Old girls got new electrickery

Here you go guys. An Australian Chapter
**Ewie**
New Zealand

Old girls got new electrickery

Post by **Ewie** »

Got sick and tired of the dodgy wiring in my 65... The engine bay suffered from a severe case of "DIY-itis", the horns didn't work, the lighting connection from the towbar only worked when the parking lights were on and don't even get me started on what was under the dash and behind the instrument cluster!!

Anyway, took her into my local auto electrician who also happens to be a hot rod guy so he knows what he's doing when it comes to the older classics.

She's had a 90% front to back re-wire and general tidy up everywhere else. All of the cabling under the engine bay has been replaced and hidden such that now, even in her grungy stock condition, she looks a million times better than before. Towbar connection has been fixed, the passenger side door is now connected to the alarm (!!?!!) and the heater fan works. Almost blows hard enough that I can feel it on my feet... almost... with no shoes or socks on... :P

Horns not fixed as yet; turns out that the column is so worn that the steering wheel can move in and out about 10-12mm (with force) and I'd never noticed it before. So rebuild or replacement is on the cards and soon.

Also planning on pulling the engine to fix a (hopefully) minor oil leak from the rear and will do a clean, tidy and paint of the engine and the bay while I'm at it. Will also upgrade the brakes at the same time and install the power brake master cylinder I brought in from the US a few months ago.

Still working on a custom billet set of beams so I can lower things a bit.. will post a new thread on that project as it develops...
65 F100 Shortbed
Auckland, New Zealand
Leeroy
Australia

Re: Old girls got new electrickery

Post by Leeroy »

Ahem...... We need pics. Even of new wiring!
charliemccraney

Post by charliemccraney »

I'd like to see how the wires were hidden, for inspiration.
Last edited by charliemccraney on May 24, 2014, 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lawrenceville, Ga
1961 F100 Unibody
318 Y-block (292 +.070 bore, +.170 stroke), FMS T5-Z w/Mustang 10.5" diaphragm clutch.
Alan Mclennan
Australia

Post by Alan Mclennan »

Yeah what Leeroy said :P , sounds like a great improvement !! :burp:
Honey, If I say I`ll fix something I will, there`s no need to remind me every 6 months!!
66 f100 tabletop swb 351 Clevo C6 "Beryl"

Slick Stock 3 KCMO
Slick Stock 4 Altoona
Slick Stock 5 KCMO
Slick Stock 6 Altoona
Slick Stock 7 Salina KS
Slick Stock 8.............................. cry.gif
jamesdfo
Canada

Post by jamesdfo »

Custom Billet Beams?? Sounds cool.....but not inexpensive?? Tell/show us more on tis as well please!!

James
**Ewie**
New Zealand

Post by **Ewie** »

Leeroy wrote:Ahem...... We need pics. Even of new wiring!

charliemccraney wrote:I'd like to see how the wires were hidden, for inspiration.

Will post some pics soon... :D

jamesdfo wrote:Custom Billet Beams?? Sounds cool.....but not inexpensive?? Tell/show us more on tis as well please!!

James

Won't be super-cheap but still waaaaay cheaper than putting an independent front end in that's for sure....
65 F100 Shortbed
Auckland, New Zealand