1964 sb with rear bumper or not?

A place just for our project & build threads.

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Do you like rear bumpers, or roll pans?

no bumper, roll pan only
18%
rear step bumper (painted or chrome)
21%
rear chrome bumper, similar to front
32%
no bumper and no roll pan
5%
no opinion, depends on trucks usage
24%

Total votes: 38

wwhite

1964 sb with rear bumper or not?

Post by wwhite »

Hi, (poll above)

Wanting opinions of people who like the chrome rear bumper or no chrome rear bumper?

Original plan was to put a roll pan on it, but I have a change to buy a near new chrome bumper.
This is not the checker plate step bumper, it is a rear bumper that looks very similar to the front.
1964 Mercury short box 460 innies
jamesdfo
Canada

Re: 1964 sb with rear bumper or not?

Post by jamesdfo »

While I have seen some roll pans that looked good, I don't see myself ever going that route, as even a simple blunder by the person parked across from you while they're backing out could result in substantial damage to a Styleside box without a bumper to protect it........
So, no roll pans, or running bumperless for me:) Plus, I already have multiple Contour bumpers in stock:)

Contour Rear Bumper

And matching Brackets
wwhite

Post by wwhite »

Yes, not going bumper less. My 1994 shortbox, just got written off, parked in front of my house. Good point!.

I purchased exactly what your pictures show, never installed, second hand, sitting in a guys garage for 4 years, in an unopened box, bumper, brackets and all bolts for $325, and they were located 2 blocks away!

I do like the look of bumper less, but actually looks a bit more elegant with the chrome bumper.

Almost 50% of you all agree too!
Thank you!
1964 Mercury short box 460 innies
jamesdfo
Canada

Post by jamesdfo »

I know one local lad with a Mercury Bumpside (Styleside LWB). He has the same bumper as in the pic above, but it's been notched on the ends and tucked a bit tighter. It looks good. The downside to this is the leading edge of the center portion, above where the license plate is, is now perilously close to the sill panel below the box floor. Which again comes full circle to another "if" scenario....."if" someone hits you, with the bumper tucked, it's likely going to cause damage to the tail light extension panels and the rear sill panel........