Ryanjay11's 65 F100 build

A place just for our project & build threads.

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

JOSHF100
United States of America

Re: Ryanjay11's 65 F100 build

Post by JOSHF100 »

Just read this thread from the beginning....
You've done a great job!

Randall
ryanjay11
United States of America

Post by ryanjay11 »

JOSHF100 wrote:Just read this thread from the beginning....
You've done a great job!

Randall
Thanks!

I just got back from an awesome Elk hunting trip in Colorado.

When we were driving through Denver, I saw this guy going for a ride with his dog. Anyone know him from the forum?

I picked up a freezer at Lowes today to hold the meat.

ryanjay11
United States of America

Post by ryanjay11 »

Thanks for all the positive comments!

I've put about 600 miles on the truck since the rebuild. There are still a bunch of small things that I need to finish, but it's been a lot of fun to drive. The amount of power for the weight of the truck is just ridiculous, and it drives, stops and handles like a modern car.

I'm likely going to put a mustang gas tank in the rear and go to fitech fuel injection as soon as it warms up.

It took me about a year, but I finally have a full set of OEM exterior trim to install.

Blanger
United States of America

Post by Blanger »

ryanjay11 wrote:I'm likely going to put a mustang gas tank in the rear and go to fitech fuel injection as soon as it warms up.
Hey Ryan,

Be sure to post back in the forum if you install a FiTech injection system, we have been looking at them and the Holley Sniper to put on our Camaro, I've been through 2 different carbs (Holley and Edelbrock) on the car and while it runs great it hates to "hot start" with this ethanol fuel we have at the pumps now-a-days, we won't even mention E85.

I see a lot of mixed reviews on both systems and there are more manufactures getting into the market every day which is bringing the price down, I saw the other day the basic FiTech (600hp) for $795 wholesale price so they are coming down slowly.

Great job on your truck...looks fantastic!

Jon
ryanjay11
United States of America

Post by ryanjay11 »

Blanger wrote:I saw the other day the basic FiTech (600hp) for $795 wholesale price so they are coming down slowly.
Tell me about this wholesale price.... I might do it sooner than later.

I'm looking at this https://www.summitracing.com/parts/fif-30002 and this https://www.lsxceleration.com/fitech-ef ... ng-cougar/
Blanger wrote:Great job on your truck...looks fantastic!
Thanks!
Blanger
United States of America

Post by Blanger »

Ryan...

It was in a flyer the other day from this place.... http://www.nickelsperformance.com/

Problem is you need a account to see the pricing and buy from them, but my only point is the price is falling on all of these units, as you have probably seen the pricing is all over the map as is the level of the kits as far as all the needed parts, I absolutely do not want to use their "command center" and would rather use a hi pressure frame mounted pump, pull the fuel tank and install a return line instead. The clincher is that to get full advantage or performance it really needs to control the timing which is yet again a added cost. You or me could easily drop $2k converting a carb to EFI and for me that makes doing something like a LS swap more cost effective in a lot of ways.

But like you we are just looking and doing the research....

Jon
ryanjay11
United States of America

Post by ryanjay11 »

I suppose everyone has their own idea of what should and shouldn't be done with these old vehicles. I pretty much tore mine down and completely rebuilt it using non-original parts. The 429 was out of a Lincoln, transmission out of a F-250, the front suspension was out of a Crown Vic, the rear end is Crown Vic/custom 4 link.

So with all that said, this following part probably makes me seem pretty hypocritical. I would never, ever, put a Chevy motor in a Ford. Like I said, it probably makes zero sense to hear this coming from me, given that I've altered my truck in hundreds of ways from original. I didn't build my truck myself because I was trying to cut corners or save money, I did it because I wanted to learn and know every part that was on it. I'm going to have this the rest of my life, then pass it on to my son. I'll be able to tell him what all I did to it someday.

I'm not going to knock the guys that build their trucks the way they want. I've seen some pretty awesome work that is just completely different than the way I would have done it. It's getting them back on the road, and that is a good thing.

Anyways, back to the comment that put me on this tangent. I'm going to to install the Fitech parts I linked above. I still have a couple grand in parts left to get this to where I want it to be, but it's already roadworthy, so it might be a few months down the road before I make many changes.
Blanger
United States of America

Post by Blanger »

Blanger wrote: we have been looking at them and the Holley Sniper to put on our Camaro,
ryanjay11 wrote:I would never, ever, put a Chevy motor in a Ford.
Ryan

Just for clarification I was talking about putting a Fitech on our Camaro not any of our Ford trucks....although the current '65 build is on a Roadmaster chassis with a Chevy LT1 but that is how GM built them originally.

Jon
FlintMich
United States of America

Post by FlintMich »

Wow Ryan! I'm so glad I took the time to read that whole thread. Awesome build! That truck is a real beauty!
I will definitely be following along to see where you take that thing from here.
Thanks for sharing.
TJ

If some is good, more is better, and too much is just right! ~ Shayf
Backyardbuilder

Post by Backyardbuilder »

Very cool build, I just read through your entire thread.

I have a question about the rear end kit. When you first mentioned the rear crossmember not being good from TCI, I expected it to be the upper mounting point for the coil overs. But then I see where they are now mounted. What is the need for that big crossmember that you made and installed?
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

You mentioned about posting the measurements for the 4-link....can you post those for us who want to do the same set-up? (I hope that I didn't miss them somewhere in the build thread.)
Thanks!
1964 F-100
ryanjay11
United States of America

Post by ryanjay11 »

Backyardbuilder wrote:Very cool build, I just read through your entire thread.

I have a question about the rear end kit. When you first mentioned the rear crossmember not being good from TCI, I expected it to be the upper mounting point for the coil overs. But then I see where they are now mounted. What is the need for that big crossmember that you made and installed?
The crossmember that came from TCI didn't fit inside the frame correctly and was only held in place with two vertical bolts. Every bump on the road would have put pressure on these and it would have surely resulted in a cracked frame. Since I'd already removed the factory crossmember to install this, I went ahead and plated the frame, same as I had in the front, and tied it together by welding in that big crossmember.
SteveCanup wrote:You mentioned about posting the measurements for the 4-link....can you post those for us who want to do the same set-up? (I hope that I didn't miss them somewhere in the build thread.)
Thanks!
I ended up deciding not to take/post measurements, because honestly I don't recommend going with this kit. I ended having to make several modifications, and didn't even use the shock mounting setup that came with the kit. The end result is something that fits my truck much better, but I paid full boat retail for something that is supposed to fit, and it wasn't even close.

If you just want to know how long the 4-link bars are, and the track bar, I'll post that if you want.

I don't want to knock TCI too much for this. The quality of the parts they make is phenomenal. The kit I got was supposed to fit a slick, per my conversation with the company. It didn't. If they come out with a different setup, I'd highly recommend them.
oldsmiley
United States of America

Post by oldsmiley »

Just to let you know, your truck, and the quality of detail you put into your truck, really got my attention.

Not just because BLUE is my favorite color, but the 61-66 body style has been my preference for nearly 40 years. I learned years ago (watching other people) that a man can have all the money in the world and NO TASTE, and RUIN what could have been a beautiful truck.

The best part of all is that it's a DRIVER.....CONGRATULATIONS on your build. It's a SUPER-nice truck.

I guess I'll slowly start pecking on upgrading my 64, now that you got the blood flowing in these old veins again......it's finding the TIME to do it that's my problem.

I love your results
ryanjay11
United States of America

Post by ryanjay11 »

oldsmiley wrote:Just to let you know, your truck, and the quality of detail you put into your truck, really got my attention.

Not just because BLUE is my favorite color, but the 61-66 body style has been my preference for nearly 40 years. I learned years ago (watching other people) that a man can have all the money in the world and NO TASTE, and RUIN what could have been a beautiful truck.

The best part of all is that it's a DRIVER.....CONGRATULATIONS on your build. It's a SUPER-nice truck.

I guess I'll slowly start pecking on upgrading my 64, now that you got the blood flowing in these old veins again......it's finding the TIME to do it that's my problem.

I love your results
Thank you very much for the kind comments!
ryanjay11
United States of America

Post by ryanjay11 »

The proper amount of horsepower for any application is always more.

I picked up a Edelbrock single plane Torker II intake to replace my Weigand Stealth dual plane. This will work better with the Fuel Injection setup I'm installing. I just hit it with some VHT wrinkle paint.

Several months ago, I bought a Fitech fuel injection setup for the truck, and planned to install it when the weather got nice. Well, when the weather got nice, I decided I'd rather go fishing than turn wrenches, and just drive the truck as is.

Time to get to work.
ryanjay11
United States of America

Post by ryanjay11 »

I decided to procrastinate just a bit more. I have been to 3 car shows in the past 2 weeks and have another one in a couple of weeks to go to. I didn't want to miss any, so I'm going to wait just a bit longer to install the fuel injection, mustang tank, rear bumper fill, replace track bar with panhard bar, and replace cab corners. I'll pull the bed this fall and work on it as time allows.

Anyways, back to the car shows.

I made it to Slick Stock:

Later that evening, I ran to a car show in Belton, MO. I didn't get any pictures, but it had a really good turnout.

Earlier this week, I found a set of original white door pockets with the trim on eBay. These are in fantastic shape, and I had been looking for a set for a long time.

Also, I welded on a set of exhaust tips.

Today, I drove the truck in the parade in my hometown Soybean Festival and then entered it in the car show afterwards.

It was 95+ degrees and I was driving at a crawl for close to an hour. It never got above 215 degrees. The big radiator and fans were doing a fantastic job of keeping the 429 cool.
JeffinMooresville
United States of America

Post by JeffinMooresville »

Good looking truck, love the wheels. I have a build going on a 63, and decided to stay with stock suspension, but i get itchy when i see the stancew you get with new suspension.

Truck looks like it is great shape, keep at it.
Jeff in Mooresville
63 Flareside and 65 Styleside projects underway
ryanjay11
United States of America

Post by ryanjay11 »

It's been nearly a year since my last post. Life got in the way of working on the truck, but I have put 2500 miles on it so far.

I was able to spend some time over Independence day weekend and knocked out the following.

Switched from track bar to panhard bar
Installed gas tank behind rear axle with flip down license bumper fill
Pulled old tank out of the cab
Installed FiTech fuel injection

The FiTech is still learning, but I can already tell it has more power than I had with the carburetor.

65_Slick
United States of America

Post by 65_Slick »

Great looking truck! And a good story to go with it.

Have Fun!
Marty
Marty
MSGT - Retired Air Force