Steve's 64 Short-bed Project

A place just for our project & build threads.

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

SteveCanup
United States of America

Re: Steve's 64 Short-bed Project

Post by SteveCanup »

Jon,
Thanks! I am pleased so far with the stance. I would love for it to be another inch or two lower and it may settle a little more. Like you...I can't wait to drive it! It will certainly be next week before I can get back to it....I wrenched my back pretty good (actually, pretty bad, lol...ouch that hurts!) trying to drag 200+ pounds of suspension under my truck. I have to watch out for BLT's (Not the sandwiches...but how I bend, lift and twist). If it weren't for my neighbor, who is a former high school football player and as strong as a ox (he's country-boy tough) I don't think that I would gotten it under and up to the frame. I am hoping that the hardest part is done.

I'm wishing for a 2 car garage with a finished concrete floor for Christmas...I don't think Santa is hearing me...oh well. It is a pain to work on a gravel driveway. Some day I will get that garage built....

My wife and I are off this morning to visit our grandsons for a couple of days...

Stay tuned....
1964 F-100
04sd
United States of America

Post by 04sd »

The truck looks really good. I'm always impressed by the things some guys are able and willing to do without even having a garage to work in.
Bill
1966 F100 Camper Special, now a short bed 4x4.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1644 ... build.html
Blanger
United States of America

Post by Blanger »

SteveCanup wrote:I wrenched my back pretty good (actually, pretty bad, lol...ouch that hurts!) trying to drag 200+ pounds of suspension under my truck.
Sorry to hear about your back Steve, been there and done that before, it's no fun, hope it gets healed quickly.
SteveCanup wrote:I'm wishing for a 2 car garage with a finished concrete floor for Christmas...I don't think Santa is hearing me...oh well. It is a pain to work on a gravel driveway. Some day I will get that garage built....
I was lucky when we bought our house that it had a 2 car block garage, over the years we out grew it, almost 3 years ago we had the shop building (pole barn) built it's 30x40 and as you can see in pictures it is connected to the side of the old garage which we had re-skinned to match the new building. Almost all of the new shop sets on a separate lot that took us almost 10 years to acquire (long story), the wife needed a larger building to get trucks into to do her thing which is why the new shop has 14' walls and a large overhead door 12x14. I spent most of a year studding the walls, insulating, building out the mezzanine, building work benches, etc.... I still have to put in the ceiling metal and close up the north wall on the mezzanine to finish the building which I'll get back to when her truck is finished I think. I wish we could have done this years ago (new building) but it just wasn't in the cards and we suffered through trying to get full size vans with a ladder racks in a 2 car garage for her to work her magic...it's really funny that a lot of guys think the new shop is my "man cave" the reality is it's my wife's because it was built for her to have a place to do her work.

A good example is that she just wrapped this truck last week....

No way that is going to fit in a normal garage....and she does trucks all the way up to 2ton...she needs a lot of space.

Jon
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

Jon,
That is one nice "Woman Cave" lol....I'm glad that your wife let's you use her garage...you are really one lucky man. (...and I hope that you get and understand my {good} humor....). I do have a little block garage that is 13 x 19, but the walls are only 7 feet high and I can't get my truck in there :roll: :wink: ...a 24 x 24 or 28 garage is in the plans...one day. I'm in my late 50's (58 to be exact) so time is running out.... :wink:
1964 F-100
Blanger
United States of America

Post by Blanger »

SteveCanup wrote:That is one nice "Woman Cave" lol....I'm glad that your wife let's you use her garage...you are really one lucky man. (...and I hope that you get and understand my {good} humor....).
Yup, I do understand the humor...lol

Your also correct that I'm very lucky to have her, part of my bad choices in life has been relationships, it took me a couple tries to find the right woman. this is my third marriage (and last) but I don't think there is anyone more suited for me than my wife we share not only the love of old vehicles but most philosophy, opinion, and morals, the way the world is today that is very difficult to find.

We don't complete each others sentences (not that much alike) but complement each others opinions with our own even if they are opposing, we are both realists, neither of us has unreasonable expectations and pretty well see the world with 20-20 vision, we share the same religious and political beliefs also, we both like calling a spade a spade if you understand the adage, nothing sugar coated...lol
SteveCanup wrote:I'm in my late 50's (58 to be exact) so time is running out...
You have lots of time, when I turned 50 I thought time was getting short, when I turned 60 I thought wow this ain't so bad, it's all in your mindset and how much baggage and stress you carry around with you everyday, sure I have aches and pains in places I didn't before but I refuse to sit down (as in a metaphor), I might be slower but can still out work most of the young kids I see today, and I know for a fact I can out think them youngins'.

You know my dad use to tell me things when I was younger (all our dad's did) that I just let roll off my back and did my own thing, but you know the 'ol man was right about just about everything he told me, I was just too dumb to take his well earned advise.... funny Benjamin Franklin had a adage that went like this "too soon we get old, too late we get smart" my 'ol man use to tell me that all the time....it's oh so true.

Take care,

Jon
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

My back is feeling better...so I am out trying to "throw it out" again, lol. I am having to grind some clearance on the cradle of the IFS. At it's narrowest point, the cradle is 34" and the frame of the truck is 34" but the cradle needs a little more clearance to go up completely and allow the frame to sit flat to the cradle. It is actually making the cradle angle backwards which will give to much caster to the alignment. Everyone who has done this mentions about grinding the back part of the cradle about 1/8" on each side to allow for this. I thought that I did....but it wasn't enough. I am trying to do this with the cradle up on the frame, as it was such a tight fit to get it raised up to the frame in the first place.

So...if you are installing a Jag IFS onto your '64 or earlier Ford F-100...MAKE SURE that you grind some allowance so that you don't run into this problem.

I will take some pics as I go along and will post later this evening....I'm grinding along...lol.....stay tuned.
1964 F-100
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

I didn't get much more done this afternoon (in my opinion). I got the cradle to fit up to the frame and then adjusted and measured and adjusted and measured....and adjusted and measured. I now have a huge respect for Matt2491 who did this same swap on his '64 in the same way.

Anyway, I had the cradle "on the mark" for the axle center-line on both sides, which was 1 1/2" forward from standard. I had it jacked up tight to the frame...ready to weld...
Passenger Side:

And the Driver's Side:

Welded the cradle in...then started cutting the steering column right at the steering box, after I removed the driver's side header. After going through 3 dull blades I decided I needed to go to the hardware store tomorrow to get some more metal blades (lol). I wasted about an hour trying to cut through the steering column.

It was getting dark so I decided the install the wheels back onto the front and call it a day.

After I installed the passenger wheel (first)....and then installed the driver's side wheel....

Wait a minute....

It appears that the right front tire is further away from the front edge of the fender than the driver's side tire....I am hoping that due to fatigue and darkness setting in....and I was hangry...that this is an optical illusion.

I will go back out in the morning and look at everything....it was getting dark and cold-er (was already freezing cold out)....
Stay tuned....if this thing is 'off' I am going to pull the entire ciip off and possibly even removed the engine and start over....
1964 F-100
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

Driver's side:

Passenger Side:

My wife tells me that the pics look like the tires are turned slightly to the right....if so, then that explains why they look "off"....

Closer:

I think that she is right....I'm just tired right now....
1964 F-100
04sd
United States of America

Post by 04sd »

It sure looks like it's off. The drivers side looks like it's front to far. Why did you move front 1.5" from stock?
Bill
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

Moving the center-line forward makes the wheels look more centered in the opening when lowered. Most guys will move the center-line forward 1 1/2" to 1 3/4" forward for aesthetics. It does look better in my opinion. When you lower the truck without moving the center-line it makes the tire look like it is pushed rearward in the wheel opening. When I moved the right side forward the left side wanted to slide rear-ward....when I went and moved the left side forward the right side moved rearward. I ended up putting the passenger side right on the mark and used a ratchet strap to hold it in place and then moved the left side forward. I checked both sides before welding...
1964 F-100
04sd
United States of America

Post by 04sd »

I think maybe on the twin I beam trucks the front axle was moved front 1" compared to the '64 straight axle. From memory, so maybe I'm off, but I think the wheelbase on a short bed went from 114" in '64 to 115" in '65. I think the right side looks good in both pictures but the left side, especially the first pic but even the second, to far front. Maybe just the angle of the wheels and or camera angle? Do you have it tack welded in place?
Bill
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

Yes...it's tacked. If it is off I will cut the welds and start over :( :roll: :oops:
1964 F-100
Blanger
United States of America

Post by Blanger »

SteveCanup wrote:Yes...it's tacked. If it is off I will cut the welds and start over :( :roll: :oops:
Hope it's just a illusion, but it looks really good, I don't envy you working outside in this type of weather....stay safe.

Jon
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

I had time this morning, before leaving for some appointments and commitments, to go out and check my measurements. It still looks 'off' but with a quick look, everything looks to be on the 'mark.' I don't know if I will get time to work on it today, but definitely tomorrow (unless something comes up). I will pick up some sawzall metal blades to cut the column and some brake fittings while out today. Nothing is beyond fixing...and I will get this right....

STay TuNed.....
1964 F-100
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

It's all good! Optical illusion combined with the fact that the wheels were not pointing straight ahead. Everything IS on the mark...commencing to connect brakes and steering. Plus I need to cut and weld shock towers in.

Stay tuned....
1964 F-100
04sd
United States of America

Post by 04sd »

The older I get the more I double and tripple check things and then still go back and still recheck them again. Then I'll completely weld it together, look at it and check it again even though it's to late unless I cut all of the welds apart.
Bill
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

Out in 25 degree weather for about an hour and a half....it's cold! You would think that it is winter! Got the steering column cut apart from the steering box. The box was a royal pain to get it to drop out of the frame and out of the way. I had to work and wiggle it for quite a while before it finally fell out. Man, was it greasy...sleazy....nasty. I got the steering shaft pulled out of the column tube and took it into my garage and ground a double-D on the bottom end for the Borgeson joint. I'm sure this is going to work out...but it looks like the shaft will run right across the back of the oil filter. I'm still figuring this out, but I don't want to have to remove the steering shaft every time that I change oil.

Anyway...in the midst of all of this I realized that I didn't have my camera with me...so no pics. But I will backtrack and snap pics tomorrow (the high is supposed to be above 32 degrees). Also I have picked up 4 adapters for the brake line to hook the Ford 3/16" to the Jag 10 mm. I will also post some pics of which adapters that I used. I was advised to cut the brake line and put a 10 mm nut and re-flare the brake line...but I do not own such a tool, so I am adding an adapter coupling to each side...it should work.

Stay tuned...I hope to get a little more done tomorrow....
1964 F-100
Blanger
United States of America

Post by Blanger »

SteveCanup wrote:Out in 25 degree weather for about an hour and a half....it's cold!
That's what i call dedication!
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

Blanger wrote:
SteveCanup wrote:Out in 25 degree weather for about an hour and a half....it's cold!
That's what i call dedication!
Jon....really it is insanity. But with 4 layers of clothing, it's not too bad. I'm hoping that it will warm up enough today to get the brake lines installed and finish the steering shaft....

The high is supposed to be mid-30's...I can do this!
1964 F-100
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

First...brakes. Here's a pic of the union and adapters that I used to make my Ford 3/16 fit to the Jag 10 mm. Worked like a charm...

Outer line to the frame...

Union and adapter and brake line connected...

Opened the bleeders and pumped the fluid through...then had my father-in-law help me bleed them. They are ready! Pedal feel is perfect. Stop on a dime...give nine cents change back....

Second...steering. Stupid Fram oil filter is too long. Interfered with the steering shaft. Researched shorter filters went to NAPA got a shorter filter...but it's the wrong filter. I will obtain one by Monday. I left the filter off for now.

Steering looks like it will all connect and work without any issues. I have worked out how I am going to fix the bottom of the steering column tube with a bearing, large washer and the original rubber seal. I will get pics of what I will do with that. The "plus" is that I was able to raise the height of the steering wheel about an inch or inch and a half by raising the column in the cab. This will give the driver a little extra room. Originally you could not do that on the '64's (and other years I would assume) because the steering shaft is one piece all the way down into the steering box. Raising it would have put the column in a bind.

I also did a test fit of the drivers side header (no pics...yet) but I did have to "dingle" one of the tubes that was right against the rack and pinion connector. It is 'clearanced' now...lol. I cut one shock mount out of the original shock absorber mount that was attached to the '64 frame. It will be welded to the Jag crossmember.

Christmas tomorrow with my family...so, weather permitting, Monday or Tuesday I hope to get everything 'buttoned-up' and be able to take it for a drive...I can't wait!

Stay tuned....
1964 F-100