Welder recommendation

A place for discussion of off topic subjects. Pretty much anything goes - just keep it civil, please!

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

shipwrecked
United States of America

Welder recommendation

Post by shipwrecked »

I've got an allowance of 750.00 for a mig welder and any accessories to go with it. Had some basic experience in it years ago, but want to start again before I start cutting my truck. Any recommendations for a hobby type welder that can get the job done with body sheet metal? I'm not planning on welding anything on my frame.

Truck being delivered this afternoon! It's been two years since its sat under my control. And I'm off work for 15 more days.
The months may change, but I am always APRIL
'63 F100 Custom Cab 223inline 6, 3speed manual- mostly stock
https://www.youtube.com/coastiereid
Truck has been home in CA,OR,WA,NJ,VA since it's birth in San Jose Jan63
6166 Junkyard Dog
United States of America

Re: Welder recommendation

Post by 6166 Junkyard Dog »

I bought a Miller about 21 years ago,, it's a miller 130 which works off house current,, only thing I done to her is about 2 weeks ago bought a new cable/gun assembly and a cover for it and my unit sits outside all the time covered up with thick clear and a cover,, I was not sure if the cable assembly was the problem But works just like the day I bought it new,, But before trying it I saw some great deals on E-Bay on Millers,, I would get it using Argon Gas so if you decide to weld s/s you can with that gas,, I have welded all kind of parts I made, welded trailer hitches to make stronger etc. weld brackets on roll back,, looking back My Miller has well paid for itself over the years,, just my :2cents: d
Tom,
@
Lazy FORD Ranch
Where Ford Trucks Rest in Peace

Dakota,,, RIP will never be the same looking for 61-66 trucks again ,, :cry: Kathy :cry:
Slickstock,,, York, PA
Slickstock,,, Kansas City, MO
Slickstock,,, Altoona, IOWA
Slickstock,,, Salina, KS

Now Cooper will try his best :lol: :lol:

Cooper now has 2018 Slick Stock,, give him a fair star :lol:
Slickstock Kansas City, Mo
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

I bought a brand new Hobart 140 Handler mig welder from Tractor Supply a little over a year ago. Best money I have spent. I runs on 110. With gas it welds excellent. Great for the hobby welder. Also you might check your local Craigslist...
1964 F-100
LM14
United States of America

Post by LM14 »

Probably the best deal out there right now for a hobby style welder is the Hobart Handler 140, as stated above. I have a Lincoln 125SP that I have used the crap out of for 25 years. It's been a great welder but it is a bit more than the Hobart.

As for accessories, I would suggest a GOOD auto darkening helmet with a big viewing window and adjustable darkness.

Also a good set of long gloves.

Also, go straight to gas and skip the flux core wire. The gas is well worth the extra cost with a much better quality weld.

Good luck,
SPark
1932 Ford 5 window coupe. 302/C4
1962 8V-390/C6 Unibody Short Bed Soon to be Big Window - The Lincoln that never was
2013 F150 Super Crew Eco Boost 4x4
2015 Ford Edge for the little lady, because she said so!
2007 Mustang GT, 4.6-3V/5 Speed. Only 8680 miles on the clock.

More toys, I need more toys!!!
64 f100

Post by 64 f100 »

Everything above is correct, but Lincoln may have better controls. I have the little miller and it is a good little unit. Only thing different on the new ones is the cup size is larger on the new ones which makes it harder to get into tight places.

Rich
1961 F350
1964 Galaxie convertable
1964 flairside, style side, and longbed
1965 Ranger, and shortbed
1966 long bed, and shortbed
A few parts trucks also
1991 Capri
2011 F250
2004 Lexus
bruceandersson

Post by bruceandersson »

I've worked with quite a few mig welders, starting with the imported inexpensive one that I got at Sam's club. It worked well but the consumables got hard to find. I upgrade to a Clark that I got for 50% off when the local Quality Farm and Fleet went out of business. This was another 110 unit and worked better and had standard consumables (tips...). When I wanted to get into thicker material, I looked for a while and found a used Lincoln Sp250 - which is a great welder. Probably more than I need. The clark is a semi-off brand but a great value and would meet your needs as well as save you some money. Lincoln, Hobart, and Miller are all great but carry a premium price. Eastwood has some welders they re-brand and appear to be a good value.
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

Lm14 is definitely correct about a good auto-darkening helmet. It's like night and day (no pun intended...well, maybe) as far as your welding...I started with flux core because that is what came with my Hobart 140, but several others told me to get the gas...glad I listened. Gas makes a huge difference, because with it I can weld like a pro...almost.
1964 F-100
Truckrat
United States of America

Post by Truckrat »

Only downside to gas is you need to be inside a building.
If outdoors, any breeze that comes along will blow your shielding gas away
and then you've got problems. Flux core is usable outside but
as was stated above is not nearly as good as using Argon. I still don't
have a Mig at home, but this thread is giving me a lot of useful information
on good choices when I do buy one. TR
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

Looking into all your suggestions... I see the Hobart 140 as probably what I may go with. Bang for the buck. I will be looking around. I did look in craigslist but the local ones are sketchy and one guy has the Hobart 140 for 400... Brand new out of the box it's 500, and not two years old or so like the add said.

First things first... Look around and put the need/want list together. I appreciate the input!
unibody madness
United States of America

Post by unibody madness »

I have the 220 Lincoln unit from home depot, and a friend has had both 110 and 220 units from eastwood I would go eastwood if I were to do it again it welds well and has infinite adjustments where as mine has fixed settings.

Harbor freight 110 welders are not recomended
Turk build thread at:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=18944

It does not matter what you think, it only matters what you do about it!
mercuryv8
Canada

Post by mercuryv8 »

I agree with all abovementioned. The only thing I would add is you should get 75/25. That's 75 argon 25 carbon dioxide. It does a better job with the 110 v welders.

Nic
64 f100

Post by 64 f100 »

Cheapest auto-darkening helmet would most likely be harbor freight. Not the best and flimsy on the headgear, but what do expect for less than 50$.

Rich
1961 F350
1964 Galaxie convertable
A few parts trucks also
1991 Capri
2011 F250
2004 Lexus
grump

Post by grump »

I've had a Clarke mig welder for probably 25 years and can't even begin to guess how many miles of wire it's had run through it. I don't think they make Clarkes anymore. Mine is 110 volts and I built a 5x12 trailer with it and it hasn't had any welds break yet. I use 75/25 gas and wouldn't use anything else. If I were to buy a new welder I would probably look at a Miller but that's just my personal choice. Get a good electric helmet. They make welding and especially learning to weld so much easier. I used a big Miller at work for about 10 years and used a spool of wire a month which is why I prefer Miller.
SRSControls
United States of America

Post by SRSControls »

I'll weigh in as a 4th on the Hobart Handler! I bought mine about 5 years ago and it has (even though it shouldn't) welded frames and fish plates with excellent results! I also use 75/25 gas.

On a side note, Eastwood just released a new MIG 250 this month.

http://www.eastwood.com/mig-250.html

It is dual voltage and if the quality is as good as the Eastwood TIG and Plasma I bought, I wouldn't hesitate buying it. Only down side is it is slightly above your stated budget at $899. Maybe it will go on sale soon like all their other products? Are you in a hurry?

"If you didn't pay to buy the parts, sweat and shed your own blood to build it, pay to register it, and pay to insure it, your opinion of it is of no matter to me."

"This is the Hotrod section....we drive our trucks. The trailer queens are over there!"

64 F-100 Short Bed (Under Construction)
Industrial Chassis Dakota crossmember kit #16
Industrial Chassis Brake Pedal Kit
"Top Secret" drive train
BigBadDad

Post by BigBadDad »

Hobart Handler 220V unit . I got mine a few years ago at Tractor supply. Definitely get the 75/25 gas and set it up too. Flux core works, but is ugly. The gas makes for much better welds. The Handler comes with .030 wire, but the tips and .o23 wire are available for sheet metal body work too.
Big Bad Dad
If it needs sayin', Say it!
Gritsngumbo
United States of America

Post by Gritsngumbo »

I'd recommend taking a look at the Eastwood MIG welders. I have one and have been very pleased with it.
Haven't used it much, but it spected out good in comparison to the more popular name brands.
If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything.

LITTLE RED: 64 F100 Short Style
BIG RED: 62 F100 Long Uni
BIG “UN": 63 F250 Long Flare
BBW RED: 61 F100 CC BBW Long Uni
CRIMSON CREW: 63 F100 "Stageway" Long Flare Crew Cab
"RANGER": 66 F100 CC Long Flatbed
"AVA" 1963 Avion T-20 Travel Trailer
“Lucille” 1955 New Moon 44’ Travel Trailer
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

I went ahead and bought a Hobart 140. I was surprised that it showed up at my house in less than two day-free shipping from Sears.

I have not gotten any gas yet, or more wire, but that is coming. I have seriously burnt a hole in my wallet over the past week. Tools, more tools, and stuff!

I still want to go check out the local junk yard and see if I can snag any sheet metal to practice on for cheep. I bought an auto darkening hood from Lowes. The stores are few and far between here. I actually think I may need to go to Atlantic City to get the gas.
I am headed that way tomorrow to pick up an engine hoist I found on Craigslist.

First order of business is to get the bed off the truck, move the truck to the yard and then start fixing the bad metal in the deck. Lots and lots of work ahead! I figured I would start there since I intend to put in a lineX bed coating when it's done.
64 f100

Post by 64 f100 »

Depending on how you intend to fix the bed and what it is your fixing on the bed, floor I would suspect. I would not recommend linex, but that is a personal choice. I don't like spray liners in restored trucks. Makes it look like your hiding something. If, your just going to install flat steel in the bed floor then it doesn't matter, it won't be original anyway. the other part of linex I don't like is the fine wrinkles when it's done. Holds dirt as do all liners but hard to get out when you want it clean for a show or such. If, you have damage in the front of the bed from rust, I have one taken apart and can send pictures of what it is supposed to be and What you might want to know. E-mail me at rdkearney@yahoo.com and I will send pics. One3 thing you need to know about wire welders is that these are not meant for penetration and when welding you need a small gap between the pieces. However, with sheet metal, it would need to be very small. As to practice on sheet metal, do a lot of it before you start. Also, the new stuff on cars and trucks is not the same as our trucks . If, there is a restoration shop in your area, I would check and see if they have any pieces taken off and old car or truck. Welding sheet metal takes a lot of patience, you don't want to end up having to do a lot of hammer and dolly work if you can help it.

Rich
1961 F350
1964 Galaxie convertable
A few parts trucks also
1991 Capri
2011 F250
2004 Lexus
LM14
United States of America

Post by LM14 »

You need a good 4.5" angle grinder with an assortment of discs. The thinnest you can find for cutting, good grinding discs, a few paint stripping discs, flap sanding discs and a wire brush. Probably the most versatile tool in the box for me when it comes to fabrication and repairs. Buy the best one you can afford because as you use it you will find more uses for it and cheapos wear out too fast.

SPark
1932 Ford 5 window coupe. 302/C4
1962 8V-390/C6 Unibody Short Bed Soon to be Big Window - The Lincoln that never was
2013 F150 Super Crew Eco Boost 4x4
2015 Ford Edge for the little lady, because she said so!
2007 Mustang GT, 4.6-3V/5 Speed. Only 8680 miles on the clock.

More toys, I need more toys!!!