Bill Elliott's Old Number 9 Thunderbird

A place for discussion of off topic subjects. Pretty much anything goes - just keep it civil, please!

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Sinc

Bill Elliott's Old Number 9 Thunderbird

Post by Sinc »

Greetings Everyone,

Today was "Daytona Demo Day" at the museum. For the past several months we have had Bill Elliott's 1987/88 Thunderbird (Number 9) on loan at the museum. This is the car that went 210 MPH at Daytona in 1987. Because of THIS CAR, NASCAR instituted Restrictor Plate racing (the Bums)! It has been a VERY popular attraction! But, we've never run it (e.g., it ain't ours to play with). Anyway, the owner gave us the green light to go ahead and demo it today, and we are extremely thankful to him! Here are a few pics…

These pics were taken earlier in the day while we were warming it up. We had all sorts of issues getting it started initially. Including a dead battery. You have no idea how complicated it is to get to its battery compartment to charge it up!!!

Next, we moved it inside for Dr. Simeone to give his lecture about the history of Daytona. Also, it was 24 degrees outside with a Wind Chill below zero!!

Then we took it outside again to demo it for the crowd. FYI: It didn't get any warmer outside!!

Then, we quickly moved back inside to let people view it close up.

I also have a video on my phone of it making laps. However, I haven't figured out how to post it here yet. But, I'm working on that.

Best regards...
grump

Re: Bill Elliott's Old Number 9 Thunderbird

Post by grump »

You sir, post some of the most interesting pictures. Really enjoy them.
36truck
United States of America

Post by 36truck »

Awesome BILL from Dawsoneville. Love that old #9. Very cool great that it got to stretch it's legs. Great pictures as always.
Tom Williams
Sinc

Post by Sinc »

Okay, I think that I have figured it out. The video file was too large. So, I had to trim footage from both ends of it. What started out as a 3:09 minute video has ended up as a 1:44 minute video. Oh well, live and learn…

Cheers!
Truckrat
United States of America

Post by Truckrat »

Wow Bill, Good to see the ol' #9 Bird is still alive!
Don't know if you watched pole qualifying from Daytona
on Sunday, but Bill's boy Chase Elliot qualified on the pole
for the Daytona 500 in the number 24 car that Jeff Gordon
drove for so long. Looks a lot different now too, because Napa
went with Chase to cup. It is in Napa blue with yellow numbers.
That kid is going to do well. He won the Xfinity championship at 18
years of age. TR