'13 f150 brake rotors grrr

A place for discussion of off topic subjects. Pretty much anything goes - just keep it civil, please!

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

shipwrecked
United States of America

'13 f150 brake rotors grrr

Post by shipwrecked »

So - off topic of the slick, ,but it still is ford and a truck.

My '13 Ford fx4 has about 16,500 miles on it. Had it about a year and a half and I bought it with 100 miles on it.

Here's my issue... dang rotors are feeling warped while braking. I have recently been driving "city" while eI am here in NJ. I drive 5 miles to work. Drive 5 miles home... The shoobies who come in the summer are a pain as we end up doing the go fast - slam on the brakes because they see a shiny object on the side of the road.

Anyway- I get the vibration while braking which leads me to believe I am getting warped rotors... seems to be a problem with the model ford I have. Want to get some better than OEM parts to replace them but seem to get the run around while looking on line. I haven't had time to take the tires off and inspect the rotors yet cause I am still working 12-16 hours a day. I get a break from it all starting Saturday!

Whats your opinion of Duralast (auto zone) parts? I probably could get ford to turn the rotors down some but then again, taking metal off the already thin rotors are just asking for this same problem again.

Can't afford brembo performance style brakes... need to spend money on my F150 but not my entire budget.
What you think?
The months may change, but I am always APRIL
'63 F100 Custom Cab 223inline 6, 3speed manual- mostly stock
https://www.youtube.com/coastiereid
Truck has been home in CA,OR,WA,NJ,VA since it's birth in San Jose Jan63
orangeRcode
United States of America

Re: '13 f150 brake rotors grrr

Post by orangeRcode »

I don't have a very high opinion of duralast products. If you are going to go with a store brand I would look at NAPA. They seem to be of higher quality than the autozone stuff imo.
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

we carry raybestos , a little more expensive but i have always used them with good luck
they have several grades, i use the professional, theres a few more types in disc pads but all my stuff is 4 way drum

http://www.raybestosbrakes.com/magnolia ... ht%20Truck
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
LM14
United States of America

Post by LM14 »

Have you had any tire work, tire rotation or front end work done? I have 35,000 on my '13 F150 4x4 and never had a bit of problem.

There are some instances of bent caliper mounts on these trucks that take a while to find. I've seen some complaining about their brakes warping on other forums. Nobody has been successful fixing it with turned rotors, they are too thin to begin with.

I would pull wheels, measure caliper mounts/pad backing plates to make sure they are sitting square to the rotor. See if the pads are wearing square. Also try to re-torque the wheels. Jack the front end up, hold firm pressure on the pedal for a bit and jump out and try to turn the tires to be sure you don't have a caliper hanging.

Good luck,
SPark
1932 Ford 5 window coupe. 302/C4
1962 8V-390/C6 Unibody Short Bed Soon to be Big Window - The Lincoln that never was
2013 F150 Super Crew Eco Boost 4x4
2015 Ford Edge for the little lady, because she said so!
2007 Mustang GT, 4.6-3V/5 Speed. Only 8680 miles on the clock.

More toys, I need more toys!!!
bruceandersson

Post by bruceandersson »

Not a lot of miles for brake problems. Has the truck sat for any length of time? You may have just built up some rust and uneven surface due to the pads protecting a small section when parked, and some rust setting in on the rest of the rotor. If this is the case, a quick turn down might solve the problem.
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

Driven every single day. I get one day off a week and I use it. It is a small amount of miles. I drove across country a year ago. That was the last big trip but I do take a few trips to Atlantic City area for medical appointments. It is only 40 miles away. Literally only put 6,000 miles on in a year.

Will get Saturday off work finally! Will see if I can get a moment and pop the wheel off to look at the rotors. My dad has the same truck and almost same miles. Said he was having similar problems last night. He puts less miles on a day than I do.
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

kind of an update to this- at around 18,000 miles I had ford turn the rotors and off I went. That was probably June or July. About 2,000 miles ago (currently at 25,000) the thumping in the butt when braking started again. I made that quick trip to Tennessee so I didn't take it in to the dealer till today. They looked at the rotors, made measurements of the brake pads which were all in spec, tires in spec, and nothing else could have been making it do that. Ford dealer went ahead and replaced all 4 brake rotors. The back were warping, and the front were a problem.

With 25,000 miles, no significant wear on the pads and brake rotors being warped, they just went ahead and replaced them free of charge.

I only put 9,000 miles on the truck since this time last year.

Next task.... save some money for new tires! I will need them by fall.
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

I'm preparing to buy some replacements (not Duralast!) for my (off-topic) Silverado and send them out to be cryogenically treated. That made a world of difference on my Mark VIII's and SVO's with similar recurrent problems.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
6166 Junkyard Dog
United States of America

Post by 6166 Junkyard Dog »

Shipwreck,, here is what we just had happen on my daughters 2011 truck,, brakes where going bad,, after several times being replaced thought it was the calipers,, went and ordered new calipers and then found out after that somewhere down the line the brake pads where installed backwards ??? don't know how but it did happened and now know more problems
Tom,
@
Lazy FORD Ranch
Where Ford Trucks Rest in Peace

Dakota,,, RIP will never be the same looking for 61-66 trucks again ,, :cry: Kathy :cry:
Slickstock,,, York, PA
Slickstock,,, Kansas City, MO
Slickstock,,, Altoona, IOWA
Slickstock,,, Salina, KS

Now Cooper will try his best :lol: :lol:

Cooper now has 2018 Slick Stock,, give him a fair star :lol:
Slickstock Kansas City, Mo
bruceandersson

Post by bruceandersson »

Backwards as in the steel backing plate against the rotor?
unibody madness
United States of America

Post by unibody madness »

I had repeated problems with my Dakota, and now the mini started doing it. I ended going on line and putting cross drilled and slotted rotters with ceramic pads on the Dakota that solved the problem. I just did the mini and only time will tell if that fixed it.
Turk build thread at:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=18944

It does not matter what you think, it only matters what you do about it!
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

I get the point of cross drilled and slotted, but doesn't that just cheese grate the pads?

I am gonna ride these OEM ones till they die again. Then I can get around to upgrades.
6166 Junkyard Dog
United States of America

Post by 6166 Junkyard Dog »

Bruce cannot say on that,, the truck was bought used at a dealership and said brakes new on it,, then problems then went to Ford another set of brakes and they said needed calipers got new ones at 155.00 each,, then took it to a mom/pop garage and that's when found the shoes where on backwards so we do not know who is wrong or not wrong but now no problems and took the calipers back
Tom,
@
Lazy FORD Ranch
Where Ford Trucks Rest in Peace

Dakota,,, RIP will never be the same looking for 61-66 trucks again ,, :cry: Kathy :cry:
Slickstock,,, York, PA
Slickstock,,, Kansas City, MO
Slickstock,,, Altoona, IOWA
Slickstock,,, Salina, KS

Now Cooper will try his best :lol: :lol:

Cooper now has 2018 Slick Stock,, give him a fair star :lol:
Slickstock Kansas City, Mo
jamesdfo
Canada

Post by jamesdfo »

April: Just saw this on the other channel, sounds like this is not just you (but I don't recall you mentioning if yours is an ecoboost or not?)

http://www.ford-trucks.com/articles/que ... 50-brakes/
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

It is an ecoboost..

I also saw the article- guess Ford needs to look into this.