66 CC project revived.

A place just for our project & build threads.

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Custumcab66

66 CC project revived.

Post by Custumcab66 »

:D Hello to all! Just wanted to let everyone know how much I love this forum and that it's great to have such a wealth of knowledge gathered in one place helping each other out. With that being said I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions in the near future. You see I've had this's 66 Custom Cab short wife bed F100 for 11 years now and it's kinda been on hold for about 10 of those years. Relocation due to job requirements, additions to the family and a host of other distractions have caused it to slip to the back burner until just recently. I'm happy to say that the Fire for this truck has been rekindled and is slowly building. It's funny how that happened as well and if anyone is interested in that story I can tell it as well. I'll try to post pics of the truck and give some background/history on truck as well if anyone is interested. Thanks in advance for all the help I know I'll get from you guys and hopefully I can give back to others as well.
Toyz
United States of America

Re: 66 CC project revived.

Post by Toyz »

Welcome! Kinda concerned about this "short wife bed"! If you trade up to a taller one, do you have to get a long bed truck?
JK!
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
Custumcab66

Post by Custumcab66 »

My bad Toyz. Wide bed. Lol. Great reply though. That took a little thought I bet.
Custumcab66

Post by Custumcab66 »

a few pics of the 66 custom cab. it does have a 65 grill in it for some reason but i have replacement as seen in pics.124941249312492124881248912490
Custumcab66

Post by Custumcab66 »

Picked up a complete CV front suspension today. $400 is more than i wanted to pay but oh well , i didn't have to pull it or load it in the truck. I would have been glad to do it but as luck would have it, it was already removed from the 03" chassis. It wasn't from a police cruiser but i think it will do just fine.

Going to pick up a rear axle assy. from an Explorer Friday. Axle code D4 from 1997 model year. 3:73 limited slip w/31 spline axles. $200.
BTW i've been reading alot about these explorer axle assemblies and it seems that a lot of folks are spending a lot of time and maybe $ getting these things to were the diff is centered and axles same length by using two short side axles. Is this really necessary? I suppose I could see t if it was a going in a really tight fit on some cars or maybe expecting a lot of wheel travel but i dont see why all the fuss. Am i missing something? I'm thinking this should be a really straight forward swap for my 66slick. Yes the pumpkin will be a little of center but shouldnt be an issue right? Or is there something i'm overlooking? I'm aware of the different 3.25" diameter axle tubes compared to stock 3" as well as relocating spring perches and maybe shock mounts but is there anything that maybe i haven't considered concerning this swap?
Custumcab66

Post by Custumcab66 »

1254512544 parts i've collected in last few days.
Custumcab66

Post by Custumcab66 »

I did a chop on paper to see how it would look. 4" in front and 3" in back. i like it....I like it a lot!gallery/image.php?mode=thumbnail&album_ ... e_id=12546
Custumcab66

Post by Custumcab66 »

I did a chop on paper to see how it would look. 4" in front and 3" in back. i like it....I like it a lot!12546
Custumcab66

Post by Custumcab66 »

I was so happy today to stumble across another slick owner (61 Uni) hat is doing a lot of the same mods that im planning for my 66. his name is Clay in Fort Worth, Texas and he is going to have one sweet ride when done. Interestingly this Uni is the one he learned how to drive in and was his very first vehicle as a teenager. Great guy with a great passion for his Slick. i know that he and I will be talking again soon.
Custumcab66

Post by Custumcab66 »

So, i have acquired an IRS out of a lincoln mark viii. I also have a rear end from an Explorer. I love the idea of IRS but absolutely can not stand the ugly,bulky sub-frame that the IRS is attached to. My initial thought was to build the truck with the explorer rear end but now that i have the irs i'm considering building my own tube structure/sub-frame that looks more like it belongs in a hot rod than the stock sub-frame does. what do you think? I know that there are irs sub-frames in the aftermarket that will accept all of the stock components and i may very well end up going that route if i do go with IRS but i was thinking how satisfying it would be to have something that no one else has . IDK. Anybody have an opinion? LOL
As for the Explorer rear i was thinking of a 3 link set up if i go that route. Problem is there are lots of 3 and 4 link set ups already in existence, and for good reason. They work. i'm not wanting to reinvent the wheel so to speak just looking to be somewhat unique.