Sheriff Truck--61 Uni on 08 CVPI

A place just for our project & build threads.

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

colt22
United States of America

Re: Sheriff Truck--61 Uni on 08 CVPI

Post by colt22 »

Truck looks awesome!
viper driver

Post by viper driver »

got the seat back. Dave Damitz upholstery in Tucson did it for me, ended up with 4" foam on the bottom and 1" foam for the back. Plus he uses about 1/2" in the cover for the pattern. originally I had wanted 50's style diner metal flake vinyl, but found out that doesn't hold up very well. so, I used boat vinyl instead which should last well. I'm really happy with it.
Attachments
IMG_5156.JPG
IMG_5156.JPG (170.23 KiB) Viewed 3462 times
IMG_5152.JPG
IMG_5152.JPG (174.65 KiB) Viewed 3462 times
viper driver

Post by viper driver »

line-x bedliner. came out great. 150 miles on it now, drives great.

The cab has zero foot room. that is really the only thing I'd change, but I really can't see much way to gain any more room. I've got the pedals at one end, and the seat at the extreme other end. I'm not a tall guy, maybe someday I'll cut the footwell out and move it forward about a foot.
Attachments
IMG_5206.JPG
IMG_5206.JPG (118.17 KiB) Viewed 3459 times
IMG_5205.JPG
IMG_5205.JPG (97.75 KiB) Viewed 3459 times
IMG_5189.JPG
IMG_5189.JPG (107.06 KiB) Viewed 3459 times
jkimbrel65
United States of America

Post by jkimbrel65 »

Very nice

Mike
I tried being normal once...
was the worst 10 minutes of my life
Mojave922
United States of America

Post by Mojave922 »

Amazing build! Do you live in the Phoenix area? I live in Surprise. Would love to see the truck in person and talk shop. Let me know if you're going to a cruise night or other way we could get together.

David
David

65 F100 swb (352 3 spd manual, not running)

Previous rides:
69 Bronco, completed frame-off restoration
07 Kawasaki KLR650
92 Acura Integra GSR
65 Mustang 2+2 A-code
67 Mustang coupe C-code
viper driver

Post by viper driver »

worked on the hood fit quite a bit. it's really nice now, totally happy with it. I guess my original hinges are in pretty good shape after all.
Attachments
IMG_5210.JPG
IMG_5210.JPG (78.91 KiB) Viewed 3396 times
IMG_5209.JPG
IMG_5209.JPG (68.82 KiB) Viewed 3396 times
Last edited by viper driver on July 5, 2016, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
viper driver

Post by viper driver »

here's a photo of the seat installed.

Overall, what I think of the truck and the build after 350 miles--it's great. If I had it to do over again, here's what I'd change.

Restoring the truck was way more work than making the old body fit the Crown Vic. We estimate somewhere around 1200-1500 hours into it, and 70% or more of that was just restoring it. Only about 30% was making the mechanical part fit and work. Next time, I'd get a truck good enough to leave as is. Easier said than done, as unibody trucks are so so hard to find. But, I'd try harder and pay a lot more for one that was good enough as is. Next, I'd mess with the driver's side footwell. I have still never even seen another unibody in person, so I'd never sat in one. Mine had no seat nor pedals when I got it. There isn't enough room compared to a modern vehicle. My wife is 5' tall and she drives with the seat all the way back against the rear wall, same as me. I'd like 6" more in the footwell, and that would have been so easy to do when the cab was off the frame. Not sure if I'd use the CV floor or just extend the truck floor.

The CV running gear is just awesome. It runs, rides, steers, and stops so well. The AC is amazing, probably better than my 2010 Raptor's AC. I love the color. EVERY car on the road is white, silver, or black. It's fun to have a 60s color.

I'm still not totally sold on the wheels. They're cheap and fit, but I'll probably keep looking around for something else.

About all that's left is the radio and headliner. I have the headliner, but looks like it's just a beast to try and install the cardboard without ruining it. The wiring for the radio is all there, but I've just been having too much fun driving to mess with it.

also, gotta do something about the exhaust. I cannot hear it at all, pretty sure I can hear the power steering pump over either the motor or exhaust. It doesn't need to be straight pipe loud, but at least audible.
Attachments
IMG_5277.JPG
IMG_5277.JPG (33.93 KiB) Viewed 3396 times
IMG_5211.JPG
IMG_5211.JPG (29.18 KiB) Viewed 3396 times
beamero

Post by beamero »

Great looking truck! The work really paid off!
1962 F100
viper driver

Post by viper driver »

over 4,000 miles on the build now. it's great! finally got around to installing the OEM style cardboard headliner. I was dreading it, but it turned out to be easy. I wet the parts to be curved well with a spray bottle. Then, my brother and I each pushed a side up while I screwed in a few screws to hold it in place. worked well with no problems.

having a dome light is a luxury I've done without for months, it's nice to have!

Last edited by viper driver on December 27, 2016, 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
viper driver

Post by viper driver »

I finally installed the stereo into the glove box as well. My wired remote beneath the seat is great--that remote combined with bluetooth means I really never have to look at the head unit in the glove box at all.

I'm having lots of fun with the truck as my daily driver. it cruises at 80 no problem on the freeway like any other 2008 crown vic would. i'm planning to take it on a thousand mile road trip in a couple weeks, now that it's got several thousand trouble free miles on it.

i'm also planning to mess with the wheels and stance a bit soon, as I try a couple other ideas to find something I maybe like better.
viper driver

Post by viper driver »

my new stance idea. the stock CVPI wheels, modded a bit.

it's a little tough to tell from the image, since the wheel and tire black are so similar. I dig it in real life though, this is much better.
Last edited by viper driver on January 1, 2017, 7:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.
viper driver

Post by viper driver »

235 55 17 tires up front 245 65 17 in the rear. barely fits, but I think it'll work. I never cared much for the bullitt wheels, but they were cheap and other people liked them. guess they were ok.

I put black tape over the holes in the wheels, to make a sort of smoothie looking wheel. I'll use metal of course. Actually,the tape is sure easier! took about 5 minutes vs a day probably to use metal.

I already ordered the ford hubcaps. in the pictures I made some from paper, just to see how they'd work. of course the style I like isn't made anymore, even in china, so I had to find some real ones from the 60s. I think I want them white with red lettering, but we'll see.

the rear couldn't go any lower, or there'd be no possible way to get the wheel on. sure, bags could do it. I'd prefer to not do that if possible, just for the ease and reliability of a static ride vehicle. the front could get lowered another inch, I'll probably try it later on. I think another inch of rake would look ok, and the front could still get full lock for parking lots. any bumps and it'd rub, but I think it'll work an inch lower up front. I'll probably get some other springs and try it.
Last edited by viper driver on January 1, 2017, 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
viper driver

Post by viper driver »

12363 12366

my bike rack! bolted a Yakima high roller into the bed, shown here with a Trek Top Fuel 9.9SL easily worth more than this truck. I've been letting my bikes bang around in the bed for the last 6 months, figured it was time for something better.

neat because it folds flat and totally out of view when not in use, and can be unbolted if I need the entire bed or want to use the rack on another car.
viper driver

Post by viper driver »

viper driver wrote: also, gotta do something about the exhaust. I cannot hear it at all, pretty sure I can hear the power steering pump over either the motor or exhaust. It doesn't need to be straight pipe loud, but at least audible.
did something about this too. added dynomax universal fit mufflers. they look like glass pack cherry bomb type, straight through round, about $35 a piece if I remember right. it's much better now.
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

Just a suggestion...although the wheels look great in black, a cream color on the wheels would really pop with the green paint. I like your idea of covering the holes on the wheels for a smoothie look. I am running 17 inch Dodge Ram wheels on my '64 and I have thought about welding 'plugs' into the oval holes in the wheels.
1964 F-100
viper driver

Post by viper driver »

SteveCanup wrote:Just a suggestion...although the wheels look great in black, a cream color on the wheels would really pop with the green paint. I like your idea of covering the holes on the wheels for a smoothie look. I am running 17 inch Dodge Ram wheels on my '64 and I have thought about welding 'plugs' into the oval holes in the wheels.

Great idea. I'll rattle can one wheel black, one cream, and one red just to try. See what sticks and then paint them all whichever is best!
Justind
United States of America

Post by Justind »

do you think it will make them hard to balance? I had thought about doing the same thing but thought it may mess up the balance of the wheel.
viper driver

Post by viper driver »

Justind wrote:do you think it will make them hard to balance? I had thought about doing the same thing but thought it may mess up the balance of the wheel.
I don't think so, but that is a good point. It'll be easy to use some scales and "corner balance" the wheel before I have a tire mounted. I can use some weld to get it nearly perfect. I'll document how it works out here.
mercuryv8
Canada

Post by mercuryv8 »

viper driver wrote:
Justind wrote:do you think it will make them hard to balance? I had thought about doing the same thing but thought it may mess up the balance of the wheel.
I don't think so, but that is a good point. It'll be easy to use some scales and "corner balance" the wheel before I have a tire mounted. I can use some weld to get it nearly perfect. I'll document how it works out here.
I wouldn't worry about it too much. I worked for a while welding up repairs on aluminium rims and we never had a problem with balance afterwards.

Nic
viper driver

Post by viper driver »

Wheels are coming along. I tried white, it wasn't for me. They'll be black. Got a set of hubcaps as well, but I don't like them. I may keep looking, maybe a spider cap, none, or a small moon cap. Maybe some 46 ford caps...?