US General toolboxes - anyone have one?

A place for discussion of off topic subjects. Pretty much anything goes - just keep it civil, please!

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

slixtyfive
United States of America

US General toolboxes - anyone have one?

Post by slixtyfive »

I'm just curious as to the quality of the US General tool boxes sold through Harbor Freight.

Let me know if you have any experience with them.
"It's better to be gone but not forgotten, than to be forgotten but not gone." Gary Allan
Toyz
United States of America

Re: US General toolboxes - anyone have one?

Post by Toyz »

One of our local members recently purchased one. I am impressed by the quality and smoothness of drawer operation, especially when price is considered.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
LM14
United States of America

Post by LM14 »

I looked at them real hard. They seem to hold up pretty well. Have a friend that has a couple different US General roller cabinets and they are good. The smaller carry-around boxes aren't nearly as good.

I ended up buying mine at Menards. Go to Menards web site and you can get them for about the same money, shipped free to the store. You can also choose from 4 different colors. The stores only stock the green ones but mine only took 5 days to get here. I liked the drawer layout better on the Menards boxes.

http://www.menards.com/main/tools-hardw ... c-9188.htm

Here's what I ended up with last month:

The turning point for me was I could use a Harbor Freight coupon for the base cabinet but the top would add way more. Also, the one at Harbor Freight I went to look at, some drawers didn't open smoothly and the latch wasn't positive. All my drawers are very smooth and the latches work great on my Menards boxes, plus they are blue! I got the whole deal at Menards for basically the same money. The big difference is when Menards has an 11% off store-wide sale. I got $115 back and used that to fill in a couple holes in my tool supply.

SPark
1932 Ford 5 window coupe. 302/C4
1962 8V-390/C6 Unibody Short Bed Soon to be Big Window - The Lincoln that never was
2013 F150 Super Crew Eco Boost 4x4
2015 Ford Edge for the little lady, because she said so!
2007 Mustang GT, 4.6-3V/5 Speed. Only 8680 miles on the clock.

More toys, I need more toys!!!
slixtyfive
United States of America

Post by slixtyfive »

SPark
So they applied the 11% on it even though it was special order?? I assumed that was only for 'in stock' items.
"It's better to be gone but not forgotten, than to be forgotten but not gone." Gary Allan
LM14
United States of America

Post by LM14 »

I guess it isn't considered a special order. When you look at them on the web site it will show if the discount is going to be applied. I already got my rebate and spent it!

I think they do it so they only have to keep the green ones in stores. Mine came from a Menards warehouse so they already had the blue ones there.

SPark
1962 8V-390/C6 Unibody Short Bed Soon to be Big Window - The Lincoln that never was

foodstick

Post by foodstick »

I am not going to even throw out a price because it would get everyone worked up, but about 8 years ago Menards got this one time only shipment of some NICE 41 inch rollers and top boxes, nicely built with great rollers and ball bearing drawers..they were so cheaply priced ! The boxes were black with gold trim. I should have bought more..they had these incredible smaller rolling ones as well .. I forced a friend to buy one.I told hime he was crazy not to.

Then at the end they had a few left here and there, marked even lower. It was tough not to buy them all.

I always wished they had sold a nice 41 inch stepup box with full width drawers for the 41 inch..but they didn't.
ras4434
United States of America

Post by ras4434 »

Only problem with a bigger box is the need for more tools....such hard decisions...more tools or slick parts.....well maybe both.....guess I really don't need to pay the mortgage this month. :twisted:
Ross Swearingen
1965 F100 "MIKI"
1965 F100 4x4 looking for a new home
therealjoeshmoe

Post by therealjoeshmoe »

go to home depot get a husky box.. they are good! may not be as heavy as mac but they are ball bearing drawers, if you watch u can buy it piece by piece and get a smoking deal, Ive got $250 in all three of my boxes and they were all brand new... if you dont have a home depot credit card get one you will save another 5 or 10% on your purchase.. then turn around and pay off the balance... thats what i did...

Why fart and waste it when you can burp and taste it!

Image Image Image Image
LM14
United States of America

Post by LM14 »

I guess after reading Joe's post, I forgot to mention that my top and bottom box both have grip latch drawers and everything is on bearing slides. The deep drawers have dual rows of bearing slides for heavier loads. The thin drawer in the bottom of the top cabinet is actually a stainless steel work surface that pulls out and latches. Didn't think I would ever use that feature bit I really like it now, it's at the perfect height for me.

When shopping for a box, check into the drawer load rating, that varies a lot from brand to brand. Also compare stiffness of the drawers, there is some real junk out there with name brands on it.

Also, after having my original Craftsman roller cabinet since '80 (the 27" wide one seen in the pic above beside my new blue boxes), and having a second one that is slightly bigger and all grip latch and roller slides, I am completely disappointed in the newest Craftsman boxes. In just the last 2 or 3 years they have cheapened them up drastically in the drawer thickness and latch for the drawers. I wouldn't recommend a Craftsman box at this time. They actually discontinued the better boxes and changed to something cheaper about 3 years ago as far as I can determine.

SPark

PFM-64f100

Post by PFM-64f100 »

I have had my HF tool box (the big one) for 5-7 years now with no troubles. Only problem I have is not enough room but I have bought the extra boxes for it. Works great for me. :) :2cents:
64 F100 short bed-style side-460-c6-with side toolbox and Dakota Front Suspension
And a 65 CrewCab

Chris W.

The pickups
65 Crew Cab
http://www.purpleflyingmonkey.com/CrewCab/index.html
64 F100
http://www.purpleflyingmonkey.com/1964- ... index.html
The Torino project http://www.purpleflyingmonkey.com/1971- ... eFile.html
DJ Bill

Post by DJ Bill »

I have the Husky box from Home depot, and am extremely satisfied with it. and it is LOADED. I also have the black tool cart for HF, and it is an excellent value for the money. As far as their other toolboxes go, the bigger ones are pretty good values, just make sure your box works well before leaving the store with it. Their 20 percent off coupons are not supposed to be used on the toolboxes so you have to wait for a killer sale or join the savings club to get a really good price. I joined the club when I got my black one, it saved me about $20 but I never did use the card for anything else and it expired.

Trust me, if you have more toolbox space than tools it won't be long before you fill it.
JOSHF100
United States of America

Post by JOSHF100 »

Here are mine. I put them on a platform and built a solid top.
I've had them for 3 years and they have held up fine.

Mike391
United States of America

Post by Mike391 »

I have the 44" US General/Harbor Freight bottom roller. I've had it for about 3 years, and it's been great. I looked at new Craftsman boxes in Sears, and I honestly think the HF boxes are sturdier.

FYI, you can no longer use the HF 20% off coupons on toolboxes, but they go on sale pretty often. And they are a great value at the ~ $350 sale price. On another forum I'm on, a guy posed a picture of his girlfriend standing in the top drawer. Apparently no harm was done to the box (or the girlfriend).

I've also heard a lot of good stuff about the Menards boxes, but the closest Menards to me is over an hour away. So I went with HF.
Greg D
United States of America

Post by Greg D »

I have a Kobalt from Lowes.
All welded (not folded and riveted) stainless construction, very heavy duty wheels, power panel, comes with drawer liners.
Upper & lower boxes for under $1000.
VERY easy to keep clean!
I would and will buy another lower cabinet - to replace the craftsman POS my air tools are in.
They have more than one drawer configuration available too.
This one worked for the stuff I keep in this cabinet though.
This is the pair I have;

1964 F 100 - I am going to do "something" with it.......

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15942

1987 Mustang LX Convertible, 2.3 Auto - cruiser.
1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

~ Yes - I adopted another cat..............

Cam L Milan,
You'll be missed my friend.
slixtyfive
United States of America

Post by slixtyfive »

Thanks for all the great feedback here guys! I really appreciate it.

scbolt - I was actually thinking of doing something like that also (just getting lower cabs and putting a bench top on them). Looks good!

Keep the comments/info coming if anyone else has any......
therealjoeshmoe

Post by therealjoeshmoe »

scbolt wrote:Here are mine. I put them on a platform and built a solid top.

good lord!!! :shock:
Why fart and waste it when you can burp and taste it!

Image Image Image Image
Hoofbeat Racer
Canada

Post by Hoofbeat Racer »

[quote="scbolt"]Here are mine. I put them on a platform and built a solid top.

Damn, thats awesome. My wife wants a new kitchen, I wonder if she would go for that.
Mark

62galxe

Post by 62galxe »

Due to limited floorspace I may copy that idea. Are the boxes the only support for the top?
1963 uni PATINA BLUE
1965 short bed
JOSHF100
United States of America

Post by JOSHF100 »

62galxe wrote:
scbolt wrote:Here are mine. I put them on a platform and built a solid top.<br abp="1584">I've had them for 3 years and they have held up fine.<br abp="1585"><br abp="1586"><br abp="1587">Image
<br abp="1588">Due to limited floorspace I may copy that idea. Are the boxes the only support for the top?

Yes the boxes are only sitting on a 2x6 frame. I took all the casters off to use them for other things.
Thanks for the compliments guys.