Slickstock in Houston??

A place for discussion of off topic subjects. Pretty much anything goes - just keep it civil, please!

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Uncle Skip
United States of America

Slickstock in Houston??

Post by Uncle Skip »

On the off chance that it ever happens, please be advised that the rules of the road are different down here. :lol:
There is no such thing as a dangerous high-speed chase in Houston. Everybody, except Chinese immigrants, drives like that.

The morning rush hour is from 6 to 10. The evening rush hour is from 3 to 7. Friday's rush hour starts Thursday morning.

Before you consider stopping at a yellow light, just remember that you risk being rear-ended, cussed out, and maybe even shot at.

When you are at a stop light, count to five after the light turns green before proceeding. This will prevent you from crashing into or being hit by the drivers, who are running the red light.

Keep in mind that construction on all Houston freeways and side streets is a permanent on-going way of life, designed to torture, frustrate, enrage and on occasion, entertain you. Road construction NEVER ends, and you will only find relief, when you are dead. In other words, in this life, death, taxes and road construction are forever.

Keep in mind that car and truck horns are usually "Road Rage" indicators - and remember, it's legal to be armed in Texas.

All old ladies with blue hair in Mercedes, Cadillacs, Lincolns and such have the right of way at all times. Period. And remember, it's legal to be armed in Texas.

I 45, I 10 and 59 outside the 610 Loop are officially considered extensions of NASCAR raceways. When traffic allows, the absolute minimum accepted speed on these and almost every other road in Houston is 85 mph. Anything less is considered downright suicidal.

If you drive the posted speed limit, you will be passed by everyone, including fully loaded dump trucks, 18-wheelers carrying 40,000 pounds of cargo, every pickup truck in Houston, gangster mobiles, black and Hispanic drug dealers in "pimped out rides", tow trucks, taxis ---- in other words, everyone, except the aforementioned little old ladies with blue hair and Chinese immigrants.

Bear in mind, that it is a good idea to learn to speak Spanish and/or to use the appropriate cultural hand-gestures. Speaking Chinese, Vietnamese, Hindi, Arabic, and just about any other language you can name is also recommended.

But above all else, keep in mind that it's legal to be armed in Texas.
ROTFLMAO
Uncle Skip
I'm not arguing with you. I'm just explaining why I'm right.
Pardon me. Does your deaug bite?
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Sounds like my last trip to Dallas alright. On a week golfing, at golf courses we had never seen before. And had no clue how to get to, but had specified tee times at, usually during the morning rush hour.

I wasn't driving, I was one of the 3 navigators , in a rented Exploder that was either right to the mat to get up to and retain freeway speed (min 85),
or right to the mat to get us stopped before we piled into aforementioned dump truck. And, no out-of-town plates on a rented vehicle either. We learned some new Mexican words. :shock:

and they had these things called HOV lanes.
Empty.
we figured they were for guys named Hovey Lopez. :lol:
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
Fanatic

Post by Fanatic »

Sounds like the east coast 'cept only the criminals have guns-hmmmm need to work on that

Tim
INEPTOCRACY: (in-ep'-toc-ra-cy) : a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.
Brion71

Post by Brion71 »

ok let me see if i got this right......Are you saying its legal to be armed in houston :?: .... :lol:
Brion.
FORDBOYpete

Post by FORDBOYpete »

I think skip's sayin it's insane not to be armed in Houston, :lol:

I'll say it's like driving in a combo of the I-5 out in L.A. on the left coast,
AND the Ben Franklin Bridge between Philly PA. & Trenton NJ at drive time, except it's done @ 85+ mph in 3 or 4 levels of converging traffic where the Lone Star interstates all run together there in Houston. . . :roll:

But once you get off the main road grid, "tis not too bad", folks are civil too. 8) :D

FBp 8)
Change is the Only Constant
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

Skip, sure you are not talking about Alaska and Anchorage ? some of the foreign languages may be a bit differernt but all the other things are right on.and the real big thing is no expressway. all of the roads out are one lane each direction. if you pull out from a side street like mine, just past a curve in the road, there is no substitute for horsepower and cubes at this point, best get your @$$ moving, the traffic will not slow a bit, the truckers making the 350 mile Fairbanks-Anchorage run all drive like the rig was stolen and they are being chased.
aside from the tourists who stop at starange places on the roadsides or sometimes in the road for pics the only slow things are the big oilfield equipment being moved, sometimes there are tractors to help push and pull these monsters up hill and slow them going down.
all further reasons to own and drive slicks or other vehicles of size here.

here as in Texas it is legal to be armed.
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton