Most Popular Auto Museum in America

A place for discussion of off topic subjects. Pretty much anything goes - just keep it civil, please!

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Sinc

Most Popular Auto Museum in America

Post by Sinc »

Hey Folks,

I know that all of my posts concern the Simeone Museum in one way or another. Well, sorry, I can't help it - that is where my passion is. Anyway, I am very proud and honored to share the following Press Release with everyone…

Philadelphia, PA - USA Today conducts popularity campaigns among best places to see and things to do throughout the country in their national 10Best series. After a month of online voting under the category of Best Transportation Museums, the Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum was the most popular car Museum, and the second most popular among all types of transportation museums.

Recently honored three times by the International Historic Motoring Awards in London, the Academy Awards of the automobile history community, The Simeone Foundation Museum enjoys popularity because of a selection of special sports racing automobiles set in dioramas reliving the race tracks. Regularly, these cars are taken out on a small track at the South West Philadelphia Museum and demonstrated for the public in a historical context. Regular educational lectures and young driver safety programs are part of the mission of the charitable foundation.

The museum’s underlying inspirational theme, the spirit of competition, is demonstrated by the serial, chronological display of the world’s most important race cars and how they evolved stimulated by the desire to win.

Once described as "having more Mona Lisa type cars than any other automobile Museum", more information about the five-acre Museum facility located near the Philadelphia International Airport can be found at http://www.simeonemuseum.org
Toyz
United States of America

Re: Most Popular Auto Museum in America

Post by Toyz »

Well deserved recognition and accolades!
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
jeepbut
United States of America

Post by jeepbut »

What type of business does the Simione money come from and how many generations back was it earned?
Sinc

Post by Sinc »

Hey Lyman,

How are you? Good to hear from you!

The Simeone "money" is from Dr. Simeone himself. He is a world renowned Neurosurgeon (he's retired now). He started collecting historically significant sports racing cars when he was a young man. He bought them for pennies on "today's" dollar. Back then no one wanted an old beat up race car. The guy is a genius! Also, his father was a car guy and we have two or three of his cars in the collection as well. However, Dr. Simeone will not drive those cars out of respect for his dad.

Finally, several years ago Dr. Simeone created a 501©3 charitable foundation and donated his entire collection to it. The foundation is run by a board of directors. We charge a nominal fee ($12.00 for adults) to our spectators and that covers most of the day-to-day operational funding. We also rent out the museum for corporate events, weddings, birthday parties and so on. That way the museum and the collection will continue long after he is gone.

I hope that answered your question.

Best regards…Sinc
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Well I never heard you brag about the Stock Exchange when you worked there Bill. This must suit you better :thumright:
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
tomrooster
United States of America

Post by tomrooster »

Bill , maybe you or somebody at the museum knows something about this race car or driver, I just found this picture recently , the 2nd man from left is my Dad. Thanks Tom

1966 F250 Camper Special parts truck
1966 F 100 w/391 ft
1965 F 100 project
1958 Edsel Pacer Convertible
1953 ford Customline 2 door
1952 8N
1967 triumph Bonneville

I'm still not a good welder but I've become a good grinder
Sinc

Post by Sinc »

Hey Johnny, the Stock Exchange was "work", the museum is "pleasure"!

Hi Tom, great old photos! Thanks for posting them. But, I'm going to need a bit more information. It looks like the car might have been number 99. But, give me an approximate year and location (Race Track name, etc.), and your dad's name. We have an extensive Research Library at the museum. No guarantees, but I'll see what I can find.
tomrooster
United States of America

Post by tomrooster »

Bill, I know nothing - about the picture. My Dad's name was Frank Hahn, he grew up central NJ. My cousin sent it to me a couple months ago, never saw it before then, my Father never mentioned it or anything about race cars but he was a mechanic born 1912. Tom
1966 F 100 w/391 ft
1965 F 100 project
1952 8N
1967 triumph Bonneville

Sinc

Post by Sinc »

Hey Tom,

I'm not sure how much help I can be. However, the cars in the background of the photo seem to be from the early 30's. So, I looked for New Jersey race tracks that operated in the mid-to-late 30's. Check out this website and see if any of the locations might have been in your dad's wheelhouse…

http://www.njrn.com/njhistory.html

Good Luck!!!

P.S. If you're located in Central NJ, then you're less than an hour away from the museum. Why not stop by and visit me? I'll give you the 10-cent tour. Just give me a heads-up on when you're coming. FYI - The second and fourth Saturday's of each month are when we do our "Demo Days". So, they are the best days to visit. Hope to see you there!
tomrooster
United States of America

Post by tomrooster »

Bill, I tried sending the picture to them a couple months ago but it got bounced back, I'll try again, I would like to visit the museum and I have been thinking about it since I met you at the gathering we had by York a couple years ago. Thanks Tom
1966 F 100 w/391 ft
1965 F 100 project
1952 8N
1967 triumph Bonneville

longcabjohn
United States of America

Post by longcabjohn »

The driver looks like a young Bill France (nascar), and I think he was from that area.

Johnny
If restoring a ford was easy, chevy guys could do it.
tomrooster
United States of America

Post by tomrooster »

Johnny, This is a picture of bill France circa 1931

1966 F 100 w/391 ft
1965 F 100 project
1952 8N
1967 triumph Bonneville