$43.00 fillup! How do you do it.

A place for discussion of off topic subjects. Pretty much anything goes - just keep it civil, please!

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Alan Mclennan
Australia

Post by Alan Mclennan »

We have the same problem down here,even though we produce part of our own fuel the pollies added a fuel exize,( I think thats how its spelt) so we pay world parity prices.At the moment ULP from $1.22 to $1.36 a litre,and LPG the byproduct of a byproduct is 52 cents a litre.
Alan conspy.gif
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Jason. got some pics? might give it a try.

Alan, Auto Propane has been off again on again here, with up and down gasoline prices. Problem is, on long trips you cant always find propane so a full-time conversion is only good for in town. Saw one on a 351 in the wreckers on the weekend but it had been scavenged for the tank and regulator. Worst thing is, they won't let you park one in a Parkade (Parking Garage for you in the US) and the price fluctuates wildly on propane, seasonally. In winter it can be almost as much as gasoline, it's used as a heating fuel quite a bit, and it only has 80% of the energy as an auto fuel that gasoline does..

That big a price disparity, like you have, tho and it would be a wise way to go.
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
Alan Mclennan
Australia

Post by Alan Mclennan »

Johnny,We call them carparks here!,do they think that gas is more explosive than petrol ,as I would`nt know the difference myself, although I saw that explosion in Texas on TV,WOW!. The government brought in subsidy scheme to entice people to change to LPG,before scheme install cost around $1,900.00 after start of scheme $2,890.00 and 6 month and up wait to get it done.This was done for global warming HA! , the only winners were the LPG industry.Alan
My65

Post by My65 »

Ok some quick specs on Flash points:

The flash point of a flammable liquid is the lowest temperature at which it can form an ignitable mixture in air.

* Gasoline:
o Flash point: > -43 °C (-45 °F [negative, below freezing point of water at +32 F])
o Autoignition temperature: 246 °C (475 °F)
* Diesel:
o Flash point: >62 °C (143 °F)
o Autoignition temperature: 210 °C (410 °F)
* Jet Fuel:
o Flash Point: >38 °C (100 °F)
o Autoignition Temperature: 210 °C (410 °F)
* Kerosene:
o Flash point: >38-72 °C (100-162 °F)
o Autoignition temperature: 220 °C (428 °F)

Diesel varies between 126F and 204F (52C-96C/WJ). Jet fuels also vary a lot. Jet A and jet A-1 have a FP between 100F and 150F (38C-66C/WJ), close to that of off the shelf kerosene. However, both Jet B and FP-4 have a FP between -10F and +30F (-23C/-1C/WJ)

* Propane:
o Boiling point > -44 F
o Flash Point > -156 F
o Autoignition tempurature > 920-1020 F

Happy reading!!

:shock:
Last edited by My65 on July 27, 2007, 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Weird is relative, and my relatives are really weird!!
Alan Mclennan
Australia

Post by Alan Mclennan »

:shock:,Saywhat nuts.gif .Alan
My65

Post by My65 »

flammable chemicals + pressure (compression) = BIG BOOOOOOOM!!!!!!!!

By increasing the amount of atmospheric pressure in a container along with flammable chemicals, you increase the risk of explosion. Cars don't really explode like on TV. They do definitely increase in heat tho. Years ago before they started venting gas caps etc... the tanks would get hotter and cause the gasoline inside to "off gas" and create pressure in the tank. Eventually the gas would escape from the weakest point (cap) and this would result in a med - big "WOOF".
Gasoline as a liquid does not burn. What actually burns is the vapour above the liquid. A puddle of gasoline will slowly 'burn' itself out from the vapour escaping off the top only. While compressed gasses are already in a 'gaseous' state (same as us after a chili cookout) all the vapour will ignite at the same time.

Hope that helps. No I'm not a physics major, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night!!! :D
Weird is relative, and my relatives are really weird!!
DocDave

Post by DocDave »

I'm starting to de-evolve technology
I want to know all about steam engines and flash burners
Figure if it gets bad enough, a slick is just about perfect for a steam conversion. Just trying to figure out if it can be done in a way that returns the used steam vapor back to water without much of a loss.
Hell they did it with the Stanley Steamer. A little newer technology may make it work now. Now if I can get it to burn cow patties the farmers will be back to makin money :shock:
From a guy without his Ford that he left on a rock in the North Atlantic.
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Check this out Dave.
http://www.stanleysteamers.com/modern_steam.htm
and Google Doble steamer sometime.
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..