Buyers beware

A place for discussion of off topic subjects. Pretty much anything goes - just keep it civil, please!

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

bruceandersson

Buyers beware

Post by bruceandersson »

Just thought I'd pas this on to hopefully help some avoid a problem in the future. I have been looking for a heater for a non-slick vehicle I've been working on for quite a while. Posted a parts wanted ad on a online forum similar, but not as good, as slick60s. After a while I started to get responses. Asked for photos and was ready to complete a deal with a guy out of north Chicago. I went to Walmart to send the money via Moneygram, and chose to use Walmart-Walmart instead as it saved me a couple of bucks. Got a call that evening from Walmart. They will not process the transaction since they claim there is a lot of fraud coming out of that area. So I get my refund and go back and take a look at his communications. First I googled his name and found another posting on the H.A.M.B. about a guy having issues. I then compared his photo with ones I could easily find on the web and viola, there it was. I checked out the pics from some of the other responses, and found two more with pics grabbed from the web. So I was lucky and avoided losing any money. It really pisses me off that the scam artists are invading our world. I have found that car/truck enthusiasts are a generally reliable lot. I've bought a lot of stuff from forums and through ebay over the years and this is the first problem I've run into. Here's my take going forward: Person must be known or will have to transact via something that protects me such as ebay/paypal. Absolutely no Moneygram.... type of deals. It also underlines the benefit the part vendors like Tom provide. I might pay a little more, but having someone stand behind their products is worth it.
jamesdfo
Canada

Re: Buyers beware

Post by jamesdfo »

Bruce: I guess the only upside is you found out BEFORE sending the $$.
Although it's not always possible, (but when you can), best way is to find someone local & have them do the deal IN PERSON, then send it on to you.
In many cases the mere mention of an in person deal will mean that communication from the seller stops, which is a good indication that they were trying to scam you anyways:)
LM14
United States of America

Re: Buyers beware

Post by LM14 »

I drive a lot of miles for parts an deals but so far I haven't been messed with. I usually make car deals meet me half way and that seems to work. Been a few shaky deals but they have always worked out. Have to do your homework these days. Glad your deal came out to the good.

SPark
1932 Ford 5 window coupe. 302/C4
1962 8V-390/C6 Unibody Short Bed Soon to be Big Window - The Lincoln that never was
2013 F150 Super Crew Eco Boost 4x4
2015 Ford Edge for the little lady, because she said so!
2007 Mustang GT, 4.6-3V/5 Speed. Only 8680 miles on the clock.

More toys, I need more toys!!!