New Aluminum bodied F150 to get 2.7L V6 Ecoboost??

A place for discussion of off topic subjects. Pretty much anything goes - just keep it civil, please!

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

jamesdfo
Canada

New Aluminum bodied F150 to get 2.7L V6 Ecoboost??

Post by jamesdfo »

WOW!! Didn't ever imagine I would see the day a full size truck used a 2.7L engine........ the new 2.7L motor makes 325 hp and 375 ft/lb torque

http://bangshift.com/general-news/bangs ... rbos-diet/

James
LM14
United States of America

Re: New Aluminum bodied F150 to get 2.7L V6 Ecoboost??

Post by LM14 »

My 3.5 Liter makes 365HP and 420 lb-ft of torque. I've now pulled a trailer head on into 35-40MPH winds for 500 miles without a problem. It's amazing what you can do with turbos.

My concern is that as they lighten these trucks to cut down on work for the engine to drag it around, that they get the truck too light and it's not stable pulling a trailer anymore. They already have gyros in them to help detect sway and can set your trailer brakes without your input if it's needed to stop the sway. I know my F150 is a lot less stable than my F250SD was. It weighs less and has lighter springs because of that. Somewhere there has to be that line they will step over and make the pickup for city dwellers that never use them as a pickup or to tow something. I think they are about there.

They will probably do great around town but I wouldn't want to pull that 10,000# trailer with one. I think the power can be there but not the stability.

SPark
1932 Ford 5 window coupe. 302/C4
1962 8V-390/C6 Unibody Short Bed Soon to be Big Window - The Lincoln that never was
2013 F150 Super Crew Eco Boost 4x4
2015 Ford Edge for the little lady, because she said so!
2007 Mustang GT, 4.6-3V/5 Speed. Only 8680 miles on the clock.

More toys, I need more toys!!!
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

Supposedly they are upping the GCWR because of the lighter curb weight!!!!!?????
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
jamesdfo
Canada

Post by jamesdfo »

Steve/Paul: All that really doesn't concern me, cuzz my Ranger may very well be the last (and it was the first) new vehicle I ever own:)

My interest in late model stuff is primarily based on them being DONORS for other stuff:):)

James
Lowell
United States of America

Post by Lowell »

My concern is how well will these engines hold up when they are cranking out that much horsepower?
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

James, I said that upon my first new truck purchase a few years ago. Now I may consider another new one if they continue with the big V-8. I'd like to increase my towing capacity (and comfort) just a little without a diesel. I don't want any part of "additives" and diesel which costs as much as premium, all for a very slight increase in fuel economy. Mod 'em and make them perform as they should? I can see the writing on the wall on that!
It should be interesting to see how it all settles out; pricing, repairing of the aluminum, insurance costs, etc.It amazes me that Ford is willing to "bet the bank" on the success of these new trucks. They seem to have "got it right, finally" on the current diesel, now what about the 17 year old basic design on the larger pickups?
:2cents:
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

I think they finally nailed it right on the head. You can still get the 5.0 which since 1968 has been my favourite Ford number. Plus now its made out of Aluminum, (NOT Aluminium Alan)and wont rust out like them damn Shebbys and especially toyota junk. For the first time since the 70's, it think Ford has got it right enough for me to go look at one. The price will probably scare me off, but the whole idea of an all aluminum truck is just so right...
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
jamesdfo
Canada

Post by jamesdfo »

JC: well, aluminum may not rust, but it can still corrode ( go look up galvanic & cathodic corrosion). Never seen a European car w/ ally body with holes....or a service body, cube truck, etc with holes???
Less of a problem than mild steel.....perhaps, but not impervious to the elements. And Paul is right, it will be interesting to see what repair costs/insurance rates are like after they have been out for awhile & they start crashin & bashin them:).
mercuryv8
Canada

Post by mercuryv8 »

jamesdfo wrote:JC: well, aluminum may not rust, but it can still corrode ( go look up galvanic & cathodic corrosion). Never seen a European car w/ ally body with holes....or a service body, cube truck, etc with holes???
Less of a problem than mild steel.....perhaps, but not impervious to the elements. And Paul is right, it will be interesting to see what repair costs/insurance rates are like after they have been out for awhile & they start crashin & bashin them:).

We were just talking about this at work... the dealerships who's cars are already heavy into the aluminum (lexus, BMW, Mercedes...) have some pretty crazy specifications for their repair centers. Aluminum only rooms, fancy spot welders, ... $$$ some crazy shit. Everyone was unclear what Ford has specified. But if these others are an indication it will be expensive.

Just in the last week or so I have been considering the ecoboost. After one of the Sunday night chats I started really looking into it. My fifth wheel weighs max 10 000lbs. So by the numbers the 150 could do it. Then I figure I could use the 150 as my daily driver too, since its so good on fuel.

The only thing Im sad about it no crew cab long box.

Nic
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

I want a reg. cab shortbox.
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

aluminum melts at a fairly low temp and brings good scrap value
instead of chop shops there will be meltdowns
in 2065 no one will find body parts for their 50 year old ford truck as all will have been recycled

i see it as a bit of a risk for fomoco to mess with their best selling product, and i read there will be close to 100,000 less 2014s produced due to the massive retooling and shutdown time required.
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

Ah, yes, an initial surge of work for millwrights! Then probably a slowdown in work due to decreased production and longer die life! I am certainly not ready to bet against Ford in this matter; I'm sure the pros and cons have been heavily weighed! Then again; it took Ford an uncomfortable amount of time to react to the challenge of the light duty GM 900s.
We shall see, I hope!
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Paul
therealjoeshmoe

Post by therealjoeshmoe »

id like to see a comparison between the new eco boost and my 5.7 tundra..

i may use a few more gallons of gas but i bet ya ill smoke their aces...

Why fart and waste it when you can burp and taste it!

Image Image Image Image
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

Kinda a lop-sided contest, eh, Joe? Now, if you wanted to test the waters against a late model with a 60 year old engine design, just let me know! Or maybe my four cylinder "pinto motored" Mustang if really feeling ambitious!
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Paul
Jerry D
United States of America

Post by Jerry D »

I've been to a couple of truck accessory events where Ford has talked about their new truck. They claim to have put units in the hands of test users a year or so ago, without telling them they were aluminum or different. Apparently, all results came back good, and most everyone didn't know the difference between the regular and test truck. It was supposedly a mix of fleet and construction use.
LM14
United States of America

Post by LM14 »

Joe, don't underestimate that turbo motor. It's embarrassed a lot of trucks out there. ;)

I have a '13 Eco Boost Super Crew Short bed 4x4 and it's the best truck I have ever driven. I got new trucks every 4 to 5 years at work and this one is better than any of them or anything I owned personally.

To pull that 10,000# trailer, you would need a Max Tow package and that limits some options. While you would be able to handle it HP wise, I still question the stability with a half ton. The springs are too light. As much as I like the power and mileage of my F150, I think you would be a lot happier with a 3/4 ton for that much weight.

I'm getting 20-22 MPG going down the highway empty and the very worst I have gotten with my trailer behind me was 8.5 into a 35-40 MPH headwind. On my return trip 2 hours later on the same stretch of road I was getting 15.6.

Mine has the 3.5L twin turbo and so far I am truly impressed. I never expected this kind of power from a little V6. It's smooth, comes on from idle and never stops pulling.

The only thing I don't like is it has a 6 cyl exhaust note and I love the sounds of a V8. But still, it's hard to beat 420 lb-ft of torque and 20 MPG.

The new stuff is supposed to be even better.

SPark
1962 8V-390/C6 Unibody Short Bed Soon to be Big Window - The Lincoln that never was

Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

I have seen all kinds of rusty Mustangs

and Toyotas (By FAR the worst)

But I have NEVER EVER seen a rusty aluminum bodied Cobra

Nuff Said?
LM14
United States of America

Post by LM14 »

When was the last time you was a Shelby Cobra driving down a snow/salt covered road?

Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

Point: Steve! Particularly an aluminiuuuuuum one!

Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Paul