'62 F100 Uni - yes another Crown Vic swap

A place just for our project & build threads.

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Blanger
United States of America

Re: '62 F100 Uni - not another Crown Vic swap

Post by Blanger »

Angry wrote:Im about to get into my 64 F100 here in Australia,..we hae very stringent registration regs,..any reasonable modifications must be signed off with an independent engineer.
G'day...

Thanks for the kind words, I'm glad to share what we have done.

I'm curious is your '64 right or left hand drive? that sucks about the independent engineer, does it make a difference if its registered before you do the mods? we have so many different sets of laws that vary from state to state here in the USA, but luckily where I live it's just bring the title in and do the paper work based on what that title says, as long as the title isn't from another state it's no worries.

BTW, I watch AutoExperts YouTube channel religiously, John Cadogan cracks me up.....lol

https://www.youtube.com/user/AutoExpertTV/videos

Jon
Blanger
United States of America

Re: '62 F100 Uni - yes another Crown Vic swap

Post by Blanger »

Bumper (part 2)

After a week of applying different types of chemicals to the bumper it is finally where I'll just leave it alone and let nature take it's course, I was successful in dulling
the paint and adding enough rust so that it doesn't stand out like a sore thumb looking at the front of the truck.

Before I tell you folks what I did I have to warn you that the chemicals I used are dangerous and I'm not in the least bit making a recommendation for others to use these chemicals or do what I did, I'm not responsible if anyone tries this and gets hurt or has different results, you have been warned and just consider this a disclaimer.

So here's a picture of what the top of the bumper looks like and how it is sucked up against the front valance.

And a couple of the bumper

So to get to this point I continued the rusting treatment of vinegar, hydrogen peroxide, and salt which works well rusting bare metal but has virtually no effect on paint at all, so I had to try something that is much more aggressive which is muriatic acid commonly used in a diluted form as a sewer drain cleaner, I tried a diluted mix with water about 50/50 first and had mixed results....after a couple days and a couple treatments I went whole hog and just applied it straight, again I'll warn you that this stuff is very caustic if you get it on your skin it will give you a chemical burn, if you have a open cut it will feel like someone is stabbing you with a knife in that cut....be careful. It had the desired effect I was looking for dulling the paint and turning it at first kinda' green (cast) and after it dried the paint was yellowing or ageing.

It's close enough now to just let winter take care of the rest of it....lol

---------

Last week I mentioned a rattle when hitting a large pot hole or bump, I found the source and it was one of the things I mentioned last week which was the speaker box I built, I should have mounted it at the top of the box and the bottom but it was pretty heavy so I didn't think it would be a issue, but it was close to the back cab wall but not pushing right up against it and since it's very narrow at the base to fit in the space that the old fuel tank occupied it was slapping the back of the cab at the very top. It took me awhile to figure out a solution I bent up a couple brackets that would support the top of the box and screw into the old channel that the top of the fuel tank used.... driving in to work this morning it was quiet so we'll see it it holds, the brackets are wedged behind the box holding it out away from the cab wall and if it starts again making noise I'll have to pull the box out to mount the brackets to the back of the box instead of just wedging them...we'll see how it goes.

--------

Jon
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

Thanks for the "bumper tutorial" because I have been thinking about moving mine in closer to the grill on my '64. I wasn't sure how it would look, but now I know. I love what you have done to your truck, it's fantastic. And, you are right about the Muriatic acid...It is handy and good for certain uses, but handle with extreme care because it is dangerous. I wear heavy gloves and goggles when using because one drop in the eye will blind you for life. "Keep on Keeping on" with your build...you're inspiring a lot of us out here...and keep posting pics. (insert big thumbs-up here)
Steve-
1964 F-100
Blanger
United States of America

Post by Blanger »

SteveCanup wrote:Thanks for the "bumper tutorial" because I have been thinking about moving mine in closer to the grill on my '64. I wasn't sure how it would look, but now I know.
No problem Steve, but keep in mind that our bumper is flipped upside down (it fits with the theme of the truck), to do this with a right side up bumper it may require cutting it on both ends and removing material then welding it back together, the top of the bumper flairs out when mounted correctly and while cutting the valance like we did will let you move it closer to the grill it might not have the same visual effect. I wasn't opposed to cutting ours at all but after looking at it up side down and thinking about what else we plan to do, it just in our case made sense to do it the way we did. The effect of flipping ours up side down kinda' made the appearance of the bottom of the bumper (use to be the top) being a "air dam", it's hard to see in pictures but it has a visual effect that is somewhat pleasing.

Jon
Blanger
United States of America

Post by Blanger »

Exterior (part 1)

First let me say that what I'm about to post wouldn't have been possible without my wife and her many talents, she is a graphic designer who owns her own business and works quite hard. I'm sure many of you have noticed all the pictures and signs in our shop, they are all fake, and she made all of them, she has more design talent in her little finger than I have in my whole body. We collaborate very well, I sometimes provide ideas or opinions but it is her skill and hard work that has made her succeed in business. I feel very blessed to have her in my life!, and would not feel right posting this without giving her the credit she deserves, she did all the work and my only input was a opinion here and there.

So having said that here's the story......

You all know what our truck looks like and that many of us have tried to formulate a category to stick it into, a popular title for vehicles like our truck that keep the patina is to just call it a "shop truck", of course there are lots of "real" shop trucks with "real" patina that has weathered and shows it's age well. One common theme with shop trucks was the door lettering for the business it served, like today's vehicle wraps it served as rolling advertisement for the business.

This is something we have always liked because it shows the history of the vehicle while kinda' telling a story. Of course our slick was a work truck for a lot of its life but was basically a source of transportation for its owners over the years, but it is something we wanted to add to our truck.

So we have for weeks been developing ideas, we have went through many different names and slogans before settling on what we applied to the doors, we came down to 3 or 4 different versions and finally felt we had what we wanted.

Let me say we could have done this in vinyl, even printed vinyl that would look aged, but it wouldn't have the correct feel or vibe besides the fact it wouldn't be sand able nor would it age, there is also a very good chance that it would just peel off taking the paint with it...lol

The other day while looking on the interwebs for info on ageing painted vehicle lettering I came across a post on another very popular forum about the subject, I was amazed at the attacks the OP (original poster) was getting from some of the members about making a "poser" or fake vehicle just because he wanted to add lettering then age it to look authentic. It really made me feel sorry for the OP until another member put them in line, I don't really understand this attitude from people....anyway.

Our first attempt at doing this was a total failure, my wife made a mask from vinyl that we could apply then paint, then remove the mask, first problem was the slicks paint, there is very little bond left between the blue paint and the primer underneath, the spray paint we used reacted with the blue paint (lacquer maybe?) and wouldn't dry or adhere properly, then when removing the vinyl mask it took the blue paint with it...it was a total failure that I sanded right off and re-sprayed the doors with the paint I had mixed up in rattle cans.

So back to square one.....

After thinking about it a week my wife said she could just paint it on like the old sign painters did. So we found the sign paint that the old guys used called 1Shot was still sold and a local retailer had the colors we wanted.$100 later we have the materials and a better plan. So my wife made another mask from different material that was less aggressive (less sticky) applied that to the doors, then drew the lettering on the door with a grease type pencil, removed the mask, and started the multi-hour process of hand lettering the doors.

I should say she wasn't real happy with the results, but I was thrilled, over my lifetime in our business we have had many vehicles lettered by sign guys, course today everything is vinyl for lots of very good reasons, but the old guys had a lot of talent and she shares that talent even if she is a perfectionist and doesn't think so.

Anyway after the paint had dried for about 24 hours we used a combination of 1000 and 800 grit wet sandpaper to age the lettering, we even hit a few spots with some 320 grit to add advanced aging...lol

All in all I'm very happy with the results, it's a neutral type of logo that if we ever sell the truck it won't have to be sanded off.

I apologize for such a long post, but it needed to have a lot of explanation to go with the pictures.

Jon
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

Jon....I'm bringing my truck to you...and let your wife work her 'magic' on it. We (my wife and I) were thinking of the same for my truck. Everything in our house is "Old Crow" themed. We might even name our little 'farm' here in Virginia "Old Crow Farm" lol. We thought we would put that on my truck in exactly the same way you did yours. Thanks for the tutorial, it was excellent....and kudos to your talented wife. We're lucky when our wives are involved with our hobbies...keep the posts and pics coming. Btw, my wife was looking over my shoulder as I was reading your door lettering posts and she loves the pics of the finished truck...of course they're never finished....
Steve
1964 F-100
Blanger
United States of America

Post by Blanger »

SteveCanup wrote:.I'm bringing my truck to you...and let your wife work her 'magic' on it. We (my wife and I) were thinking of the same for my truck.
I'm not sure she would do it.. lol ...like I stated above she's a perfectionist and is use to creating laser straight lines in photoshop, the hand painting didn't meet her approval because it's not always a perfectly straight line you are laying down no matter how good your brush is or how steady your hand is, it's just the nature of hand painting and the old guys used special brushes and contrasting colors to add shadowing but to also cover up the imperfect lines in the painting.
SteveCanup wrote:Everything in our house is "Old Crow" themed. We might even name our little 'farm' here in Virginia "Old Crow Farm" lol. We thought we would put that on my truck in exactly the same way you did yours.
Actually that would be really cool even without the bird, but with a crow incorporated it would be killer...
SteveCanup wrote:Thanks for the tutorial, it was excellent....and kudos to your talented wife. We're lucky when our wives are involved with our hobbies
Thank you, I agree about being lucky to have such a good wife, but it's probably going to require us to build another truck, she has already told me if we find another truck to do and it's a long bed (wrong bed she call's them...lol) that the '62 is going to be hers.....I'm ok with that depending on what we find.
SteveCanup wrote:Btw, my wife was looking over my shoulder as I was reading your door lettering posts and she loves the pics of the finished truck...of course they're never finished....
Tell your wife thank you....and your right about never being finished totally, but the items on our list is getting shorter and shorter, we still have lots of little things but the list of major expense items except gauges will be completed by the end of the year (which is coming up fast), I plan to wait till after the first of the year to make a final decision on the gauges in hopes that they might get a little cheaper or that something new will be brought to market. There will be a lot of things I have to do to install the gauges because I want to keep some of the warning lights like the CEL, brake, low fuel, etc from the CV cluster and move them to the lights in the console... so quite a bit of planning I'll have to do and extra wiring to make it all happen which probably will take the truck off the road for a few weeks while I sort it all out.

Thanks again,

Jon
Blanger
United States of America

Post by Blanger »

Week 7 - Update

Really nothing new to report, everything is doing fine with the truck, I did fill the truck up with fuel the other day and reset the odometer so I'll try to get a estimate on the MPG it is getting in the next week or so.

Some of you may remember a post from several weeks ago where I was talking about a friend of mine who builds really high quality custom cars (trailer queens) and about how I could relate to what he does but that it didn't seem practical since sold each one of them and built another. His son was by our shop yesterday and was looking at my truck, when I went out to talk to him he gave me the best compliment I could ever think of....he said he wanted to build a truck like it with patina, and for the very same reasons we built ours...to go anywhere even Walmart and have no fear of leaving it in the parking lot. I told him I'd be embarrassed for his dad to see my truck and he said that he was changing his dad's mind slowly into accepting building something that didn't have a super slick paint job on it, this is from a young guy that works in the automotive paint world and has grown up around custom cars so it has a lot more impact on me than just some casual person. (pretty cool!)

-----

One of the things I did last weekend was try to block some of the air coming in the cab from the bottom of the B pillars, I used some insulation (wall type) that I had laying around and cut a few squares that would fit through the interior access hole, a couple pieces on each side seemed to stop those leaks. It's quickly turning to fall/winter like weather and since the truck sits out the windows in the morning need defogging, I have to say the heater-defroster works well and in just a couple blocks the windshield is clearing up without any pre-heat idling in the driveway.
I still have the bottom of the A pillars to deal with as far as air leakage, there really isn't a good way to seal them like I did in the rear, I'm still thinking about spray foam but have worried about any future repair or welding in that area setting the truck on fire...lol but I'm still leaning in that direction.

Have I told you folks just how much I like the halo headlights? I'm sure I've mentioned it several times but in my opinion this was one of the things I got right and really enjoy having on the truck, they are plenty bright enough to be daylight running lights which is how I'm using them, the halogen headlight bulbs are great too and provide light very similar to most new vehicles, I think in my daily driver usage they will turn out to be the single best thing I did to the truck along with the LED bulbs.

-----

I've mentioned several times about how the truck handles, if any of you folks are curious Matt (River City) posted a video the other day of him driving his truck, there's lots of footage in the video of his truck from the outside and it's worth giving it a look to see just how flat these trucks corner, it's also very easy to see in his video that there is no body roll, watching the video his truck handles just like mine and his explanation sounds like my experiences along with the mental conflict of truck - car.....lol

------

Bed cover is suppose to be delivered today, it shipped out of Texas earlier this week so that is the weekend truck project, and I should have a post about it next week. The headliner and passenger side door gasket are also on the to-do list if we get to them, then the following week I should have a appointment to get the exhaust done which I'm really looking forward to the truck developing a little attitude with a nice exhaust system. ...it's just too quiet and that doesn't fit with the look of the truck at all.

Hope everyone has a great weekend

Jon
bruceandersson

Post by bruceandersson »

Loved the video. Looks like a ton of fun and once again great work!
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

Thanks for the video...fantastic.
1964 F-100
Blanger
United States of America

Post by Blanger »

Exterior (part 2)

Bed cover.....

I have to say that I looked around for a bed cover for the uni and short of having a trim shop make a custom cover I couldn't find a lot of choices, to be totally honest this cover is the only real option I could find, so I had mixed feelings about it, I even emailed the company months ago to make sure it was still made and that it was in fact for a small window unibody. The price was really reasonable which also had me a little worried because it was right at $400 shipped which to me was a good value.

Putting it together I had mixed emotions, it isn't the easiest thing but wasn't really that hard either.... here's a link to the video of the assembly guide which is better than me tryin to explain it in a lot of detail.

http://www.crafteccovers.com/1961-63-Fo ... p_126.html

Like everything the printed instructions could use a little clarification or rewriting, we had just a few issues that weren't totally clear in the printed instructions and had to refer to the video which in a couple cases contradicted the printed instructions, but in the end we got it assembled and installed, it is really better and higher quality than I expected for the price.

It's basically a flat aluminum frame (extruded) that has channels made in it for everything to fit in so there is a order that it has to be assembled of course, then to fit the shipping packaging the side rails are two piece so the package isn't oversize, while the ends are one piece, everything was numbered for easy reference and once assembled it is pretty stout, it is hinged at the cab and has gas shocks to hold it open.

The hardest aspect is once the frame is built you have to install the vinyl cover and while it fits the frame fine the last part is installing a plastic portion into a channel on the under side of the frame work (watch the video), this was difficult to say the least, hard on your thumbs, but in the end makes the cover tight and secure.

It fits basically flush with the top of the bed sides, and even fit our bed even though our bed sides are not perfectly parallel from the cab to the tailgate, our bed actually gets wider at the tailgate from all of the abuse over the years.

Being hinged at the cab allows the complete cover to be removed quickly by just disconnecting the shocks and standing the cover up vertically against the cab and lifting straight up, so it can be installed and removed easily which is a nice feature.

Note: all of these pictures were taken before the shocks were adjusted to make the cover sit flat when open..

So in the end I'm really happy with it, I don't think you could find or build something for any better value pricewise, the fit and finish is good and even though our bed sides are not uniform it fit without any modification although I might add a couple tabs welded to the top of the inside of the bed side because at the tailgate there is only less than a 1/4" of the cover sitting on top of the bed, it hasn't been a issue but I have to think about snow this winter and the added weight that might put on it.

One of the things I was concern about was the corners where the cab and bed come together on the uni, it's not a 90 degree corner like a standard bed would be it actually curves around the back of the cab towards the front, the hinge that stays mounted to the bed covers almost all of this and has a plastic corner in the frame that the vinyl goes over that covers the rest, so it was well thought out and made for a unibody.

Jon
Zax63
United States of America

Post by Zax63 »

I apologize if I missed it in the thread, but where did you get the new seat cover and what do you think of it?
'63 F100 Wrongbed
Blanger
United States of America

Post by Blanger »

Zax63 wrote:I apologize if I missed it in the thread, but where did you get the new seat cover and what do you think of it?
Zax,

I don't think I mentioned where in my post, my wife ordered it....

It came from Raybuck Auto... https://raybuck.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI ... gJv2vD_BwE

It was around $200 shipped, took about 4 weeks to get it since they are made on demand....

It fit nicely and is supposedly made off patterns from real ford seats which is the traditional way to make a replacement cover by dissecting the old cover to make a pattern from it.

Quality was very good and even though we added 2" of foam to the seat area it still fit fine, they are not the manufacturer of the cover only a re-seller just like LMC truck or any other parts house, I think the cover was made by this company.

http://www.seatzmfg.com/seatz/index.htm

I'm happy with the cover, not really that thrilled with the old Ford seat in my application or use but it was worth what charged and came with hog rings for installation. One word of advice I can give you is that if you add foam to the seat area like we did you'll need to cut it back away from the rear of the seat where the back is so the back can move forward and backward, the extra foam will bind the back up and keep the back from going all the way back to the stops. (not sure if I could use the word back anymore times....lol)

Hope this helps.

edit: here's a direct link to the seat we bought.... https://raybuck.com/product/1957-66-for ... back-seat/

Jon
Blanger
United States of America

Post by Blanger »

So did I tell you folks my wife wants a slick?

She has been actively looking for a SWB truck for months, and hadn't even drove my truck other than to back it in the shop before buying a '65, she did take mine out yesterday and drove it about 30 miles, came back with a smile on her face...lol

So let me introduce you to "Deuce" (my wife names every vehicle we own, mine is "Mater" for "Tow-Mater" from the movie Cars)(so it's a Materceptor.....lol)
If you have no clue what I'm talking about......

http://video.disney.com/watch/you-saw-t ... 8833003b15

--------

Since the uni is coming to a big slow down with not a lot left on our list to do other than headliner, some interior trim, and gauges (along with the necessary wiring to replace the CV cluster and a general clean up of the interior harness), and the exhaust will be done next week, I will be starting another thread for the '65 today and will be focusing on that truck, the good or bad thing for you folks is that you can follow this build from start to finish instead of really coming in at the last stages of the uni build.

We thought about following River City's lead and doing vids and posting them to YouTube for this build and we may do that, we have made videos before and have a HD video camera and all the knowledge and software to do the post-production editing, but I don't want to be on camera and neither does my wife, we may make a few videos but I really don't want to devote the many many hours it takes to do the editing and make a product that's interesting to watch, I'd rather just take pics and post here which will be my focus, if my wife shoots video and we do post it I'll be sure to add a link or the video to my build thread there.

I'm not going to go into a lot of detail here on what we have planned but will save that info for it's own thread.

So here we go again! lol

Jon
Blanger
United States of America

Post by Blanger »

2 month milestone....

Yes it's now been two full months of daily driving, sure has gone by quickly!

The bed cover is great, even though our bed sides are way less than perfect or parallel the cover still does a reasonable job of keeping water out, rain is really no problem while the truck is sitting still, I'd say over 90% just runs off to the ground and while driving even though it is a soft top very little water gets around the cover entering the bed. The cover did come with weather stripping that you can add on top of the bed rails so the top is sealed when closed but since our paint is so bad and the weather stripping is self-adhesive backed (peel and stick) I didn't install it since I figured it wouldn't stick very long anyway. To counteract the lack of weather stripping I adjusted the locking handles on each side so when locking the cover down it actually pulls the cover down tightly against the top of the bed rails....seems to be working just fine.

The two real purposes of adding the cover were one the appearance of the truck with the cover on which is better than expected, and second to protect the wood bed floor we built from excess moisture and sun... I believe it is going to be a good addition to the truck for really not a lot of money or time to install.

----

I did last weekend finally replace the passenger door gasket and for you folks that haven't done it to your truck here's a picture of the clips I was talking about when I posted about doing the drivers side.

Like I said in that post the clips are screwed to the door and should be bent out before installing the new gasket, then bent back on top of the edge or lip of the gasket to hold it in place.

----

I have a appointment on Monday to get the exhaust done, this will be the first time the truck has been on a lift since built so I'll be looking at it hard to see if there are any issues that need to be taken care of.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

Jon
Blanger
United States of America

Post by Blanger »

9 Week update:

We are coming to the end of this build with not much left to do but drive and enjoy.....

We do still have the headliner to do, some interior trim to make, and a decision made on the gauges, I was all in on buying aftermarket gauges until a forum member posted on our '65 build thread about a magazine "Classic Trucks" (thanks Steve) and my wife bought the digital download of that magazine so we could see in more detail a slick on a Roadmaster chassis which is what that build is going to be....

In that article looking at the pictures I saw how they used the RM (Roadmaster) gauge cluster and the original slick instrument cluster bezel and it got me thinking, it looked really good and if I can steal their idea and make it look as good it will save us $800+ for aftermarket gauges. So I'm turning that idea over in my head and will be for the next few weeks (it's just how I work things out) and if I can make a prototype that looks like it will function I may just go that direction, using the slicks original metal insert (bezel) maintains the look of the dash and the CV cluster will give me everything else I need to keep tabs on the truck.

It's funny how just one comment someone makes can sometimes have a big impact, Steve unknowing was just trying to help me out by showing a slick on a Roadmaster and may have just saved us a lot of money on the other build in doing so. ( if this works out it will actually put me under my budget on the build)

------

I got the exhaust done on Monday and I really really like it, has a nice tone, no rumble or droning noise in the cab, is pretty quiet until you put your foot into it, of course it doesn't have any of the really good tone because it is a stock engine so no lope from the cam overlap like a performance engine has at idle but it's sounds nice. They removed the second converter on each side leaving one on each bank and the O2 sensors so the injection isn't effected or need to be retuned, mufflers are all the way at the rear basically where the P71 had them, they used 2.5" pipe instead of the 2" Ford uses on the stock exhaust systems and installed a H-pipe similar to how Ford made the OEM exhaust, tail pipes were a real trick for them, when you get to the rear end it gets very tight clearance-wise and since I wanted the pipes to exit on both sides of the license plate and use the stainless tips I brought with me, they bent up several pieces of pipe before telling me that it wasn't going to have enough clearance between the rearend and the fuel tank (pain in the ass customers...lol)

Edit: I never really thought about this until I typed the paragraph above....but the clearance issues between the fuel tank and the rear end might have been caused by me, if you go back several pages in this thread you'll find a post where I talk about the fuel tank mount I made to hold the bottom of the tank - CV trunk floor away from the rearend, after cutting the body off the CV the fuel tank was only mounted at the top of the frame and was loose at the bottom since the trunk floor was cut away. I had the tank spaced away from the original exhaust piped and inspection cover on the rearend with a 2x4, which I turned on it's side using the 3.5" width to hold it in place while I built the mount and welded everything in place, so after that was finished the area for the exhaust to run over the axle between it and the tank would only have been 3.5" plenty for the 2" exhaust but not near enough for the 2.5" pipe with bends in it to have a safe distance from the fuel tank.

I'm reasonably sure I could have increased that distance by just moving the bottom of the tank further away from the rearend before I welded everything....another lesson learned. :oops:

So we have a Corvette style exhaust system in the rear that actually goes under the axel, turns up towards the valance then turns again to exit where I wanted it to...lol Looks really good from the rear and will make car people wonder just what is under the hood of that old rust bucket!

I've known the shop owner for over 30 years and he does excellent work, everything is welded together mounted better than factory, no rattles and plenty enough clearance everywhere the exhaust runs.

-----

This was also the first time the '62 was on a lift where I could actually look at things like my body mounts and other work we had done to see how it was holding up, everything looked fine, no issues at all. We don't have a lift at home, some days I wish I would have installed one but most days I'm glad it isn't sucking up space. We have two at work but I don't really like to mess with personal stuff at work unless it's a emergency or a "I have to do this right now" kind of situation which does happen from time to time, so anyway it was nice to be able to walk around underneath the truck and check things out.

Yesterday morning was the first hard frost and I had to scrape the windows to get the frost off, one screw-up I did building the truck was not always protecting the glass from sparks while grinding, both of the side windows have a few places where sparks peppered the glass while grinding that are not visible but you sure can feel them... just a word of caution always cover your glass! lol

Hope everyone has a great weekend.

Jon
Blanger
United States of America

Post by Blanger »

Week 10

A twist this week..... while nothing is wrong with the truck my wife surprised me last week asking me if I wanted the windows tinted ......of course I said! lol

So my wife of many talents tinted the windows in the '62, this is 20% tint which might be a little dark (legal-wise for our state) for the side windows but it turned out really nice, she was able to get almost all of the peppering off the glass from me grinding around them with a razor blade and elbow grease, at least you can no longer feel the marks.

Looks like I'm getting in the 14 -15 mpg fuel usage which is really great and better than expected, nothing really has changed since the exhaust work and removing the 2nd converter on each bank had no effect nor did it turn on the CEL...so we are good.

------

Sheet metal should be in today for the '65 so hopefully I should be able to get the cab mount and floor pan replaced this weekend, the rear of the cab has to be cut and new metal formed in that area to fit around the RM frame but I'll have no real idea of where to cut it until we test fit the cab on the RM chassis, I'll also need to cut the remains of the center floor bracing (front to back of the cab) that is rotted away at the rockers on each side it will also interfere with the RM frame so has to be trimmed away.

My goal is to have the cab ready to sit on the RM frame when we get the body off the RM, I know it will have to come on and off several times to mock things up but to save on shop space I want to have it basically ready to go so I can keep the shop clear during the week in-case my wife needs to use the shop for her business, it's winter now and she uses the shop a lot some weeks so I need to keep the area I'm using down to the smallest footprint I can...lol

You never really have enough shop space, we could easily use twice the space we have but living in town of course they put limits on what and where you can build....no matter how big you build it is never enough...lol

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

Jon
foodstick

Post by foodstick »

Everytime I look at this truck I wish my short uni would have been this straight.. I might have stuck with the old paint look as well. It was just to beat. I really like your truck as it is.
Blanger
United States of America

Post by Blanger »

foodstick wrote:Everytime I look at this truck I wish my short uni would have been this straight.. I might have stuck with the old paint look as well. It was just to beat. I really like your truck as it is.
Thank you!

Honestly the pictures make it look better than it actually is, but it's plenty good enough for what we intended as a daily driver, I don't have to worry about scratching the paint...lol

BTW, could you edit the title of my '65 thread? if you can just remove the word "yes" and replace it with "not", I PM'd Casey 65 but never got a responce... thanks.

Jon
theinternetkid

Post by theinternetkid »

Cool looking project. Check out this gauge I'm using in my 1961 that's running on crown vic parts. It plugs into the OBD2 port and is a little sleeker than trying to run the stock gauges. It was only $80 and all of the fields are able to be customized.