MICROSOFT, Windows 10, WTF?

A place for discussion of off topic subjects. Pretty much anything goes - just keep it civil, please!

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

jamesdfo
Canada

MICROSOFT, Windows 10, WTF?

Post by jamesdfo »

Am I the only one who's computer (No, not a MAC:) repeatedly pops up a prompt trying to get me to upgrade from my current Winds 7 Home Premium to Windows 10?

Windows 7 works well enough, I hear there are plenty of issues with W8, but W10, I know nothing about. But any time a huge corporation wants to GIVE me something, I'm suspicious :?

The only theory I've come up with is, that maybe trying to support multiple generations of software isn't that cheap, so if they upgrade everyone to W10, they only have to deal with one generation of software??

Anyways,does anyone have any first hand experience with W10, because I'm not drinking the koolaid unless a few survivors speak up first:):)

Cheers!
James
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Re: MICROSOFT, Windows 10, WTF?

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

at least 10 years since i gave up on windows and started using linux, i would never go back.
have not had any crashes,blue screens or other broken windows problems since.
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
LM14
United States of America

Post by LM14 »

I just updated from Windows 8.2 to Win10 about 3 weeks ago. Lovin' it so far. Way nicer than Win8.2. Wish I hadn't put if off so long now. Made my computer run faster than ever, too.

I updated Dianne's from Win7 to Win10 the next week. Fixed all the problems she was having all at once. Hers was running slow, not acting right and decided we had nothing to loose. Hers is perfect now. The only thing it didn't import directly for her was pictures and Word documents. I found them, they were there, and all I had to do was copy and paste them from the old location to the new one. Worked fine on both issues.

It's is a little different to run, takes some getting used to but nothing too bad. Like it a lot better than Win8. for sure. Liked how Win7 ran but once you get used to Win10 and where everything is it's faster to use. Biggest thing for you would be location of note, pictures, documents, etc. A lot different than Win7 but actually faster once you get the hang of it.

I have found that any question I have is much better supported by an internet search with Win10 than anything else was. You also have a search function available at all times that decides if windows or the web has the best answer for your question and takes you to that best answer. Pretty handy so far.

Don't be afraid of it. Backup anything important before doing it.

I think the reason it's free is they had so many problems with all the versions of 8 and once they started down the path to fix all of those it became clear that a newer version would actually be cheaper in the long run and clean up their tech issues. Throwing all the Win7 people in made that even better for them. My first notice that it was going to happen didn't mention Win7 being eligible for the update. It was a couple months later that we got a notice that Dianne's Win7 was eligible, too.

Good luck with your decision, I wouldn't hesitate now (after I put it off for 6 months).
SPark
1932 Ford 5 window coupe. 302/C4
1962 8V-390/C6 Unibody Short Bed Soon to be Big Window - The Lincoln that never was
2013 F150 Super Crew Eco Boost 4x4
2015 Ford Edge for the little lady, because she said so!
2007 Mustang GT, 4.6-3V/5 Speed. Only 8680 miles on the clock.

More toys, I need more toys!!!
longcabjohn
United States of America

Post by longcabjohn »

My computer updated this morning on it own, I think since I had not told it to do so. Have not found how to get to email yet, but did find favorites so I got here.
will keep punching, clicking, and cursing.

Johnny
If restoring a ford was easy, chevy guys could do it.
unibody madness
United States of America

Post by unibody madness »

I know I am set in my ways, but there was nothing wrong with XP, they updated it with "SECURITY" updates untill it ground to a virtual halt. I had to get rid of a perfectly good computer because after I rebooted from scratch, I could not add back my other programs because they were no longer supported.
Fast forward to new lap top with 10... I no longer have control of updates, and all I put on my computer is out there on the net for all to see. I did a search for a part I needed and now I get adds on everything from my email to facebook
I am starting to hate Kool aid.
Turk build thread at:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=18944

It does not matter what you think, it only matters what you do about it!
grump

Post by grump »

I got a new computer last year with windows 8 and for me it was a pain in the butt to learn how to use it as I am not puter savy at all. Then they came out with 10 and I constantly got pop ups to get windows 10 and I constantly hit no thanks until last night when it came up saying when do you want to install windows 10, pick a date and time with no way to say no. Needless to say I am POed that Microsoft is so damned arrogant that they are basically saying you have no choice. I looked up how to stop the down load but couldn't get anything to work. Sometimes I really hate computers.
bruceandersson

Post by bruceandersson »

We all hate computers at times, but on the other hand without them we would not have this site and group. I'd go Linux like Iceman except it would complicate my job. Windows 10 in some way will be unavoidable at some point 7 will stop working as everything around it moves forward and it stays in the past. I just wish Microsoft would hire people as good at communicating with normal people as the tech people are at their job. Unfortunately the two are often exclusive traits. So we get the updates, but they are not provided with a good process to help us move to them.
Alan Mclennan
Australia

Post by Alan Mclennan »

A few months back I bit the bullet and changed to windows 10, the screen was so dark I couldn't read it , so I unloaded it, looked up how to fix dark screen problem, down loaded 10
again, fixed the dark screen, all was well in my world :) . next day turned on the putor %$#&%^@ :cussing: DARK SCREEN AGAIN !!!, I'm not fixing it every time I want to use the bloody thing, so I unloaded it again.
Then I saw a group on FB dedicated to windows 10, so I joined and ask what was going wrong with it, windows 10 came back to me and said, to re down up sideways load what ever it is and all will be well, I asked about the dark screen again, once I had their attention..... no reply was the answer. Dear Abbey, has anyone else had that problem ?... yours truely... Down hearted down Under.
Honey, If I say I`ll fix something I will, there`s no need to remind me every 6 months!!
66 f100 tabletop swb 351 Clevo C6 "Beryl"

Slick Stock 3 KCMO
Slick Stock 4 Altoona
Slick Stock 5 KCMO
Slick Stock 6 Altoona
Slick Stock 7 Salina KS
Slick Stock 8.............................. cry.gif
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

Ive had to use windows programs on work computers since we got them in 2000. I hate them.

I have been a mac user since 2008 when i bought this laptop. Its held out great all this time but about a year ago, I somehow used all the memory even with my movies/music and pictures on separate hard drives. i now get twice daily prompts to update adobe-even though i did... I will buy a new mac when my truck is finished- till then I will just keep clicking the "update later" box.
The months may change, but I am always APRIL
'63 F100 Custom Cab 223inline 6, 3speed manual- mostly stock
https://www.youtube.com/coastiereid
Truck has been home in CA,OR,WA,NJ,VA since it's birth in San Jose Jan63
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

I run windows 7 it seems to work great for me, believe it or not, better than my Ipad, which drops facebook for no reason regularly. I have received no offer to upgrade my windows 7 to 10 yet at all. Might do it if it were available. Except for what my Aussie friend says.
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
Alan Mclennan
Australia

Post by Alan Mclennan »

Google it Fergo, theres a lot of people having that problem... :evil:
Honey, If I say I`ll fix something I will, there`s no need to remind me every 6 months!!
66 f100 tabletop swb 351 Clevo C6 "Beryl"

Slick Stock 3 KCMO
Slick Stock 4 Altoona
Slick Stock 5 KCMO
Slick Stock 6 Altoona
Slick Stock 7 Salina KS
Slick Stock 8.............................. cry.gif