'62 F250 Monster Hauler build

A place just for our project & build threads.

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

unibody madness
United States of America

Re: '62 F250 Monster Hauler build

Post by unibody madness »

Lance,
Having Tim redo your motor is awesome, it sounds and looks great. If you do not mind sharing, in round figures what do you have in the Y block? If not here, PM me.
I only ask because I have a 312 sitting in the wings that could use a freshening, and I know what I paid to have the 292 done locally.
Turk build thread at:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=18944

It does not matter what you think, it only matters what you do about it!
Lancer
United States of America

Post by Lancer »

LM14 wrote:The 67 and up deal is only for 65-66 1/2 ton trucks with the twin I beams.

SPark

Ya, thats what I'm finding. Half tons are all the rage ha ha. Nobody wants to build a work truck.
bruceandersson

Post by bruceandersson »

Actually, you'd have to check the kingpin size, but I think it will work for all years of slicks. It's real easy for a 65 or 66 as you just replace the whole twin ibeam setup in an afternoon. For the 64 and earlier trucks, you have to replace the drum spindles with the disk spindles from a 67-79 F250 on your straight axle. I ran into someone at the f100 nationals a few years ago that did this on their 64 (yes it was a half ton).

For the question about rebuilding a 312. The main bearings were what drove the cost up beyond a 292 that last time I rebuilt one. Due to its two year run (vs 55-64 for the 292) they were not being remanufactured at the time. If I recall correctly this added about $200 to the rebuild cost. This was a while ago, so they may have run more and dropped the price, or they can be even harder to find and the price has gone up. Machine work should be the same. The biggest thing to watch out for is that they get the cam bearings in correct to allow oil flow to the lifters. I've have to reset a few of these after machine work.
Lancer
United States of America

Post by Lancer »

Sorted out the brackets for the alternator upgrade.
Lancer
United States of America

Post by Lancer »

Fan is painted. Getting closer to final assembly.
Lancer
United States of America

Post by Lancer »

Closer, should fire it this weekend.
Lancer
United States of America

Post by Lancer »

Been a while since I posted. i did fire the engine and broke it in. Ran very well, only a couple of minor leaks where my radiator hose connected, easily fixed. Cam sounds ridicules, Tim really did a great job on this little budget build. Big parts order came in yesterday. Driveline is all rebuilt and ready to go. New throw out bearing arrived so I can get the trans and driveline all back in place. Hope to get that done this weekend. Need to finish spraying the doors so I can get the assembled with all the new goodies I have. I still need inside door panels. The guy I bought the truck from was supposed to get them to me but never did. Hit me up if you have a set and if your local to Modesto even better. My wheels are all cleaned up, just need to primer and prep for paint. Can't wait to see them red. Part of my exhaust came in as well.
More pics and updates soon.
Lancer
United States of America

Post by Lancer »

Its been a while since I posted an update. Its been a very busy summer. I started a business and its taking all my energy. I was able to start on the exhaust last night. Pipes are welded and I was able to get one muffler welded on as well, no pics of that yet. Trying to finish it tonight then I need to pick up some hangers. Can't wait to hear it with the exhaust on it. I ordered my fuel sending unit today so that will be in next week. I need to get back on the back brakes and once I install the carb linkage it will be able to move under its own power finally. Hopefully sooner than later. More updates to come.
Lancer
United States of America

Post by Lancer »

It looks like I forgot to post up a pic of the finished wheels.
Lancer
United States of America

Post by Lancer »

Tonight I pulled the tank out of the monster hauler. I’ve been dreading it since the day I got the truck. There was about a cup of old gas in it which I was happy about. Too much fuel means I would have to take it to the hazard waste facility. No gas could mean more rust. It was dark when I took the pics. I’ll grab one of the tank bottom tomorrow. The tank from the outside is very solid and looks almost new. I can thank the dry Nevada weather for that. My new fuel sending unit came in so I am good to go once the tank is cleaned a bit more.

Anyone have advice on cleaning out the tank inside a little more before I put it back in? I need to look inside more tomorrow with a flashlight to assess but I am encouraged.
bruceandersson

Post by bruceandersson »

If there is rust on the inside, I've used muriactic acid and water overnight to get a completely clean tank. Always add acid to the tank almost full of water the top with water. Mix is 20:1. Rinse the next day with a lot of water and dry with a heat gun. They come out looking like new. Then the tank sealer might actually work. I use Red Kote to coat the inside of tanks. Its what the professionals use.
Lancer
United States of America

Post by Lancer »

Exhaust is finally fully welded and installed tonight.

Here is an inside the tank view. Pretty clean considering its sat for 12 plus years. My only issue is the pick up tube is clogged. Working on that now.
unibody madness
United States of America

Great progress on your build, thanks for the pm.
I use lacquer THINNER to dissolve old gas. Slosh about 1/3 gallon around and let sit for about and hour and check progress. You may have to repeat. I would then try the acid trick. The lacquerTHINNER trick should work on the pick up tube as well, pour a small amount in,let sit, then try compressed air from the top, make sure you have a catch cloth or empty pop can over the bottom to catch blow out.

Corrected post to read thinner
Last edited by unibody madness on October 16, 2015, 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Turk build thread at:

Lancer
United States of America

Post by Lancer »

I've ran a few cleaners through it now, the pick up tube is still clogged. I think whats on the bottom is a fine layer of rust so I have some rust dissolver I'm going to try next. Still working on that darn tube though. Hope I can get that opened up. The rest of the tank looks really good though. Getting closer.
bruceandersson

Post by bruceandersson »

It looked more like the varnish that ends up after sitting for a long time, This would explain the pickup tub issue. I'd try running a wire down the tube to try and get the plug out. Not sure what dissolves varnish, you could put some acetone down there at it dissolves almost anything and would not hurt the steel.
unibody madness
United States of America

Lance,Bruce
I corrected my post above to read thinner, I find it works better than acetone, if the lacquer thinner does not quite get it, I use M.E.K. I use it to melt old varnish when refinishing old furniture, if it works on wood it should work on steel, a pint should do the trick.
1) it is extremely volatile, so use out doors,
2) it evaporates really quickly, so you must work fast,
3) you will need to rinse with the thinner after.
I have never tried the acid trick or 'Red Kote', but will on my next tank.
Turk build thread at:

Lancer
United States of America

Post by Lancer »

Floor pans cleaned and POR15 applied. Also did more cleaning on the gas tank, its almost ready to reinstall. I finally got the pick up tube open which was my biggest concern. Now to prep and paint the jams and then I can get the doors back on.
Lancer
United States of America

Post by Lancer »

Radiator is back in. Fixed the couple of minor leaks from when I broke it in a few months back. Fuel lines hooked up. Just need to add some water and do a final leak check. Fuel tank is just about ready to go back in place with new sending unit installed. Hope to get that done tomorrow. Then I can fire it and hear it through the exhaust for the first time. Set timing, adjust the carb and we'll be in business. Was able to get the throttle rod on and adjusted to it will open it up all the way.
624WD

Post by 624WD »

Did you return the radiator to the vendor? How was the lower hose location resolved? tom (project is looking good!!!!!)
Lancer
United States of America

Post by Lancer »

@624WD I took it to a local shop where they moved over the lower hose connection. I didin't want to hassle with sending it out etc. so I just had it fixed. I just had to order another for our drag car, I made sure it had the port on the correct side for the Y-Block this time.

So the Monster Hauler is ready to fire, but won't fire? Checked coil, wires etc. Thinking it may be the points, need to grab a new set and swap them out. Really odd, ran perfect for the break in three months ago, just been sitting since then while I worked on other things. Guessing it could have gotten hot, maybe grounded out or something during the break in and then after it cooled, broke? Should know soon.