Just another '62 Mercury long box uni.

A place just for our project & build threads.

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Brucekoukalaka
Canada

Just another '62 Mercury long box uni.

Post by Brucekoukalaka »

This is my '62 Merc which was a gift from a scrap yard for getting an old 'Binder dump truck running
010.JPG
010.JPG (1.58 MiB) Viewed 4901 times
The hood I salvaged from a '66 F350 and the 360FE engine/ 4 speed trans combo I'll be putting into it is sitting in a '72 F350 I also have the complete run of the scrap yard to gather any other parts I may need/find.
They wouldn't hire me at A&W so I became an automotive technician!
slickmainer
United States of America

Re: Just another '62 Mercury long box uni.

Post by slickmainer »

access to a good yard is always a nice thing. good luck
--Gregg--
you can't get there from here
The Big M
Canada

Post by The Big M »

Nice find, Bruce!

Pic was a bit big so I resized if for you. :)
Attachments
010-resized.jpg
010-resized.jpg (866.32 KiB) Viewed 4891 times
Brucekoukalaka
Canada

Post by Brucekoukalaka »

Thanks.... Now that we have that funny white crap all over the place, I'm needing to find a garage to work in. Otherwise the truck will be sitting outside in the bone-yard where it presently sits. The engine (a stock360) and 4 speed is sitting about 200 meters away in another truck unless I decide to pull my '53 International apart and use the 7.3/5 speed combo to replace the seized 223 / 3 speed...Decisions decisions! I also have a little 2.3litre 6 cylinder and 3 speed combo from a British Chevy for some other project. I'm still trying to get the pictures smaller as they are too hard to see on my laptop.
Brucekoukalaka
Canada

Post by Brucekoukalaka »

Here's a little video of my walk around the truck; http://vid1073.photobucket.com/albums/w ... fy7dkk.mp4

A cinematographer I'm not!!!
Brucekoukalaka
Canada

Post by Brucekoukalaka »

I also found a set of 16" 5 on 5.5" rims from an old bump-side that will be under the old girl wearing a set of 215/85 16 tires that I got last summer for another project that is on hold until I get this one finished.
Brucekoukalaka
Canada

Post by Brucekoukalaka »

I found an F350 in the yard that I'll be scavenging parts from such as the front and rear spring shackles (someone put on ridiculously short ones up front). I'm curious about what I found on the ID tag concerning engine, I know it's a '61 by the grill so What does NR mean where the engine section is on the tag?
The Big M
Canada

Post by The Big M »

Hey Bruce, engine code NR would indicate a 292 V8. The N prefix indicates 1961. See the VIN decode link in my signature for more info. :)
unibody madness
United States of America

Post by unibody madness »

That's a 62 grille 61 is just two straight bars nothing in the center
Turk build thread at:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=18944

It does not matter what you think, it only matters what you do about it!
Brucekoukalaka
Canada

Post by Brucekoukalaka »

unibody madness wrote:That's a 62 grille 61 is just two straight bars nothing in the center
I know mine to be a '62, the '61 is from the F350 cab and chassis that I am getting the front shackles and some other parts from 8)
Brucekoukalaka
Canada

Post by Brucekoukalaka »

I was out at the truck today (after getting stuck for 2 hours) and am decidedly unhappy with the way the truck is looking right now, the cross bracing under the front of the cab is in worse shape than I originally thought, the torque box is toast and the bed floor is in poor shape (I was unable to get underneath to look at these areas earlier due to muddy conditions in the yard) The body panels are all dented, driveshaft is bent badly thanks to them moving the truck with a forklift. and the front shackles were removed and replaced with very short pieces of stock giving absolutely no movement. The good however is the radiator support is in excellent condition, I can use a 360 engine from a '72 F350 backed by a 4 speed, there is a '61 F350 nearby that I'll rob the steering column from and I still have the run of the yard for other bits and pieces. I also plan on moving the truck home soon so I will be able to really get into it.
Brucekoukalaka
Canada

Post by Brucekoukalaka »

I got the old girl home and started fixing the body, I removed the front clip and then pulled the engine... Now to decide which way to go... The 360, another 223, or something entirely different (Don't worry I will NEVER EVER dump a shitbox chev in between the frame rails of ANYTHING!!!!!!). I have also decided to move the fuel tank from inside the cab but haven't quite figured out where it is going yet.
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Well you got your work cut out for you to be sure. I'd say it's better than average for the unis I have seen in Alberta, but they are usually quite far gone unless someone kept them in the barn. I'd guess that half the merc unis I ever saw were that metallic turquoise colour, it must have been popular back then. Where are you located in Alberta?
Best o luck
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
Brucekoukalaka
Canada

Post by Brucekoukalaka »

I guess I should let everyone know, I've moved up near Tofield Alberta to an acreage where I have a 3 car garage to work on the uni. Just before I moved here I bought new kingpins and front shackles. Now to get the truck into the garage (still cleaning up one hell of a mess inside) so I can concentrate on getting the old girl up and running. I also got the 360/granny 4 speed out of the '72 F350 to tear down and rebuild for her. I am considering hopping up the engine with a stroked crank and a bit of an over-bore, maybe .030-.060 I don't want to get too radical with it but I want to be able to power out of it's own way.
Brucekoukalaka
Canada

Post by Brucekoukalaka »

Well I decided to let the old girl go, I traded her this morning for a '52 Ford that is in 3 times better shape; cab is in great shape, floors are solid, and it has the original flathead engine that is not seized and a 4 speed.
mercuryv8
Canada

Post by mercuryv8 »

That's too bad, maybe the new owner will become a member here. :)

Let's see a few picks of your new to you '52

Nic
Brucekoukalaka
Canada

Post by Brucekoukalaka »

Here's a pic or two of my new truck;
ImageImage
orangeRcode
United States of America

Post by orangeRcode »

Love me some flattie. Looks like a good project. Good luck!
mercuryv8
Canada

Post by mercuryv8 »

Nice