vin help

A place for discussion of off topic subjects. Pretty much anything goes - just keep it civil, please!

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

grump

vin help

Post by grump »

Can anyone tell me where or if there is a vin number on a small block ford engine. I have looked on several sites on the net and got thoroughly confused. Any help would be appreciated.
Grump
bossford65
United States of America

Re: vin help

Post by bossford65 »

Grump look on the block around the starter area may have to remove starter to see it
Toyz
United States of America

Re: vin help

Post by Toyz »

They started stamping them around the early seventies, so not all "small blocks"will have them, and I am not certain all engines were so stamped once that program fell into use. There is a small flat pad at the right rear of the block deck surface. They may be stamped in other locations on the engine as well, although I have never encountered a full VIN in such cases. Some "high value" engines had a "ROT" code stamped immediately in front of the bell housing upper flange. It doesn't directly identify the specific engine; rather gives law enforcement a tool when the ROT numbers in various locations do or do not match. It was traceable back to the original s/n when de-coded by law enforcement. Also keep in mind that in the seventies, the sequential serial numbers were said to be plant specific, further complicating an accurate history based on partial character stampings.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul