The story of two 1966 Slicks

A place just for our project & build threads.

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

osiyo59

The story of two 1966 Slicks

Post by osiyo59 »

So i am in the process of building 2 trucks. An F100 that will be a Mercury M100 clone since I don't live near Canada and they're not so common in California. The second is an F250 I picked up from a storage facility lien sale for $300 with a running 428 under the bonnet. Follow along as I build these 2 trucks for my daughters. I have plenty of time because my oldest is only 2 1/2 and my youngest will be born in September this year. Neither of these will be restored to stock restorations. I can appreciate a nice restored truck but I like customizing, it's what I do. So here are a couple photos of the trucks as I got them. I will update this as I go along. The F250 is my focus at the moment because I need it as a daily driver so a lot of what I am doing right now is mechanical/safty upgrades. This includes completely refreshing and painting the 428 and C6. A front disc conversion from a 1973 donor and eventually a rear disc from a 2000 Econoline 250.

This is how I found it at the storage yard. The camper was so loaded with trash and junk that I had to get a dumpster to get rid of it.
After removing the junk and the camper I found a decent truck underneath it all
Thought is was a 390ci and once I got the headsa off I found it was a 428ci!
osiyo59

Re: The story of two 1966 Slicks

Post by osiyo59 »

So here is the F100. Bought this truck up in Bend Oregon in February of 2011. Drove it out of Bend through a snow storm with a heater working just enough to keep the windshield from frosting up. Maiden run was 600 miles from Bend to San Jose Ca. First 30 miles took 3 hours because of the snow. It was definitely an adventure. The truck was a bone stock, 65000 original mile farm truck. Had a 300ci with a 4 speed. I rewired the entire truck and drove it for a year. Decided I wanted to do a ground up rebuild with some slight modifications to stance and drive-line. Tore it down to the frame and started gathering parts. So here a re a few pics of where we started and a sneak peak where we are headed with it...

As I got it in Oregon
ImageImage

A few new parts for the upcoming modifications
ImageImage
orangeRcode
United States of America

Post by orangeRcode »

2 Very nice trucks. Keep us updated on your progress.
osiyo59

Post by osiyo59 »

So got the engine and trans out the other night. Put the trans on a dolley and put it away for now. Got the engine on a stand and discovered that, what I thought was going to be a standard passenger car 428 was really a 428 Cobra Jet! Here are a few picks of what I found
foodstick

Post by foodstick »

I don't know how to tell from the pics, but you obviously do ! great job !

I can't even imagine what one of our trucks drove like with that motor and stock brakes !
osiyo59

Post by osiyo59 »

Well Foodstick, it was actually kinda slugish due to the drum brakes binding but, you could tell it wanted to get up and go.

So after a few conversations with some of my car buddies (including kstones63) I have decided to sell the 428. As cool as it would be to have the bragging rights with it under the hood, This is going to be a daily driver so I am going back to my original plan of a 5.8L EFI with an AOD. Not that I have a long commute but I want the reliability of a late model engine and the better fuel economy with the overdrive.
LM14
United States of America

Post by LM14 »

Sell the 428 to the right guy and fund a good part of your build.

SPark
1932 Ford 5 window coupe. 302/C4
1962 8V-390/C6 Unibody Short Bed Soon to be Big Window - The Lincoln that never was
2013 F150 Super Crew Eco Boost 4x4
2015 Ford Edge for the little lady, because she said so!
2007 Mustang GT, 4.6-3V/5 Speed. Only 8680 miles on the clock.

More toys, I need more toys!!!
osiyo59

Post by osiyo59 »

That's the intension LM14. Should bring decent money.

So after a lot more research, this is what I found about my 428. The block is actually a 71 Ford "service block" and what that is is a block that was sold over the parts counter from Ford. It is a true Cobra Jet. It was never installed at the assembly plant. All the internals are 1968 vintage and the block is still standard bore of 4.13". Now that I have figured out the mystery of the engine I need to find out if the c6 is also a true CJ trans. If so, it could be worth as much as the motor from what I am seeing online. Just don't know right now.
orangeRcode
United States of America

Post by orangeRcode »

Wow, that's good news. Never know what you got til you peel back the layers. You definitely scored big on this one. Should go a ways to funding the rest of your build. 8)
osiyo59

Post by osiyo59 »

Went up to Fremont today and stripped a 65 today. Got the whole front clip with a 66 grille, complete doors, tailgate, aluminum side trim except right side rear corner and all the interior bits and bobs. Also got a brand new front windshield and a new tempered rear glass. All for $300. Unfortunately had to leave a perfect rust free cab behind. I've posted in the truck talk forum Richards contact info for anyone needing a cab. It goes to the scrapper next weekend if no one grabs it. Cab is completely bare and sitting on the chassis unbolted. Be such a shame if no one grabs it.
osiyo59

Post by osiyo59 »

Got a few more steps forward on the F250. Pulled all the wiring harness out and stripped the interior so I could scrub the smell n grunge out. I need to patch up a couple holes in the trans cover. Gonna take the truck to a steam cleaner and get the engine bay, under carriage steam cleaned. I am using white spray on bed liner in the interior floor and back panel for sound deadening and a just cause it will look nice. Image
osiyo59

Post by osiyo59 »

So I have sold the 428cj and essentially have more than doubled what I had originally paid for the whole truck. Now I have to decide between a either a 4.9l EFI inline 6 or a roller 5.8L efi. They both have pros and cons so it has been a difficult decision. If I could find one at a good price I would just throw a 7.3l turbo diesel in it but used emgines are getting expensive for some reason.
osiyo59

Post by osiyo59 »

So after a ton of migraine inducing research on fuel injected options, I have settled on a 5.8L with an E4OD. Now the issue I was running into is I wanted to go with the OBD2 for its programming capabilities and better processing ability. The issue I was running into was the vehical speed sensor that runs the electric speedo is run from th ABS sensor on the rear diff. I have an AOD from a 1990 that had a mechanical output and VSS directly on the tail shaft but won't work with obd2 computer. The E4OD doesn't have the ability to run a mechanical speedo. So, to fix the issue I am going to install a Dana 70 from an Econoline 350 complete with disc brakes. This has the VSS in the diff and I can just run a converter to my mechanical stock speedo. Phew! That was just as long to type out as it was figuring out what to do. So in the end it will look like a 1966 F250 but under the skin it will be a 1996. Should last for many more years to come. I will start posting pics when I get stuck into it. Anyone who has done something similar feel free to add your experiences on here.
rbeck204
United States of America

Post by rbeck204 »

Simpler solution to your speedo issue is to buy a VSS to mechanical speedo converter from Dakota Digital or Cable X. I used one in my uni and it works great with the early truck rear end.
Rich
61 T Bird Convertible
1953 Ford Customline 2 door
osiyo59

Post by osiyo59 »

I will have to get that converter Rich but the issue is the AOD working with the obd2 ECU. If the computer isn't getting a signal from the tranny it will throw codes and may affect how the engine runs. It will just give me peace of mind to know that all the components in the driveline are compatible. With each other. Not to mention it's an excuse to get the Econoline rear end and have a taller gear ratio and rear disc brakes as well.
Alan Mclennan
Australia

Post by Alan Mclennan »

osiyo59 wrote:I will have to get that converter Rich but the issue is the AOD working with the obd2 ECU. If the computer isn't getting a signal from the tranny it will throw codes and may affect how the engine runs. It will just give me peace of mind to know that all the components in the driveline are compatible. With each other. Not to mention it's an excuse to get the Econoline rear end and have a taller gear ratio and rear disc brakes as well.

So whens the big move osiyo59 ? :D
Honey, If I say I`ll fix something I will, there`s no need to remind me every 6 months!!
66 f100 tabletop swb 351 Clevo C6 "Beryl"

Slick Stock 3 KCMO
Slick Stock 4 Altoona
Slick Stock 5 KCMO
Slick Stock 6 Altoona
Slick Stock 7 Salina KS
Slick Stock 8.............................. cry.gif
orangeRcode
United States of America

Post by orangeRcode »

Did any of you boys down under ever hear from osiyo59?