It is currently August 19, 2017, 1:43 pm.

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: August 10, 2017, 10:35 pm 

National Flag: United States of America
I just discovered the board but have been the owner of this Slick for 30 years.

Well, technically. My father put my name on the title of the truck when he purchased it in 1988. I was 6 at the time. He drove it to work for the next 10 years and then I drove it when I turned 16. I basically grew up in this truck. It's a 2wd 1965 Custom Cab Short Bed with 240 inline 6 and 3 speed. It has 80K miles and this is the original paint.

When I was 12 or 13, we would occasionally drive by a 68 Thunderbird a couple of towns over and my father would mention how he wanted to do an engine swap. It had a 429 and he had owned one like it when my parents first got married. This went on for a few years and one day when we drove by, the car was gone. It had either sold or got hauled off for scrap. I ended up driving the truck when I was 16, so it's probably for the best that it didn't have a big block in it.

Fast forward 20 years. Last fall, I drove the truck to the Ol' Marinas Car show in Ottawa, Kansas. If you haven't been, it's probably the coolest car show on the planet.

Anyways, the next day I was in Kansas City and found out my father in law's friend had a 429 with C6 in a shed that was pulled from a 71 Lincoln. He had owned it for 25 or 30 years. I went to look at it with cash in hand and bought it on the spot. We drove home with the engine, transmission and an engine stand in the back of the truck. It was squatting pretty good, going down 1-70.

Profile Personal album  
PostPosted: August 11, 2017, 7:38 am 

Good looking truck and a better story to go with it. Welcome from Ohio.

PostPosted: August 11, 2017, 9:15 am 

Thanks for the welcome!

This is what the 429 looked like after removing the C6 and mounting it to the engine stand.

Pretty crusty.

It was stripped down to the bare block for inspection and a thorough cleaning.

Everything was measured, inspected, and replaced if necessary. I have a very understanding wife that allows me to use the dinner table for projects. It was about 20 degrees outside at this point, so it was appreciated.

Over the next couple of months, I bought a bunch of parts to completely rebuild the engine. It seemed like Summit boxes were arriving weekly for a while. I found a set of D0VE heads on craigslist to bring the 71 back to life. If you have ever wondered why compression on the D0VE heads is so much higher than the D2VE heads, take a look at this picture.

With a bunch of new parts, it was time to start putting it back together. This is what it looked like with the long block assembled and a fresh coat of paint.

I started checking Craigslist almost daily looking for parts at this point. I found a Crown Vic front suspension and 2 rear ends, one with the gears I wanted, and another with Limited Slip. I bought everything in a lot.

Next I was looking for a set of Bullit wheels. I had a hard time finding ones in decent shape for what I was willing to spend. I switched my search up to just looking for Mustang wheels and after a couple of weeks, I stumbled across the jackpot. These are Carroll Shelby 20x10 front and 20x12 rear wheels. I bought them from a guy that was switching the wheels on his GT500 Super Snake. Needless to say, I knew these were going to look great.

As you can see in the background, I had already started tearing down the front end and media blasted the firewall.

Using my plasma and welder, I boxed in the frame, painted everything satin black and installed the Crown Vic front suspension.

I wanted to keep the truck a manual transmission. After being turned off by the going rate of most transmissions, I decided to just buy a whole truck with the transmission I wanted. I found a 2wd 88 F250 with 460 and ZF5 transmission. My father in law and I removed the engine, transmission and several other parts and then resold the truck on Craigslist. It was a lot of work, but I ended up with the transmission for basically free.

Time to get this dude installed.

So we did...

Stay tuned for more updates to the build.

Profile Personal album  
PostPosted: August 12, 2017, 11:44 am 

Welcome from ND. That is a nice looking truck. I like the IFS swap and the motor.

T-5 transmission
Front Tilt Hood

Profile Personal album  
PostPosted: August 12, 2017, 10:30 pm 

National Flag: Canada
Great story and truck!

I really like the colour you painted the engine block. Is it a rattle can paint?

Nic

PostPosted: August 13, 2017, 3:12 pm 

Watching...great build!

Profile Personal album  
PostPosted: August 13, 2017, 9:23 pm 

Thanks for the compliments!

mercuryv8 wrote:
Great story and truck!

I really like the colour you painted the engine block. Is it a rattle can paint?

Nic

The paint is Rustoleum engine enamel. It is a discontinued color called cast iron.

I bought it off Amazon just a few months ago, so you might be able to track some down still. I used the engine primer as well. I painted the valve covers and intake with VHT wrinkle plus.

Profile Personal album  
PostPosted: August 13, 2017, 10:15 pm 

Not a great photo, as it was pretty late, but this is the engine bay. If you notice, it's a recurring theme in my photos. I'm a night and weekender on the truck.

I got the front end back together and the door/hood/fender gaps lined up.

Primed the oil.

I broke in the cam. If I can figure out how to post a video, I will. The exhaust sounds fantastic.

Next up is the rear end.

I have two crown vic rear ends. One has limited slip with 3.55 gears, and the other is an open 3.27. The ZF Transmission is geared very low, so I'm going to go with the 3.27 gears. I'll swap them into the other rear end.

But it's not as simple as that. I'm also going to narrow the rear end to allow the 12" wide tires to fit. These are both 03+ Crown Vic rear ends, so they are few inches wider than the earlier ones. I got the front and both rears for a song, so I decided to make this work. I'm going to put an Explorer axle on one side and shorten the tube to match. This will narrow the rear end 3.75" and I'll have 1" clearance on each side.

After that will be a pretty straightforward spring under and a c-notch.

Profile Personal album