my 66 f100

A place just for our project & build threads.

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

MY OL 66
United States of America

Re: my 66 f100

Post by MY OL 66 »

bruceandersson wrote:I do not think these trucks came with the safety and reverse switches. They did not have backup lights. I do not recall what transmission you are using. Some c-6's came with the switch at the shift arm on the transmission itself. Most were on the column. You might want to take a look at later ford trucks and see how they did this.
Based on having worked on a C-4 out of a '65 Mustang (should be similar if not the same as the C-6), the neutral safety switch mounts on the shift arm on the side of the transmission. (These switches are also usually available from a local parts store)

It has a wire (or wires) that would tie into the ignition wires that allow the current to flow to the solenoid when the transmission is either in park or neutral.

This is usually separate from the backup light switch (my Mustang does not have backup lights, hence did not need that switch).

The actual hook up points for the wiring can most likely be found in the wiring diagram showing the starting circuit.
Steve F
1965 Mustang Coupe
1966 F-100 Shortbed CC/Ranger
2010 Mustang GT Convertible
2010 Shelby GT500 Convertible
66redrider

Post by 66redrider »

bruceandersson wrote:I do not think these trucks came with the safety and reverse switches. They did not have backup lights. I do not recall what transmission you are using. Some c-6's came with the switch at the shift arm on the transmission itself. Most were on the column. You might want to take a look at later ford trucks and see how they did this.
I didn't even realize that the truck had no reverse lights. I am running a c6 transmission but didn't see any switch on it. The shifter I am installing from b&m has the neutral safety switch and reverse switch attached to it. Doing a quick search I seen I can add 67-72 tail lights that came with backup lights but I have no clue how they would get wired up.
I've been thinking for the neutral safety switch that I could possibly tap into the ignition power source?
MY OL 66
United States of America

Post by MY OL 66 »

66redrider wrote:
I didn't even realize that the truck had no reverse lights. I am running a c6 transmission but didn't see any switch on it. The shifter I am installing from b&m has the neutral safety switch and reverse switch attached to it. Doing a quick search I seen I can add 67-72 tail lights that came with backup lights but I have no clue how they would get wired up.
I've been thinking for the neutral safety switch that I could possibly tap into the ignition power source?
No, you do not need "power" to the neutral safety switch.

It is a power interruption switch that prevents the starter solenoid from being engaged when the transmission is not in either neutral or park.

As I stated above, it is wired into the circuit between the ignition switch and the starter solenoid
Steve F
1965 Mustang Coupe
1966 F-100 Shortbed CC/Ranger
2010 Mustang GT Convertible
2010 Shelby GT500 Convertible
66redrider

Post by 66redrider »

MY OL 66 wrote:
66redrider wrote:
No, you do not need "power" to the neutral safety switch.

It is a power interruption switch that prevents the starter solenoid from being engaged when the transmission is not in either neutral or park.

As I stated above, it is wired into the circuit between the ignition switch and the starter solenoid
Thanks.

The switch on the shifter only has a spot for one wire to come off of it to tie into where it needs to go.
66redrider

Post by 66redrider »

So last week I attempted to swap out the rear tail lights for the 67-72 and wire up the reverse lights and I am getting nothing.... my concern is on the shifter the reverse and neutral safety switches have 2 plugs but I only have one wire going to each.... what would the other plug be for? Grounding? B&m doesn't give good instructions on this part
bruceandersson

Post by bruceandersson »

For you backup lights, you need to have a switched power source going to one wire on the switch, the other connection would go to the positive connection in the backup lights. For the neutral safety switch, you take the starter switch to solenoid wire and route that to one terminal and the other terminal back to the solenoid. Both switches on your shifter should be open (infinite resistance) except when iint he correct position - R for backups and P or N for safety. I'd verify the backup light wiring is working by shorting the positive lead directly to the battery as well. Those old sockets can have some issues.
66redrider

Post by 66redrider »

bruceandersson wrote:For you backup lights, you need to have a switched power source going to one wire on the switch, the other connection would go to the positive connection in the backup lights. For the neutral safety switch, you take the starter switch to solenoid wire and route that to one terminal and the other terminal back to the solenoid. Both switches on your shifter should be open (infinite resistance) except when iint he correct position - R for backups and P or N for safety. I'd verify the backup light wiring is working by shorting the positive lead directly to the battery as well. Those old sockets can have some issues.
Well I bought brand new buckets from luv with a universal wiring kit from there as well which has you hook up to the toggle switch but I didn't want to use the toggle switch, I wanted to use the switch on the shifter...
66redrider

Post by 66redrider »

I now have reverse lights

Tried loading a picture but tells me board quota met and photobuckey now wants you to have the upgraded version to link photos etc so until I figure this one out
66redrider

Post by 66redrider »

Truck ran for about 15 secs today.... was nice to hear it come alive
66redrider

Post by 66redrider »

Well nothing picture worthy but after a year long battle with the transmission swap I was able to start it up and back it out of the garage and pulled it right back in. It was exciting to have shifted the auto into gear and trick move. I have tires on order since ones on it are shot and once I get those on and some gas in the truck I will take it for a test drive to make sure it shifts correctly
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

Right on. Even if you think it’s not picture worthy- I post one anyway cause we all like looking at pictures :D
The months may change, but I am always APRIL
'63 F100 Custom Cab 223inline 6, 3speed manual- mostly stock
https://www.youtube.com/coastiereid
Truck has been home in CA,OR,WA,NJ,VA since it's birth in San Jose Jan63
66redrider

Post by 66redrider »

shipwrecked wrote:Right on. Even if you think it’s not picture worthy- I post one anyway cause we all like looking at pictures :D
When I get the new tires on and pull it back out of the garage I will snap a few pics