Steve's 64 Short-bed Project

A place just for our project & build threads.

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Blanger
United States of America

Re: Steve's 64 Short-bed Project

Post by Blanger »

Steve....

Great job!
SteveCanup wrote:I also did a test fit of the drivers side header (no pics...yet) but I did have to "dingle" one of the tubes that was right against the rack and pinion connector. It is 'clearanced' now...lol.
Just in case your worried about a performance loss from "dinking" the tube...lol

Jon
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

Jon
Thanks for the video...it confirmed what I thought I already knew. I only had to dingle one area on one tube. I figured it would be okay.
1964 F-100
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

Removed the steering shaft so that I can clean it up, and get a bearing installed at the bottom of the column. I will permanently install the Borgeson joint tomorrow. I am also going to remove the shifter linkage from the column as it is not needed anymore.

If it is not to frigid, I will try to install this back into the truck tomorrow afternoon and connect it to the steering rack. Once I do that, I can reinstall the drivers side header. The only other item that will need attention will be the shock towers. I have one trimmed from the original Ford shock tower for the drivers side. It needs a little more trimming to clearance the upper A-arm.

Stay tuned...
1964 F-100
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

I got the Borgeson joints ready and installed. Since the temperature is up to 19 degrees I will go out and slide the column through the firewall and hook it up to the rack and pinion. I'm thinking that the column will mount up a little higher from the seat and in a little closer to the dash. This will give a little more room, although I am a short man (5'-6"). My 6'-6" son-in-law has driven the truck and his knees almost come up on either side of the steering wheel lol.

I will go back and shoot some paint on it when it warms up...and I have some....to my shame I am out of black spray paint. Being New Years Day and frigid outside, I don't want to go anywhere and get some paint.

I am planning to 'loop' the power steering pump hoses for the time being so that I can drive the truck and depending on how it feels, I might not bother with the pump...at least not right away. Looking at the front of the 292, it is not bracket friendly and I will have to do some fabricating to be able to install a pump. I did some research last night and a lot of guys are running power racks without the pump. Just leave the fluid in and connect the hoses.

Once steering is installed and working, I can bolt the header back up and then weld in some shock towers and then......drive it!
1964 F-100
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

I am a bit east of you there but yes it’s stupid cold. I think the high today is 25 but windchill dropping into teens.

I’m out in my garage shivering even with the small space heater,
I did venture out today to HDepot and Lowe’s to see if they had another string of these LED work lights. They work so well in the garage I hate going out there without it turned on.

Good luck!

What I did in Jersey last year to spray paint little things was keep item in house, put spray can in hot water then when I was cleaned for paint, I ran out there, sprayed a little then brought back in and hung up on the bathroom shower rod. It worked well enough...
The months may change, but I am always APRIL
'63 F100 Custom Cab 223inline 6, 3speed manual- mostly stock
https://www.youtube.com/coastiereid
Truck has been home in CA,OR,WA,NJ,VA since it's birth in San Jose Jan63
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

April....it is frustrating with the cold. It got up to 19 here with wind chill making it feel like 6 degrees. I went out in 20-30 minute spurts and worked under the carport. Today was one of those days where I had everything (well almost) lined-up and could have finished most of what I wanted to...but it was just too cold to stay out for long. I finally gave up around 3:30-4 p.m.

I've done the same with spray paint too...it does work. I have a wood stove in my basement to supplement my HVAC system, and I could spray down there, but the fumes get me in trouble with my wife.

Btw, my brother swears by LED lights. He says they are 'mac-daddy' and will certainly light up your garage. I have florescent lights and they are dim when it is this cold. I need to buy some too.

Anyway, everyone stay safe...and warm!
1964 F-100
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

Today's small accomplishment....Shock towers. I took the originals that were bolted to the frame and cut them down to weld to the Jag crossmember.

Test for fitment...

With shock absorber...(I still need to weld it)

I had attempted to 'dingle' the header to clear the steering linkage...but it appears that I am going to have to modify the driver's side header to clear the 'stub' that the borgeson joint attaches to. Hopefully, tomorrow I can get the welder out to the truck and start finishing this up...baby, it's cold out side!

Stay tuned...
1964 F-100
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

Drove it....
1964 F-100
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

:D :D
1964 F-100
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

Goodjob! Next time photos or video or it didn’t happen 8)
The months may change, but I am always APRIL
'63 F100 Custom Cab 223inline 6, 3speed manual- mostly stock
https://www.youtube.com/coastiereid
Truck has been home in CA,OR,WA,NJ,VA since it's birth in San Jose Jan63
Blanger
United States of America

Post by Blanger »

SteveCanup wrote:Drove it....
And?...don't keep us in suspense.
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

I had to drive it with the drivers side header open...the gasket that was at the collector pipe disintegrated. The steering initially felt squiffy...almost like it was binding...but it seemed to loosen up a little as I drove it. I only drove it about a mile down the road and back. It rode and handled great, but on the curvy country road that I live on, I only got it up to 30 mph.

Tomorrow I will obtain a gasket, hook up the exhaust so that I don't sound like NASCAR coming down the road (Although my wife thought that it sounded great when I went out of the driveway...And April, she saw it happen, lol... even though that probably doesn't count).

I have a few minor things to button up, some column wiring to wrap up and the sway bar to install, but overall this is about DONE...for now. I think that driving it will hopefully loosen up the steering. If not, then I will probably source a manual rack and pinion.

It definitely lowered the front about 2-3 inches. I ran out of time and daylight (again) so I didn't get a chance to get some pics. I will probably pull the leaf packs from the rear and remove a leaf or two to get it to sit more level.

OH...and the Jag brakes are "Mac-daddy"!!!! No need for a power booster. I don't have a proportioning valve, and I probably need to install one....

Stay tuned....
1964 F-100
Blanger
United States of America

Post by Blanger »

SteveCanup wrote: I think that driving it will hopefully loosen up the steering. If not, then I will probably source a manual rack and pinion.
I'd give it a little time, probably has a little air trapped in the rack and without a PS pump it'll take driving and turning to displace the air.
SteveCanup wrote:and the Jag brakes are "Mac-daddy"!!!! No need for a power booster. I don't have a proportioning valve, and I probably need to install one....
Yup, I'd suggest a adjustable proportioning valve that will let you balance out the front from the rear, it's interesting that they seem that much better than the disk conversion you had before.

Great job Steve!

Jon
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

Jon,
Thanks for the feedback...especially on the rack. All of the fluid drained out of the pump when it was laying under the truck. Do I need to pour some into the pump to 'circulate' through the rack? I have the pump attached to the inner fender with a coat-hanger for now and the lines are still running to it, but I am planning on disconnecting the two lines and joining them together...any thoughts would be appreciated.

I feel like the rack will loosen up as I drive it. I am going to get a gasket today and hopefully tighten up some things so that I can confidently drive it. Just from the short drive I can feel a world of difference in the ride and handling. Re-installing the sway bar will make a huge difference also.
1964 F-100
Blanger
United States of America

Post by Blanger »

Steve,
SteveCanup wrote:Do I need to pour some into the pump to 'circulate' through the rack? I have the pump attached to the inner fender with a coat-hanger for now and the lines are still running to it, but I am planning on disconnecting the two lines and joining them together...any thoughts would be appreciated.
You need to remove the pump from the equation, the PS pump has a high pressure check valve in the back of the pump where the pressure line connects (if it's like most PS systems) and without the pump turning (pumping) it will keep air locked in the rack, I'd waste a little PS (or ATF) fluid and fill the pump give it a few turns by hand (or a cordless drill) (hopefully in the correct direction ..lol) you may not ever feel the fluid resistance but it's worth a shot. Then just remove the pump and tie the two lines together so they can loop the fluid you displace when turning from side to side.

Let me know how that works out, the PS pump will act as a blockage stopping the fluid from going from side to side if it's not turning, the check valve will just stop fluid flow all together which you don't want.

Jon
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

Thanks Jon, that makes sense...Will try to get to it soon. It's 16 degrees with wind chill below Zero...might not get outside today....for some reason...lol...
1964 F-100
Blanger
United States of America

Post by Blanger »

SteveCanup wrote:Thanks Jon, that makes sense...Will try to get to it soon. It's 16 degrees with wind chill below Zero...might not get outside today....for some reason...lol...
LOL....yeah, I'm looking forward to temps above 32, this single digit stuff is getting old fast and makes my hands hurt.

You may find that you don't need the pump at all, I'm not sure if the ratio is different between a power and non-power rack and pinion, you'd think it would be but knowing how manufactures operate it's probably the same unit with the connections cast over.

Not sure if you know this but most new vehicles have a electric motor running the PS pump to provide assist, it's all part of the big plan to make the steering "steering by wire" with no direct connection between the steering wheel and the rack and pinion. I had my doubts years ago when they implemented the "throttle by wire" but it has proven to be reliable, the steering just scares the shit out of me and I can foresee lots of problems, but people are lazy and want their vehicles to park and drive themselves because they can't be bothered to take their eyes off their phone to drive...lol

Stay warm.

Jon
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

The proof is in the pics....took it out again (NASCAR style with open header) and drove it about 5-6 miles. It is smooth and handles very well and I haven't even put the sway bar back on yet. The steering is still a little notchy (that's the best way I can describe it), but I think when it warms up, I can address that.
Now if it will warm up!

The Jag IFS lowered the front several more inches...

I am definitely going to pull a few leaves from the rear pack and get it to sit a little closer to level. I do like a slight amount of rake in the stance....
1964 F-100
Blanger
United States of America

Post by Blanger »

SteveCanup wrote:I am definitely going to pull a few leaves from the rear pack and get it to sit a little closer to level. I do like a slight amount of rake in the stance....
I like it....looks really good. any tire rub (front tire to fender lip) with it that low and the wheel adaptors?
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

No rub...and the wheel spacing is perfect.
1964 F-100