PLEASE, Stop me from buying a motorcycle

A place for discussion of off topic subjects. Pretty much anything goes - just keep it civil, please!

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

ezernut9mm
Sweden

Post by ezernut9mm »

this should help doc. warning:graphic pics inside!

http://www.motorcycle-accidents.com/pages/photo.html
always
"i believe i've achieved satisfaction".-bubbles
"should i be gettin" baked for this boys?"-bubbles

i could no longer keep "r.i.p.ing" all of our fallen brothers and sisters, so i say here, slick loads of love and much respect to all you beautiful people.
ripsnorter

Post by ripsnorter »

Doc, if youre really interested in getting a bike, want something new and pretty, not too expensive, good quality but not insanely electronic, get a Triumph.

I think their bonnevilles are about $8000 brand new, and they look gorgeous. Very retro and true to the old 60s style bonnies that everyone loved. Much cheaper than a harley, and better in my opinion.

Theyre aircooled, simple, yet good quality and electric start etc.

http://www.triumph.co.uk/usa/4098.aspx

http://www.triumph.co.uk/usa/4582.aspx

Phil

Post by Phil »

My co worker's husband and father of two drove his bike into the back of a semi last Sunday and died.
I wanted one too. Now I'm cured.
Someday I'll get another slick :(
Hoofbeat Racer
Canada

Post by Hoofbeat Racer »

I remember a commericial on TV a few years back, it had a guy remaniscing about life.....he said.....I have swam to the shores of Normandy and danced with the Frauleins in Berlin....if I could do it again.....I'da bought me that Harley Davidson!

Do it and don't look back, my 2 bits
Mark

fmartin_gila

Post by fmartin_gila »

Got off a bike back in about 72 when a friend got hurt really bad. have not been on one since and have not wanted to. The older I get, the more I appreciate still having all my parts.
Fred
BigTim

Post by BigTim »

I would take my chances in a Pinto before taking to the streets on a MC. Don't get me wrong I love to ride, in the dirt.

I would consider riding on the street if I livied in a culture that it was done more. I just got back from the Dominican Republic about a month ago, 80% of what you see on the road are MCs. People actually watch out for them.

Here we have a long way to go educating drivers to be more aware of our 2 wheeled brothers and sisters. I see people everyday pull out in front of me, and I am driving a full size F 150.
Max
United States of America

Post by Max »

Stuff you see on a bike that you don't in a car will open your eyes. Big cracks in the pavement, re-treads off of the 18-wheelers, all sorts of metal dropped off of cars and the best part - seeing stuff fly past your head like rocks, nuts & bolts, etc.

I realize I live in a major city, but the sum of the above is why I sold mine after 3 years of weaving through that stuff.

Best riding story though... I was cruising along the coast towards Texas City and my throttle cable came loose. I pulled off the road to see what was up and a pack of banditos came by and offered help. Then they insulted my fine Japanese motorcycle and rode off. Humpff.
"If you don't want to stand behind our Troops, feel free to stand in front of them."

1964 Ford F100
1967 US Army M416
Slick Fan

Post by Slick Fan »

It takes a certain type of mentality to ride a bike. You can't be a fatalist.
With the same token, not everyone was meant to ride a bike...hell, some people can't even handle a bicycle, or even cars! :shock:

I'm not going to go on & on about the good points of motorcycling, mainly just to say that once you've mastered the machine & your surroundings, the whole experience is something like no other.
It also helps to have a bike that's not prone to breakdowns. :wink:

Why do you need to buy a $10K bike, Doc? You can get a whole lotta bike for $5K & under. Just buy from a private seller & get one that's

I've put 46,000 miles on my Aquamax & have only had it leave me stranded one time, when I picked up a metal chunk in the rear tire on the freeway one night (no, I didn't crash). I also do regular maintenance of course, which I would assume you would too, Doc. :)
I've ridden many bikes & while this bike isn't the best handling bike out there, nor is it the mest on gas mileage...there is just no substitute for a V-Max! 8)
Also, this bike isn't for just anybody. A rider needs a bunch of bike experience before throwing a leg over one of these.

My "Slickitis" affliction began here...

66 F100 CC/65 F100 CC/66 F250 CC
If it starts to rain, they'll tax the splash.
If you want to fish, they'll tax the bass.
If you plant a yard, they'll tax the grass.
If you don't play nice, they'll fine your *$#!
ripsnorter

Post by ripsnorter »

I really think bikes are one of those things where its up to the individual to make up his mind whether theyre good or bad.

There are indeed a lot of horror stories.

There are indeed a lot of people that have gotten killed by or on them.

There are indeed a lot of stupid drivers out there.

There are indeed a lot of stupid riders out there that dont know which end of the bike is up, which ones the throttle and which ones the clutch.

There are indeed a lot of fun times to be had on a motorcycle, provided you train yourself to be 10x as aware of your surroundings as you ever have been in a car.

There are indeed people that were incredibly good riders, aware of everything around them, and still got hurt.

I would not buy a bike for a daily commuter. I think of a bike more like a boat. Not the most needful thing, but a whole lot of fun sometimes. They can both also be very dangerous. To tell you the truth I've been more terrified on my little 15 1/2 foot sailboat than I ever have on my motorcycle, even when some dimwitted soccer mom pulls out in front of me. There were a few times I would have put more than good odds that my little boat was going to kill me within the next few seconds. Maybe thats because often my little boat gives me a little more time to be aware of the fact I'm about to possibly die, and ponder exactly how I feel about that.
Max
United States of America

Post by Max »

I think what ultimately spooked me was the realization that there were way too many uncontrollable hazards here in Houston and I just didn't want my number to get called. 99.9% of the drivers on the roads down here could give a rat's a$$ about anyone on a bike. Doesn't take a genius to figure out that kind of math.

But do I miss it... ooooooh yea. Especially on those early, crisp, fall days. And everytime I fill up at the gas station.
"If you don't want to stand behind our Troops, feel free to stand in front of them."

1964 Ford F100
1967 US Army M416
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

I am with Ezer and Big Tim on this one. Just go jump off a 5 storey building and you'll make exactly the same kind of splat. Won't cost you a dime.
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
Ford4jack

Post by Ford4jack »

Myself I would have a bike in a heartbeat IF I felt like my reflexes were sharp enough.
But there not anymore so O well.

Those new Triumphs look like a good deal. A bit heavy but very nice overall.
Good to see a basic full sized bike offered in the sea of cruisers and sport bikes that fill the showrooms anymore.

Now I just need to forget there's a Triumph dealership within 100 miles of us. :wink:
MattsIASlickShop

Post by MattsIASlickShop »

Just a quick note. I just got back from Sturgis (wed thru sun) and it was awesome. Get on a bike and head out there sometime, we spent more time riding the canyons and outlying highways than being at the rally. 2109.7 miles round trip from my house. 45 to 50 MPG on my Street Bob was pretty good, I think.
My vote is for you to decide what kind of riding you want to do, research your choices for cycles, take a training class, buy a bike (or rent one for a few days to see if you like it) and enjoy.
After I researched my options, I knew it would be a Harley and I chose the Dyna Street Bob.
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Sure matt. you were just there to see women's .. uh teeth. :wink:
you could go to the local tippy bar shell out 10 bucksto see the same or better, and save yourself landing on the back of a semi in Sundance, Wyoming as a red splotch.

Matt there is nice stuff to see in the Black Hills. It is just the 1000 miles of ABSOLUTELY NOTHING in between that gets ya. Not to mention the obligatory-in-Sturgis 4500 dollars worth of Harley corporate paraphernalia (not including the price you pay for a Harley. You could have one FINE fleet of slicks for the price)

Coming off as a bit of a Curmudgeon here, I guess I am not a bike guy, sounds like you had fun on your trip tho. :thumright:
Last edited by Johnny Canuck on August 7, 2007, 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
Alan Mclennan
Australia

Post by Alan Mclennan »

butbut.gif Doc, FORD dont make a bike do they :shock: .Alan
shane amigoni

thanks

Post by shane amigoni »

thanks for the pleasant thoughts that are now in my head. in an hour i'll be riding the ole buell home from work. anyway i thought i could ride pretty good till i took a motorcycle safety course. i would highly recommend these to anyone who rides!
ripsnorter

Post by ripsnorter »

Alan Mclennan wrote:butbut.gif Doc, FORD dont make a bike do they :shock: .Alan

:lol:
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

ripsnorter wrote:
Alan Mclennan wrote:butbut.gif Doc, FORD dont make a bike do they :shock: .Alan

:lol:

:shock:
http://www.honestcharley.com/V860.htm

Cheaper than a Harley. But check this at the end of that page..
WARNING: Riding motorcycles is dangerous and can result in accident, injury or death. Flathead motorcycles are not suitable or intended for all riders and conditions. Operators/owners assume all liability for safe operation and suitability of purpose.
DocDave

Post by DocDave »

My wife says I can have any bike I want to buy, Harley an old Indian, a new Indian. God shes good to me!

Only draw back is, since my last tangle with a 76 Duster (put my foot through the side of the engine and tore off the bumperette on the Dodge, with my foot) I'm only allowed to ride it to the end of the driveway.

Guess she really does want to keep me around :lol:
Dave
From a guy without his Ford that he left on a rock in the North Atlantic.
66fordtrucknut

Post by 66fordtrucknut »

Every job I've gotten, I've replaced somebody who was either killed or severly injured on a bike so for me that's a clue.
Charlie
62' SWB uni 223
66' F-100 Short/wide 352
78' F-350 dually dumpbed 400
12' F-150 5.0 3:73 LS