Crown Victoria - Years for frame swap

A place just for our project & build threads.

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

beamero

Crown Victoria - Years for frame swap

Post by beamero »

Hello All!
I have run some searches on the forums here, but am unable to find what I'm looking for. I have a 1962 F100 flareside. I'm looking at getting a 2003 or newer crown vic from government auction. I would like to do a full-frame swap, but utilize a different engine and transmission for the project.

Question: Is there a "better choice" year Crown Victoria to use for what I want to do? Will the 2008-2011 work as well as the 03-07?

Thanks!

Stephen
1962 F100
viper driver

Re: Crown Victoria - Years for frame swap

Post by viper driver »

98-02 would be narrower and allow smaller diameter wheels. 03 and up would will all be the same for the parts you are going to use. I'd get the older version if I were you. 03 up rides a bit better but probably really hard to even tell in this application.

If you're set on a government auction I'm sure they're all 03 up so it doesn't matter. Buy the cheapest one you can find. The frame with no body or drivetrain is worth almost nothing. Good luck.
beamero

Post by beamero »

Thanks much! I replied to this last night, but I guess I didn't hit post. I plan to swap in an '11-14 Ford Coyote 5.0 engine if all goes well. My grandfather gave me the truck when I was 12, and I've had it completely apart and back together. Biggest accomplishment was putting a 302 V8 in it when I was in high school.
1962 F100
foodstick

Post by foodstick »

I used the older square 1986 Crown vic, the wheel base is pretty much dead on for a short uni, and I put slightly smaller than stock tires on front, and restricted the turn a tiny bit so as not to really rip up a fender.... it depends a lot on how far you drop the body.
beamero

Post by beamero »

I know I'm moving slow, but I was recently able to obtain a 98 PI. Rear End was just recently pulled, but everything else is there. After I thought about it for a while, I may just want to swap over the front end to my frame, and avoid the entire frame swap. If I go this route, I should probably look for an 03 and up CV right? I was also thinking about sourcing a wrecked mustang >=2011, so I would have access to the drivetrain and rear end.
1962 F100
orangeRcode
United States of America

Post by orangeRcode »

You will need to check the width of the newer mustang. They are trac-loc w/31 splines so are plenty heavy enough. I must admit that I'm not completely up on newest Mustangs. I currently only own 3 but the newest is 2005. When did they go to IRS? 2015? I'm looking at doing a swap on my 65 long bed. I have owned CVPI in the past but currently they seem to have drastically increased in price thereby losing their appeal. I'm going to pick up the CV cradle and look elsewhere for the drivetrain donor. Would love a coyote donor but that's not in budget so will likely be an older 5.0 Mustang or Exploder. Keep us updated on your progress, no matter how slow. Many of us move slowly on these projects. :cheers:
beamero

Post by beamero »

Yeah, the 2015s have the "Super 8.8" with IRS. I only paid $175 for the Crown Vic. Pretty sure scrap value is currently higher than that.
1962 F100
orangeRcode
United States of America

Post by orangeRcode »

beamero wrote:Yeah, the 2015s have the "Super 8.8" with IRS. I only paid $175 for the Crown Vic. Pretty sure scrap value is currently higher than that.
You got a great deal on that! I agree, the scrap is at least that much. The prices have shot way up on these cars since the popularity of the swap is known. What once was a $500 car is now a $3500 car. Sent you a PM.
beamero

Post by beamero »

Update: I was able to get my hands on a Gov Auction 2008 CVPI. Complete and in excellent shape! Finally starting to feel excited!
1962 F100