flat tires

A place for discussion of off topic subjects. Pretty much anything goes - just keep it civil, please!

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

shipwrecked
United States of America

flat tires

Post by shipwrecked »

Well- I guess I just wonder how often/if you've gotten a nice flat tire story.

I just happened to walk out in the wicked rain storm today and see my F150 leaning a little left. I got home at 10pm night before, and was walking the dogs to the back yard at 0600. The tire was flat all the way to the rim.

It honestly took me about 45 minutes to change it out. Between trying to figure out the dumb scissors jack ford sent with this truck *which didn't extend high enough for the stock suspension on my truck*.

Ive got tendonitis in my wrist right now and its pretty painful to do anything. Pain in the ass for sure.

ImageImage

Sure glad I had this issue in the driveway.

years ago- I had a 2001 F150 and I went to the portland airport to pick up my former brother-in-law. My dad called me and asked me to stop by and get ice cream on the way to the house for desert and I pulled into a grocery store parking lot.
Got out of the driver seat, walked two feet back behind the cab and hear a SHHHHHHHHHHHHHH and watch the tire just flatten before my eyes.
Picked up a nail. Sent my bro-in-law in to get the ice cream cause he didn't know how to change the tire. I changed it before he got back out to the parking lot. He was a bit useless.

See a lot of flat tires here in South Jersey for what ever reason. Not sure what it is, but it happens daily. My co-worker happen to have a flat this morning as well. She lives down the street from me. I suspect someone lost some nails in the road.
The months may change, but I am always APRIL
'63 F100 Custom Cab 223inline 6, 3speed manual- mostly stock
https://www.youtube.com/coastiereid
Truck has been home in CA,OR,WA,NJ,VA since it's birth in San Jose Jan63
slick4x4
United States of America

Re: flat tires

Post by slick4x4 »

I hate flat tires
Being a farmer.....
With tractors, combines , trucks , trailers , farm implements....
Personal vehicles ,lawn mowers , atvs .....
I counted all the tires up in my head....
I quit counting at 100.....
I'm not lying
Just replaced a pair of 18.4-38 tractor tires
I bought used ones... $1000 for the pair mounted :cussing:

Former ? ... Brother in law ? ..... Musta bought the wrong ice cream :oops:
[b]'' I think what scares me the most about you guys is that I understand you '' ..... KID
'' lookin good, a little paint adds at least 100hp!'' ....... COOTER
'' well an old guy can dream cant he? ''............ICEMAN
''I would donate organs before selling my slick''........ HOOFBEAT RACER
foodstick

Post by foodstick »

I had a tire that was a slow leak type issue , my old compressor won't work in the winter ..and I thought I wonder how well my high pressure bike bump would do? I clipped it on and started pumping....It was really hard to tell if it was even inflating, but after awhile the pressure needle started to crawl up... when I finally got done, I felt a bit of satisfaction like I had cheated physics or gravity somehow ! hahahahaha

Every time I pull off something my couch gamer nephew would not be able to do... I strut a bit.. until my back or shoulder starts hurtin ;)
Truckrat
United States of America

Post by Truckrat »

When my wife worked for Home Depot those contractors were all the time dropping nails, staples, screws and no telling what off trucks and trailers in that parking lot. If I had one fixed I had a hundred flats fixed. Probably not quite that many but a bunch. seemed like one every week there for a while. I told her to quit parking up there where they would pull in, but those guys were everywhere. They needed a parking lot vacuum truck on 24 hour retainer to keep the place cleaned up. TR
therealjoeshmoe

Post by therealjoeshmoe »

foodstick wrote:I had a tire that was a slow leak type issue , my old compressor won't work in the winter ..and I thought I wonder how well my high pressure bike bump would do? I clipped it on and started pumping....It was really hard to tell if it was even inflating, but after awhile the pressure needle started to crawl up... when I finally got done, I felt a bit of satisfaction like I had cheated physics or gravity somehow ! hahahahaha

Every time I pull off something my couch gamer nephew would not be able to do... I strut a bit.. until my back or shoulder starts hurtin ;)
:rotflmao:
Why fart and waste it when you can burp and taste it!

Image Image Image Image
Michelle
United States of America

Post by Michelle »

I gave up on flats and started buying new tires every five years regardless of how much tread was left on the tire. I used to run tires until they wore out, but they would get so old before they wore out that I would start having blowouts because of the age of the tires. So I found it better to just replace them. it has saved me money because if the damage it would do to my truck or my trailer. I sell my old tires to the farmers around here for their farm trucks and equipment that never leaves their farms. I sell them cheap and they are glad to get them and they get a lot of service out of them before they dry rot.
Michelle

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner. A Republic is a well-armed sheep.

I hope I always stay crazy, because I know if I ever become sane, it will drive me crazy.
Mr. Jones

Post by Mr. Jones »

I spent an entire weekend last July mounting six 7:50/16's on my one ton wheels,the six hole lock ring style......fast forward to Wens.the week of SlickStock I leave home Salina bound...bout 40 miles from home the right front blows on me..... I found myself at a cross road on Hywa.56 south of Lawerence,Ks.pulled over to move one of the rear Dually's up front no problem I thought, had my 3/4" socket,breaker bar and 6" extension bar even had the big ass floor jack.Got the rear lug nuts off,slid the jack under the axle and started pumping......nothing happened it just sat there......little cylinder was dry as a bone......walked to a farm house,nobody home.....What a great way to start the day....saw what looked like a shop building on 56 walked over there......and guess what!!!!i. It's a machine shop,the guy had a brand new 5gal.bucket of hydraulic oil sitting by the door...I offered the guy $20.00 for cup full.He just says naw take what you need....How luckey can get!!!!!Filled up the jack,changed the wheels and drove on to Saline.......
Not more than 100yrds.from the motel was a tire shop that not only worked on lock ring wheels but had a 7:50/16 bias ply tire and new tube and did the repair........some times everything comes roses......
Dan
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

I got a piece of campaign sign metal in my tire. I knew I ran over a cardboard sign in the wind/rain storm the other night but didn't know it was still attached to the metal frame you jam in the ground.

The tire is patched. I did a tread depth test on all the tires and they are between 6/32 and 5/32. I can not go a winter here with that tread depth. I will go sliding all over the dang place when it starts to snow.

I got on craigslist and found a brand new set of tires off a 2016 F150 that had 300 miles on them. The guy bought the truck- and promptly put bigger tires and a lift on it. He stored the tires in the ATV trailer he had in the back yard and they were made in late 2015. So they are new tires. They are Goodyear Wrangler Fortitude tires- stock tires for the Ford trucks when they come off the showroom floor. I hate stock brand tires cause they don't last but 30,000 miles on all my vehicles Ive ever owned. But I bought these tires knowing that and I expect to get about two or three years out of them.
charliemccraney

Post by charliemccraney »

Closest I've had so far is a nail that caused a fast leak, but it still wasn't fast enough ;)
Lawrenceville, Ga
1961 F100 Unibody
318 Y-block (292 +.070 bore, +.170 stroke), FMS T5-Z w/Mustang 10.5" diaphragm clutch.
fire704

Post by fire704 »

I still have 7:50/16's on my 64 F-250. Yes, I still have the lock ring wheels. I had a flat 2 times on the same tire. I bought 4 new tires and tubes several years ago when I got my truck back on the road. Seems that the tire store did not remove the paper label from the tube. It took 15 years for the tire to develop a slow leak and another few months before it went flat. After 2 unsuccessful repairs, they finally changed the tube. Now I just have repaint the rim.
bruceandersson

Post by bruceandersson »

Worse flat tire story I have is when I lost a tire on an entrance ramp in Oklahoma. The rim for the flat tire ended up buried in a hill of red ants. Had a hydraulic jack that I needed to get under the spring by lying among the angry ants.
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

[quote="fire704"It took 15 years for the tire to develop a slow leak and another few months before it went flat.[/quote]

:shock:
15 years!!