65 4x4 Daily Driver Upgrade

A place just for our project & build threads.

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

9Fingers
United States of America

Re: 65 4x4 Daily Driver Upgrade

Post by 9Fingers »

Been down and out today, not sure if its the flu or what, fever, chills, bad headache.

Shipwrecked, unfortunately I don't have a cherry picker. I have a chainfall, a couple of come-a-longs and a 12volt winch. I think the winch is rated for horizontal pulling and not sure on the pounds of pull it will safely pull. The garage has an open ceiling so I have access to the bottom of the roof trusses. Might be able to add some reinforcement to trusses toward back of garage like I did at front for use with chainfall to pull engine. If I do, I would probably add some vertical 4x4's as well, the last thing I need is a caved in roof.

Michelle, I checked the tach I got from you and didn't notice any over spray on that one, it was almost like a galvanized finish.

Bruceandserson, hands on lifting would be best as you said. I may try the truss reinforcement mentioned above and run straps under the cab, using wood blocks to hold the straps away from places that could be bent. I was thinking running them front to back, have them exit the rear of the cab where it is notched to clear the frame rails. Thought I could fasten the straps in places where holes already existed in the cab sheet metal and prevent them from slipping and moving closer together and then having the cab teetering as the balance would be off. I'd try to keep the straps wider at the front to keep most of the weight between the straps again to prevent balance problems.
Always know where you will be, when you get where you're going - Jerry Clower
9Fingers
United States of America

Post by 9Fingers »

Time for a small update. Flu turned out to be pneumonia, was down for a solid week. High powered meds and bed rest was the only cure. Took another week to get back close to normal, then I was behind with other things that took priority over the slick. Finally was able to reinforce the roof trusses in garage and mount the 12 volt 4000 lb winch, used a 5/8" shaft mounted in pillow block bearings to let the cable roll over and transition from horizontal to the vertical pull to lift the cab. Used 2" straps, some 2x6 screwed together through the seat bolt holes, one piece in cab and one beneath but offset to the back enough to hold the straps off the cab. Used drywall screws to secure the straps to the 2x6 at back of cab so straps would not slip toward center. The winch lifted the cab although the rigging made it front heavy. Went all the way up while my helper was moving the frame out of the way, then the winch met the overload and slowly started releasing cable. Cab rested back on frame. 2 cycles of this and was able to get frame clear of cab. Gently set it on garage floor on 1" thick corrugated cardboard sheets. Rolled frame outside for some degreaser and some time with the power washer. Plans are for rust repair on the frame boxing up front this weekend, then some work with an angle grinder with a wire bristle head to get off scaling and lifting paint. I'll treat the bare metal and rust with phosphoric acid, then paint with flat black paint. Here is one picture of the frame with the cab on the floor behind it. Here's to good health!

Last edited by 9Fingers on December 24, 2017, 11:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
9Fingers
United States of America

65 4x4 Slickenstein

Post by 9Fingers »

No pictures for today, took one with the phone and evidently it didn't save. Cut out the rusted boxing on the frame and put new metal back in place. Started removing old paint where surface rust was peeping through with the angle grinder and heavy duty wire wheel. Removed all of that and filled a gap on the lower portion of the frame rail with the welder, ground down original welds and added some more metal and smoothed them down. The new rear I have for it is a Dana 44 from a 77 ford, engine is a 300 six from a 73 f100, replacement np435 married to np205 transfer case is from a 78 f150. How do I revised the title for this thread? Want to call it 65 4x4 Slickenstein.
Last edited by 9Fingers on April 19, 2021, 9:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
9Fingers
United States of America

Post by 9Fingers »

Made some progress with the frame. Someone converted the non power steering frame by drilling and bolting on a power steering box. They torched a hole through the inner frame boxing to give access to tighten the nuts. The bolts were only through the outer frame rail. That setup was a recipe for disaster, so I cut out the remainder of the factory tapered boxing and fabbed up a straight replacement with pipe inserted between to keep from crushing frame rails when tightening down the new grade 8 bolts. Also spent some time with the needle scaler cleaning the radius arms, front axle, and rear lift blocks.

Last edited by 9Fingers on December 24, 2017, 11:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
9Fingers
United States of America

Post by 9Fingers »

Its been a long time since the last post here, but I have been making a little progress. Scaled off the grease, grime, dirt, and rust from the frame. Made some repairs to thin metal. Treated metal with phosphoric acid, then painted the front 2/3 flat black oil based rustoleum with a sponge brush. Front and rear axle now have matching 3.73 gears, new seals. Front also got a new outer shaft and new u-joints along with new ball joints. Old coil springs were tired and sagging, one was broken. New coils now just sitting in place. Radius arm brackets are from a 77 and dont hang down as low, so I went with offset c bushings as raising the back changes the angle just the same as if you put taller springs in front for more lift. 300 engine is ready to be hoisted into place. Will trial fit the transmission and tcase to find the angle the engine sits at. Then I want to rework the cross member so it doesn't hang down so low beneath the mounting point for the transmission.

Last edited by 9Fingers on December 24, 2017, 11:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
9Fingers
United States of America

Post by 9Fingers »

Had some trouble with engine mounts. I moved the metal frame perches forward and bolted them through the factory holes in the frame. Engine mounts made the mounting points too wide to fit the frame perches. Search on the web said to use 1974 E100 engine mounts. They did the trick, I did trim the rubber on the driver side at an angle to close up a gap bteetween the top of the rubber and the frame perch.
Flywheel, new 11" clutch disc, pressure plate, pinion bearing and throwout bearing installed. Np435, cleaned, sprayed with ospho, painted and bolted up. The transmission mount is a few inches further to the rear of the truck now with the later model np435 and married np205 transfer case. Here are a few pics of the engine and transmission in place and the np205 getting new seals and gaskets. Case cleaned and sprayed with ospho, paint comes tomorrow and hopefully can hoist it in place and bolt it down.

Here is a pic of drivers side engine mount, looking from rear of truck to front.

Last edited by 9Fingers on December 24, 2017, 11:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
9Fingers
United States of America

Post by 9Fingers »

Transfer case is at home now, married to the np435, and bolted on the drivers side with the factory support brackets/rubber mount. Pulled the leaking 9inch rear axle and shocks out of the way to make room for the Dana 44 rear axle. I'm taking a chance here with the rear lift blocks. I removed them and lowered the rear springs down to the pads on the axle itself. I'm gambling here that I will have the tire clearance I want. I cleaned up the dirt, grime, loose rust, and old paint from the lift blocks and treated with ospho. The idea is to mount these on top of the springs, I can re use the u-bolts, and these lift blocks have bump stops cast in as one part. As they sit now, there is about 4.5" of travel from the rubber stops under frame rail to the top of the stops.
Now I've got some searching to do for rear brake drums. I need a new e-brake cable as well, previous owner cut off the end, and I need to go through the rear brakes on both sides to make sure everything works, no leaks and nothing is siezed or binding.

Last edited by 9Fingers on December 24, 2017, 11:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
9Fingers
United States of America

Post by 9Fingers »

Small but measurable progress. Found out the Dana 44 rear axle has the same brake shoes, springs, wheel cylinders, drums, etc as the 9" that came out of the truck.

Got a small plumbing job to take care of Saturday, then hopefully back to work on the rear 1/3 of the frame. Want to clean it some more, weld up some of the extra holes, fab up and weld in some mounting tabs where the current bolt on strips serve to secure the bed to the frame, treat bare metal and rust, then paint.
Last edited by 9Fingers on December 24, 2017, 11:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
9Fingers
United States of America

Post by 9Fingers »

Rear frame arch over the axle has been shaved down to somewhere near flat, frame boxed inside, rear axle cleaned again, more phosphoric acid treatment, and painted. Previous owner used stainless steel ubolts, cleaned the old paint and grime off them and reused them. Leaving them long for now in case I decide to put the lift blocks back in.
Also bought a universal set of auxillary/overload coil springs. They were on clearance and I had good luck with a set years ago, although their 1500 lb rating has me questioning their advertised strength.... I just need it to stand up under a good load and not drag the bumper.

Tomorrow I hope to get remainder of rear section of frame painted, rear shocks cleaned up and installed, and a good start on the brake lines.
Last edited by 9Fingers on December 24, 2017, 11:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
9Fingers
United States of America

Post by 9Fingers »

Not much, but a small update. Rear portion of frame all cleaned, boxed, painted. Axle bolted in place, auxiliary coil springs in place, parking brake cables snapped into place in the cross member. Also have brake fittings in place, but waiting on spring clips to hold the fittings in the brackets where the hard lines tie into the flexible lines.

Will start flaring and plumbing the hard lines evenings this week.

Last edited by 9Fingers on December 24, 2017, 11:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
9Fingers
United States of America

Post by 9Fingers »

Brake lines all plumbed. Worked on a set of later model factory split exhaust manifolds for the 300 six. Photos follow. Started with rusted, red clay cover manifolds. Scrubbing with oven cleaner, wire brush and water got them to look like the first photo. Then spent some time with the blasting cabinet. Had to stop and make adjustments to the HF cabinet. Its got a port to attach a shop vac. That works well to keep the dust level down, but the vac I have pulled so hard it caused one of the gloves to implode and slip off the flange even with a hose clamp. After re attaching the glove, I found that a scrap piece of a 1/4" bolt keeping the door open, let's the vac draw enough air in and not dislodge the gloves, and it's enough of a pull that the door won't open and the bolt just stays in place. I need to find some flexible hose that won't collapse for the blasting gun. The hose that supplies the sand to the gun collapses when blasting and limits the amount of sand coming through. Second pic is of a manifold after coming out of the cabinet. Third is perched on a metal rod with some heat from the torch to drive oof the moisture, and the last is the pair of manifolds after 2 thin coats of VHT black paint.

Got to get some manifold studs to get these mounted. Also need to find a source for a set of those thick manifold washers.
Last edited by 9Fingers on December 24, 2017, 11:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
Hunter's 64
United States of America

Post by Hunter's 64 »

http://www.shop.cliffordperformance.net ... 300_c3.htm

Think they have a nice grade 8 stud set with thick washers

Danny
9Fingers
United States of America

Post by 9Fingers »

Thank you for the link Danny. All in one place, convenient.

I've got an Offenhauser dual port manifold I picked up from someone on c-list.

When I get the studs I can get it all mounted up. Then work on the accelartor cable. Got the short one from the V8, got a longer six cylinder cable from ratrapp here on the Slick site. If that is too short, I saved the long ebrake cable where the previous owner of the Dana 44 had cut one end off. Think I can merge parts and get a working cable.
9Fingers
United States of America

Post by 9Fingers »

Got a little done this weekend between other priorities.

Intake/Exhaust studs installed, gasket with Offy intake and late model Ford split manifolds bolted in place.

Unfortunately, Walker does not supply their y-pipe any longer it seems, without purchasing the catalytic converter with it. I've checked all the local chain stores, several places online, and can't come up with one, so it's time to fabricate one.

Picked up two short adapters, 2" I.d. to 2" o.d.

Marked and cut one, then a little time with the ball peen hammer and the end is flared.

And here as it fits the clamp that pulls it tight to the manifold.

Now to find some old coat hangers and mock up the bends and turns I need, before a trip back to the store for the straight sections of pipe and turns.
Last edited by 9Fingers on December 24, 2017, 11:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
noley99

Post by noley99 »

Good looking build.
Family First!
9Fingers
United States of America

Post by 9Fingers »

Thank you Noley99.

Went by a local garage yesterday. I took a piece of stiff copper wire bent up like I needed the pipe shaped. They were able to get me this.

After some trial fitting I cut out the opening for the rear flared pipe to mate up.

A little time spent fitting and cleaning up the two pieces.

Ended up separating the pipe and trimming some from the center section between where the two manifolds connect.

And here is the final product tacked welded back together with a MIG. Wish I had a TIG welder, could have made those welds look a lot better, but not bad looking for less than $20 all total in the shaped pipe and two short couplings.

Last edited by 9Fingers on December 24, 2017, 11:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
9Fingers
United States of America

Post by 9Fingers »

Will take a while, but the plan is to try and restore photos to the thread using Post image. I hope just editing the old posts won't keep bumping the thread to the top.

Bradshaw.
orangeRcode
United States of America

Post by orangeRcode »

9Fingers wrote:Will take a while, but the plan is to try and restore photos to the thread using Post image. I hope just editing the old posts won't keep bumping the thread to the top.

Bradshaw.
Good luck in rebuilding your build pics. A lot of folks lost them if they didn't have them saved to another source. :cussing:
9Fingers
United States of America

Post by 9Fingers »

Quick update on Post image. Before today I was only able to upload one pic at a time. Tonight I tried selecting several images and then uploading. I was able to upload 150 images in just over 15 minutes. I think I had 70+ selected in one batch. It was very quick compared to the old site I used that's causing everyone so much heartache. Now its time to weave the new links into the old thread. I was fortunate to have all the pics in one place to load up.
9Fingers
United States of America

Post by 9Fingers »

I've been waiting on a part for the truck. I decided to install an auxillary transmission. With the 300 six cylinder's torque and the np435 manual transmission, the Ranger torque splitter, will let me split gears when needed to keep the engine in the desired RPM range and give me an overdrive gear.

Here are a few pics of the installation.
Np435 input shaft with bearing retainer before removing part of the shaft where the release bearing slides to activate the clutch.

Bearing retainer removed. Instructions say to remove all of the shaft but 3/4" including the gasket thickness. After measuring, this would remove more than just the shaft that protrudes from the retainer. More measuring of the Ranger unit and additional instructions showed that I could cut off the shaft flush with front of the bearing retainer and have room so the retainer does not bottom out inside the Ranger when fitted together.

Bearing retainer with excess removed.
Image]

Bearing retainer back on the np435.

Ranger transmission bolted to bellhousing and fitted to the 300.

The factory crossover supports the transmission and transfer case, but also serves as additional support for the radius rod brackets for the front suspension. So I didn't want to remove this. However, when keeping the engine at the same angle, there would be interference with the relocated np435. So, the sawzall and grinder made a quick removal of the raised platform on the cross member.

Here is a picture of the np435 and np205 in place behind the Ranger. The 2x4 is additional support for the roof truss.

And a shot from the passenger side.

Now to fabricate a new cross member to support the np435 and np205 at the original mounting point at the factory adapter. Add oil to all three units, and I should be ready to set the cab back on the frame and then work out transmission shifter mods.
Last edited by 9Fingers on December 24, 2017, 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.