Tennessee '64

A place just for our project & build threads.

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Gota64
United States of America

Tennessee '64

Post by Gota64 »

This is what my '64 looked like prior to the previous owner starting an engine swap, but never completing it (new job, moved ...). Then next picture of it will be with the motor and hood in the bed of the truck. Really, really hope to get it hauled home this weekend and will add some additional before pics.

Last edited by Gota64 on August 26, 2017, 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Darrell
oldsmiley
United States of America

Re: Tennessee '64

Post by oldsmiley »

Hey, hey....it's going to be fun watching this one come back to life. It's got LOTS of potential. I can't imaging which way you'll go with it, but I'll be watching anyway. I hope to learn the NEW way to post pictures myself......

NICE truck

Oh, and :welcome:
Gota64
United States of America

Post by Gota64 »

oldsmiley wrote: I hope to learn the NEW way to post pictures myself......
Posting pics is really pretty easy. Just upload a picture to your gallery. Once the image is uploaded, you can hover your pointer over the image and it will show something like this at the bottom of your browser:

Code: Select all

"http://www.slick60s.com/gallery/image.php?image_id=12442"
Click the album tag in the toolbar at the top of where you are typing a post or reply. The website will enter

[album][/album]
for you, type the number after image_id between the ][ characters like this:

[album]12442[/album]
It will display the picture from the album at that point when you submit your post.

Hope this helps,
Darrell
Darrell
Gota64
United States of America

Post by Gota64 »

My goal is to go pretty much straight stock with this one.

Way back in '75 or so my Dad bought a '67 from a neighbor and that is what I learned to drive on, don't remember the motor size but think it was a V8, definitely had a 3 speed column shift....I loved that truck.

I got home from school one day and Dad was sitting in the recliner but no truck in the driveway.

Me: Dad, where's the truck
Dad: I sold it today.
Me: What! You sold the truck?
Dad: I didn't mean to. This truck driver keeps delivering to the plant and says: I want to buy that truck. I keep telling him no, today I put a price I thought no sane person would accept and he said OK, loaded it on the trailer and took it home with him.
Me: How much?

Oh well, doesn't matter now, but I've been wanting another for 40 some odd years. A couple years fixing it up will be fun for me.
Darrell
Gota64
United States of America

Post by Gota64 »

Got her home yesterday, here is a quick walk around.

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Last edited by Gota64 on August 26, 2017, 9:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Darrell
Gota64
United States of America

Post by Gota64 »

I got a better chance to look around today and made pictures of potential problem areas. Looks like there is plenty of work to do. :shock:

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Last edited by Gota64 on August 26, 2017, 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Darrell
Gota64
United States of America

In the bed

Post by Gota64 »

Well, I've finally started working on the truck and started with the bed, a previous owner somewhere down the line welded a sheet of Diamond Tread over the wood bed to hide the rotting wood. So I cut it out last weekend to begin removing the bed.

Start:

End:

About what I expected, so no big surprises.
Last edited by Gota64 on August 26, 2017, 9:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Darrell
Gota64
United States of America

The Cab

Post by Gota64 »

So today I decided to remove the screwed in sheet metal on the floor of the cab. ARRG, worse that I expected here.

Left side:

Rotted completely through at the cab mounts. Bolt for the cab mount fell out the bottom when I touched it.

Right side:

Same deal as left side, all the way to the cab mount bolt falling out. Floor pans are readily available from a lot of places. My biggest concern is the plate between the floor board and the firewall that has the steering column and pedals, it is almost totally rotted out. Any wisdom / suggestions on replacing that sections?

Thanks for looking.
Darrell
aj64f100390-292
United States of America

Post by aj64f100390-292 »

Gota64 wrote:So today I decided to remove the screwed in sheet metal on the floor of the cab. ARRG, worse that I expected here.

Left side:

Rotted completely through at the cab mounts. Bolt for the cab mount fell out the bottom when I touched it.

Right side:

Same deal as left side, all the way to the cab mount bolt falling out. Floor pans are readily available from a lot of places. My biggest concern is the plate between the floor board and the firewall that has the steering column and pedals, it is almost totally rotted out. Any wisdom / suggestions on replacing that sections?

Thanks for looking.
What we did on my 64, was get some doner pans...and installed it underneath so it cupped the cab...mine wasnt rotted as far up but it was starting to get in to the steering column to floor seal hole...thats what I would do..at the very least find a yard truck that isnt rusted up so far..and get the pieces you need and get a patch panel..the only issue I ran into is since the truck we used predated the interior sill plate trim on the custom cab. I messed up when drilling my new hole and I'm going to have to use a nut on the back side and seal it, and fix it at a later date...the fact that my trims screw hole was boogered up allowed me to go ahead and screw it down but its not right.. good luck looks more solid than mine was..or atleast has more floor in place than mine did...
1964 f100 lwb 292 ECG Heads,4v, 4spd, '76 9" 3.25, orig. :292 3spdO/D, 3.92 spicer locker
19mpg hwy, .040/298ci, arnd 8.7:1, ECG heads, stainless valves, ceramic coated ramshorn manifolds, B code int., eddy 4bbl, Durasprk II/C5ZF dizzy, C2AE rods,high ratio rockers, NOS two groove h.balancer, unkwn cam-for now :twisted: soon:pwr asst steering
was FE/FT, mount:390, C6R heads, C4ae int, w/ 361/391 FT Bellhous.,timing cover, & w. pump.
-Back on the road since jan '17
Gota64
United States of America

Post by Gota64 »

I've got a potential lead on a toe board that may fix the floor pan to firewall issue. I Waiting for some more pics from seller but I hopeful. I have a little rust up into the firewall where the middle bracket comes down but I feel that is repairable.
Darrell
Blanger
United States of America

Post by Blanger »

Man!, I thought the floor pans in our '62 uni were bad till I saw your pictures, your cab steps, risers, and lower a & b pillar all look as bad as ours was, but the floor pans and toe board on your '64 are some of the worst I've even seen.....hope the toe board works out for you.

Jon
Gota64
United States of America

Post by Gota64 »

Pillars are rough, step is not as bad as it looks and risers are really only bad where the middle cab brace ummm used to be and can probably be patched. Both front cab mount bolts fell to the ground when I touched them and both front cab mounts are broken. I'm pretty sure a good head wind could have removed the cab from the frame.
Darrell
Gota64
United States of America

Post by Gota64 »

New updates, I found a donor cab that is much better shape except for parts of the floor boards, a dented dashboard and section cut from back panel. Not bad for a couple hundred dollars.

Exterior Cab
Image Image Image

Front Cab Mounts
Image Image

Center Cab Supports
Image Image

Rear Cab Mounts
Image Image

Toe Board
Image Image

Steps / Risers
Image Image
Darrell
bruceandersson

Post by bruceandersson »

That's a much better starting point. Money well spent.
oldsmiley
United States of America

Post by oldsmiley »

Many hours of time saved buying that cab. Cutting out rust and welding in NEW metal never has been my favorite thing to do, but I do it when there's no other option. You were blessed to get that one, and for that price..... :)