Getting closer on the barn from the Slickstock 6 logo !

A place for discussion of off topic subjects. Pretty much anything goes - just keep it civil, please!

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

foodstick

Getting closer on the barn from the Slickstock 6 logo !

Post by foodstick »

Started working on the missing/rotted wood, roof problems, structure paint etc last year... and now I am down to painting the last of the barn .. (the high sunny south side) I have power washed it ,but it still takes hand scraping and that is work..especially from a ladder.

While the early part of this years Slickstock event was going on I got the bottom of this side of the barn scraped and painted.

I have hand brushed the first coat on the entire barn.. Some places I have used a roller on the second coat, but it does have two coats minimum, and I am even caulking knotholes cracks and the gaps on the small trim boards that cover the big flat boards edges..

I am going to get a lifting platform hoist to finish off ,as I think the peak of the barn is about 30 feet. Its just going to be impossible to safely paint the soffets and put some metal over the facia board from a ladder.

I actually have about 4 feet more painted than this pic, but I am getting there !

Michelle
United States of America

Re: Getting closer on the barn from the Slickstock 6 logo !

Post by Michelle »

I have to agree, it would be a little scary on a ladder 30 feet in the air. The gutters on my house is 12 feet and even that scares me when It comes time to clean them out.
Michelle

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner. A Republic is a well-armed sheep.

I hope I always stay crazy, because I know if I ever become sane, it will drive me crazy.
Mr. Jones

Post by Mr. Jones »

Two things about the lift....1) Put some 2'x2' plywood under the out riggers......2) Take a bucket full of water ballons up with you and call all your friends over............years of experience here,my :2cents: worth.
Dan
foodstick

Post by foodstick »

Thankfully I will have a forklift /platform lift mechanic with me to keep me safe ! Those of you that met my friend Carl at Salina this year know him ! The unit he is going to borrow from work needs new batteries and he told me I better help you out on the lift or you might get stuck up there ! hahahahahah

Speaking of Carl he is in for a bigger shock this coming week, He has never SEEN the Rockie Mountains, and He and his Brother are going to Estes Park CO. in an old school Toyota pickup camper ! One of those teeny cab with a huge camper on the back rigs. I have already told him you are gonna be crawling for miles up hill, and terrified all the way back down in that rig.
therealjoeshmoe

Post by therealjoeshmoe »

ARE YOU MOVING IN THE BARN LANCE?
Why fart and waste it when you can burp and taste it!

Image Image Image Image
foodstick

Post by foodstick »

hahahah, No Joey it was at the point if I didn't get it fixed up and painted.. the next guy might not have anything left to fix...
LM14
United States of America

Post by LM14 »

Well, first you start with your pickup backed up to the target. Next you get your longest ladder and put it in the joint of the box/tailgate. Next you get your wife to climb the ladder!

Piece of cake!
SPark
1932 Ford 5 window coupe. 302/C4
1962 8V-390/C6 Unibody Short Bed Soon to be Big Window - The Lincoln that never was
2013 F150 Super Crew Eco Boost 4x4
2015 Ford Edge for the little lady, because she said so!
2007 Mustang GT, 4.6-3V/5 Speed. Only 8680 miles on the clock.

More toys, I need more toys!!!
therealjoeshmoe

Post by therealjoeshmoe »

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Why fart and waste it when you can burp and taste it!

Image Image Image Image
Truckrat
United States of America

Post by Truckrat »

I have never been able to get my wife up a ladder!
Deathly afraid of heights! TR
LM14
United States of America

Post by LM14 »

Dianne wasn't crazy about it.

I wanted to hire it done but she wanted to save money and do it herself. It all went pretty well with our girls and a friend of hers coming over to help until she got stung by a wasp while lying on the roof painting the sides of the dormer. That pretty much ended it. My contribution to the project was carrying paint up ladders, moving the pickup on that wall and putting in all new windows so they could paint the window sashes.

Next time we will hire it done, I sold the ladder!

SPark
1932 Ford 5 window coupe. 302/C4
1962 8V-390/C6 Unibody Short Bed Soon to be Big Window - The Lincoln that never was
2013 F150 Super Crew Eco Boost 4x4
2015 Ford Edge for the little lady, because she said so!
2007 Mustang GT, 4.6-3V/5 Speed. Only 8680 miles on the clock.

More toys, I need more toys!!!