$43.00 fillup! How do you do it.

A place for discussion of off topic subjects. Pretty much anything goes - just keep it civil, please!

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

shawns fords

Post by shawns fords »

doc,I hear ya, it cost me almost 80 bucks on E85 @ 2.29 a gal, would be almost 120 with 89, as well I put close to 20k a year on my two work trucks
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Re: $43.00 fillup! How do you do it.

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Doc Pepper wrote:
When did it become "precious?"

When you elected the (ex :roll: )- owner of an oil company with a bunch of friends in Halliburton president. Any more questions doc? like "what's bigger, a freight train or a diamond?" or "Does it get dark when the sun goes down?"

seems pretty obvious to me.

Maybe next time, vote in an (ex :roll: )- Mafia Don, and we can muse about the sudden increase in gambling , drugs , and prostitution :wink:
Last edited by Johnny Canuck on July 24, 2007, 6:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
6Slick5

Post by 6Slick5 »

Doc

How do you measure your mileage without topping off your tank?

Just curious as that has been how I check mileage, I keep a log book and top off every time.

Marty
65 F-100
94 F-150 (Daily Driver)
2006 Vibe (Wife's Car)
65 Karmen Ghia (Son's Car)
Iron Horse Bicycle, trying to save some gas money!
Greg D
United States of America

Post by Greg D »

Doc, same here, $40+ to fill the 62, $45+ to fill the 05 GT (premium), $45+ to fill the 85 GT (HAS to have premium, but rarely driven), $35+ to fill Rose's ragtop (but it's rarely driven), $60+ to fill her van! Can you imagine what it's like when we take them all for gas the same day? I gladly pay it cause the other choice is a POS jap car.
1964 F 100 - I am going to do "something" with it.......

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15942

1987 Mustang LX Convertible, 2.3 Auto - cruiser.
1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

~ Yes - I adopted another cat..............

Cam L Milan,
You'll be missed my friend.
Phil

Post by Phil »

How do I do it?

I open the garage door and look at my ride and its all worth it

Someday I'll get another slick :(
Ford4jack

Post by Ford4jack »

Doc just think of it as under 70 cents a quart. Heck that's cheaper than some bottled water.

JC what's the price of gas in Canada?
Greg D
United States of America

Post by Greg D »

Just remember guys, about half of what you pay for in gas is taxes. The oil companies actually only make a couple cents per gallon, government makes over a buck a gallon in it. I realize that even 1 cent per gallon x all of the gas sold is still ALOT of $ but just why should the politicians get 100 times what the company making it gets?
The government actually feeds the hysteria that it's the oil companies screwing us on fuel ("repeat the lie long enough it becomes the truth - Joseph Gobles minister of propaganda - Nazi Germany). Keeps the attention off of how much they are charging us for it, some of this money goes for "green car" research which means that they are giving money the extort from us to jap car makers, but of course the "American(?)" division.
What if they taxed everything like this? Build a house for say 100K, builder gets 10K of that, government taxes the house like it's gas, so it now cost 200K, then the builder still has to pay income tax on his 10K.
Can't blame this on the current president, been that way long before he got there. After all most everybody did something before they got elected. Would you actually want someone in there with no real experience that was just "groomed" for the job without having to make it on their own?
Just a little fuel for thought.
:shock:

1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

Cam L Milan,
JimDog
United States of America

Post by JimDog »

ford4jack wrote:JC what's the price of gas in Canada?

See for yourself

BTW - those prices are cents per liter. So multiply by 4 to get the price per gallon. Looks like it is selling in the $4 - $5 per gallon range up there in the great white north.

So if you are wondering what you get when you elect an ex-owner of an oil company with a bunch of friends in Halliburton - the answer is pretty obvious. You get gas that is a buck or two cheaper then your neighbors to the north. Interesting in light of the fact that the number one importer of oil to the US is Canada...
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

ford4jack wrote:Doc just think of it as under 70 cents a quart. Heck that's cheaper than some bottled water.

JC what's the price of gas in Canada?

Jack you would crap if you had to pay what the thieves up here screw us over for. Varies between $1.09 and $1.14/litre currently and they are jacking it up for the August long weekend as I speak.

The Canadian govt. sold the farm to the American oil companies over 20 years ago, and now we pay what you pay, plus all the ADDITIONAL taxes the greedy politicians can hose us for. So when your prices are up, ours are worse. All this, when I can damn near throw a rock at an oil well from here.

BOHICA.

oh, and Halliburton is here, shaking us down like a 16 year old shakes his little brother's pockets upside down, as well. Better keep our noses clean or they will find some "Insurgents" in Calgary next. :roll:
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
Garbz

Post by Garbz »

Its easy Doc.. up here in Phoenix i just open the wallet and slip in the MAC card for some juce......472 cubes eats fuel even with 2.75 gears..The gas here is crap with all the junk in it..

Garbz
Ford4jack

Post by Ford4jack »

Checked out the link for prices. Wow! gas & diesel prices are ruff there.
Figured they would be a bit higher than here because of higher taxes but not that high.
That's just messed up man.

Hope to see hydrogen used as a fuel source someday but it most likely would be taxed to death also.
ABA

Re: $43.00 fillup! How do you do it.

Post by ABA »

Doc Pepper wrote:(No need to respond, this is just a much needed rant)

I decided to fill up the truck's tank, I have never done it before. I haven't 'filled up' since gas went over $1.15/gal.

$43.00! How do you do it? I was sick. I felt a piece of my soul die when the price on the pump finally soaked in. And gas is down to $2.70/gal!!

Did you know that gasoline was once considered a byproduct? It was what was left after the diesel, solvents, lubricants, bug killer, paraffin, (etc.) were removed from the petroleum.

When did it become "precious?"

Anyway, as I am not concerned with changing the minds of the rest of the World, I guess I will just have to learn how to increase my mileage even further and hope that someday they will make a vehicle that is inexpensive to buy, inexpensive to own, and inexpensive to run.

Hmm, I wonder. Should I hold my breath until they do?
You do know that you are going to get WORSE gas milage now that your tank is full. That's a lot of extra wieght your hauling around for nothing. :shock:

Or you could just install a 12 gal. tank, then it would only take $32.00 to fill-er-up. :lol:
'01 F150 Lightning
490RWHP
Gas Mileage? What's that?
Jerry
61ford

Post by 61ford »

43 dollars isnt too bad for a half ton truck i spend that alteast to just fill up my ranger dads truck takes regularly atleast 70 to fill it up
Ryan

61 Ford f100 Unibody short bed
351w/Aod
Greg D
United States of America

Post by Greg D »

:laughing: Sorry Doc, it's just tough to get simpathy from a bunch of guys who are in the same boat by choice. I do pay alot more for fuel than my neighbors wife does for her Toyota (although he has a Harley Supercrew F150 with a supercharged 5.4). I would however be ashamed to be seen IN the Toyota. I love my Slick and my Stangs, if it costs me more to drive with a smile on my face I guess I can just figure I save some $ by not having to buy a mask to drive with. I also don't have the type of income that most who would buy a 30K fun car do, I sacrifice to have my 05 GT. I occasionally get alot of WOW over my 05, I just tell them that having one comes down to what are you willing to give up to own it. It's not alot different with my 62, I slave my butt off on that truck. I wouldn't trade a minute of it though, I will also make alot of sacrifices to finish it. I have also had offers to sell all 3 of my toys, they are all still here.

1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

Cam L Milan,
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Yep. put 65 bucks in the Brick the other day and it still had a 1/4 tank. The price you pay to run an eight in these crazy times me friend. But what comes around goes around they tell me.

Someday we might all have 10 second nuke cars that cost 10 bucks to run a year, and they will be scrambling to GIVE gas away. AHAHAhAHAHAh I hope I live long enough to see that day.

Meanwhile we pay while the govt's of the free world dance like Robaxicet marionettes at the end of the oil companies strings. I wanna be a politician so i can be an Oil company pawn too!! NOT>
My65

Post by My65 »

"Better keep our noses clean or they will find some "Insurgents" in Calgary next."
Did somebody call me?!?!

Well to monkey wrench this thread and stir up the conspiracy nuts (self included). I may have stumbled on the fabled mileage secret. Seriously tho... I rerouted the 'smog' pump that came on my 351W so instead of blowing wind and sunshine up the ass end of my engine; where it does absolutely nothing but rob HP, it now sucks cold filtered air from in front of the rad, and blows straight into the carb. Seems to work since I can go @ 100K in traffic on 1/8th of a tank of gas. Which I believe works out to 10L/100K. Half of that trip is @ 120-130 Km/h. I don't know what that works out to in imperial.
Weird is relative, and my relatives are really weird!!
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Jason. been wondering just what to do about that annoying apparatus, myself, short of cutting the belt. Now, I can have a poor mans blower, and get 100 miles per gallon?

Oh you were pulling my leg.. 8)
Max
United States of America

Post by Max »

But does that work below the equator? :shock:
"If you don't want to stand behind our Troops, feel free to stand in front of them."

1964 Ford F100
1967 US Army M416
Ford4jack

Post by Ford4jack »

Doc I do not believe anyone's happy about paying more for fuel but what ya gonna do.

Heck I'm self employed doing dirt work and selling things on ebay.etc
When fuel prices are up it costs more to operate equipment and ship items.
People have less cash to spend so its a two way effect.
If it was up to me fuel would be cheap but its not so we must just carry on as best we can.

good luck on your mileage.
My65

Post by My65 »

Well, sort of. I did re-route the smog pump so that it blows into the carb. And it does get that kind of mileage. Try it. all you have to do is plug the hole in the back of the head, take the intake hose off of the air cleaner, plug in the out going hose there. and put the intake hose in front of the rad with one of those 3" airbreather filters.

Try it. It would take @ 15-30 minutes, and @ $20.00 worth of parts. You will have to re tune your carb a little bit tho.

The pump itself does not push enough air to run on it alone. You do need to run a regular aircleaner with filter etc... and this just blows straight into the carb, the cold air that it sucks from outside the truck. My thought on this was to pressurize the air cleaner just enough so that the intake pressure was more positive than negative. Also the colder air going into the chambers should assist in combustion, and lastly I figured with this little added pressure it would aggitate the gas-air mixture better for a better detonation.
So far, it's been working great. For a while I had 2 big block engines and transmissions in the back, and I never even noticed a dip in performance or mileage.
Weird is relative, and my relatives are really weird!!