and took some pics...
I took the seats out earlier this week and welded some holes up in my floorboard, added some extra padding and made a 'covering' for the area behind the seats out of luan plywood. I covered the plywood with black vinyl which was $5 a yard at the local Walmart. Redid the seat mounts with some 1x1 square metal tubing. I'm pleased with the results. I'll try to get some pics of the area behind the seats. I'm hoping to get some things done to the truck over the next month or so to get ready for the cruise-in season. Stay tuned...
Steve-
Last edited by SteveCanup on October 28, 2017, 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
1964 F-100
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

Vinyl behind the seats. I used the three bolts that held the gas tank in to hold the plywood in place. I guess I could have taken them out to glue the vinyl on and the put the bolts back in, but it was easier to just glue the vinyl over the bolts.

Some views of the interior. I want to purchase a carpet kit for it. Right now it has a 5 x 7 loop pile rug from Walmart on the floor.

My homemade headliner...
Last edited by SteveCanup on October 28, 2017, 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
1964 F-100
66redrider

Post by 66redrider »

Really like the seat/center console combo...what is it out of?
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

The seats are from an '07 Malibu (if I am not mistaken) and the center console was home-made. I have some pics of the installation of both somewhere earlier in this build thread...
1964 F-100
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

My hood emblems had been neglected and looked horrible. I took the metal backing out and painted it to match the red on my trim. My son-in-law made these up for me. Originally I was going to have him make "100" but I wanted something different. I think he is going to start making and selling custom decals for the hood emblem inserts ($10 a set includes shipping.) I need to get some Plexiglas from Lowes to make some lens to cover. I saw a pic of the WWJCD decal on the back window of someone else's truck and liked it....
Last edited by SteveCanup on October 28, 2017, 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
1964 F-100
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

...continuing to drive and enjoy my truck. Not much to report other than installing new window crank handles and new taillight lens with blue dots. I've begun the process of sanding the truck down for a 're-shoot' of paint. I would post pics but Photobucket is stupid and I have not taken the time to set up something somewhere else. I'm still looking under the front end every other week contemplating how to lower it just a little bit more without having to take the axle out. I have a few ideas that might work to get a few more inches of lowering. If so....I'll get pics....
Drive on........
1964 F-100
MY OL 66
United States of America

Post by MY OL 66 »

SteveCanup wrote:My hood emblems had been neglected and looked horrible. I took the metal backing out and painted it to match the red on my trim. My son-in-law made these up for me. Originally I was going to have him make "100" but I wanted something different. I think he is going to start making and selling custom decals for the hood emblem inserts ($10 a set includes shipping.) I need to get some Plexiglas from Lowes to make some lens to cover. I saw a pic of the WWJCD decal on the back window of someone else's truck and liked it....
PM sent regarding hood emblem inserts.

Thanks!
Steve F
1965 Mustang Coupe
1966 F-100 Shortbed CC/Ranger
2010 Mustang GT Convertible
2010 Shelby GT500 Convertible
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

Great Cracking and Bubbling bondo...batman (lol). With sanding down the truck comes the realization that some areas need 'redoing'...including the front edge of my hood. I removed the front hood brace last year and repaired some serious rust in the brace and at the front of the hood. I didn't do it right....now I have to do it again. I cut out a section 16 inches by about 3 inches across the front edge yesterday. I am going to form and weld a new piece in...and make sure that it fits better so that I do not have to skim it with any bondo. I usually rush things because of time constraints, but this time I will take my time, even if it takes me a month to get it welded in. After I figure out a method to post pics....I will post pics. Photobucket has photo...bombed...in my opinion. Anyway....stay tuned....this mess is not finished....yet......
1964 F-100
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

...and Steve, (My Ol 66)...hopefully my son-in-law will be in touch with you on the inserts. I know that he wanted to start making and offing those.
1964 F-100
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

I love Photobucket.....NOT! (Just saying) all of the pics on my thread are gone....no use now....but I still have them on my laptop.
1964 F-100
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

Test....test....test....just seeing if I can post images again after the photobucket debacle...

1964 F-100
Shadow

Post by Shadow »

Very Nice! What Image-Hosting Site Are You Using?
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

Postimage.org
1964 F-100
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

Slowly working to replace all of the pics in my build thread....for posterity's sake....(or posterior's sake...lol...)

New taillight lens and blue dots!
1964 F-100
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

I’ve been going postby post on my building thread too when I get time off. Been working on it today already as well.
The months may change, but I am always APRIL
'63 F100 Custom Cab 223inline 6, 3speed manual- mostly stock
https://www.youtube.com/coastiereid
Truck has been home in CA,OR,WA,NJ,VA since it's birth in San Jose Jan63
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

Well, I'm tired of the 17 inch wheels....going back to 15 inch for a more 'retro' look on my truck. I have 2 original Ford 15x7 wheels that I had reversed that I will mount some 225/70's or 235/70 on. Ordered a pair of 15x8 steelies from Summit last night for the rear. I will probably run 225/70's on the rear. Found some decent chrome 60's Ford center caps on ebay for a great price that I will run on them. Anyone interested in some 17" wheels with tires and chrome center caps....let me know, I will make you a great deal on them.
Here's the 17's for sale...with new 225/60 tires...
1964 F-100