Diesel woes.

A place for discussion of off topic subjects. Pretty much anything goes - just keep it civil, please!

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

64 f100

Diesel woes.

Post by 64 f100 »

A few years ago, I bought a new 2011 f250, which now has 75K miles. In the last several months I have had this truck in and out of the Ford garage. I finally changed garages to see if would could get these problems fixed. This is what I ran into. I would take it in and they would run a diagnostic and check things out, tell me it was a sensor which is not covered by the warrantee and tell me that will be a couple hundred thank you. 100 miles later the light would come on saying the same thing it said before, and would shut down to limp mode at the next fueling, which should be read as if you shut the engine off your dead in the water at 4mph.. Only the last when I took it in, I was told it was most likely the particulate filter, but that wasn't a guarantee . In other words I could replace it and it wasn't covered by the extended first class warrantee I had bought when the truck was new. So I asked what it was going to cost me to get it fixed to replace this filter. I was told 5,000$ for a little section of the exhaust system. This left me between a rock and a hard place. Having already spent several hundred this was a shock to say the least . The filter is 3300$. In the end, I had a delete installed on the truck and screw the warrantee. Hated to do this, but I was tired of the bullshit. At 5,000$ there was not guarantee that this would fix the problem. And once installed, if it did not cure the problem it was my loss. So, instead I replaced the whole exhaust system and did a delete of the emission's crap. My decision was based on the fact that we do not have truck inspections. It is my understanding that if caught in California, the truck will be stopped where it's at and will have to be put back original before being able to drive it out of the state . Ford is not the only one with a particulate filter problem. Dodge also has had problems with this but theirs only cost about 1400 for the filter. I kept the original stuff and it will be put back on before trading if that ever happens. Immediate increase in fuel mileage after delete, and harder shifts. The programmer can be set for any number of different options, but it is only set for mild enhancements and harder shifts. Performance is much better, but I really like the fuel mileage after the change. The fuel mileage had been dropping from day one when I bought the truck. I had no intention of doing a delete on my truck, but felt like I was involved in a never ending scam by the Ford motor company. As a result of my decision, I have lost 25K miles of warrantee, if that really means anything since I was paying for all these things that did not fix the problem, as these sensors etc. were not covered . I have heard that some people are cleaning the particulate filters, but no one in our area is doing this as of yet. In addition, no one lists an aftermarket filter to replace these, at least there was no price on one.

Rich
Toyz
United States of America

Re: Diesel woes.

Post by Toyz »

Rich, I don't know how many miles yours has, but as a general rule, anything affecting emissions should be covered by warranty, although I will have to look to determine duration. Some states will not allow a dealer to sell a vehicle without all emission equipment originally installed in place and working. I have never heard of any state targetting out of state vehicles for roadside non-compliance.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
Michelle
United States of America

Post by Michelle »

I have heard other horror stories about problems with the 2010 and up Power strokes. I have made a decision to keep my V-10. I have a 156,000 miles on it and it has never gave me a bit of trouble except for having to replace three coils, it still has sever of the original coils on it. If I were to crater it today, you can buy a rebuilt V10 for less than a four thousand dollars. It is followed by a five speed manual transmission that is also cheep to replace. I pull a 34 foot fifthwheel with it and on a hard pull I can downshift to third gear keeping the RPM at 4,000 to 4500 and still stay with a Power Stroke. So its not so bad. Rather than spend 60,000 dollars on a new truck I will just hang on the my dependable ole V10.
Michelle

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner. A Republic is a well-armed sheep.

I hope I always stay crazy, because I know if I ever become sane, it will drive me crazy.
foodstick

Post by foodstick »

I was afraid this was going to be the same story as my uncles Diesel 6.0, or is that 6.2?
FarmMotorSports
United States of America

Post by FarmMotorSports »

I'm afraid the future of all recent and future light diesel vehicle's is doomed. The standards, and control systems, that have and will be put on light duty diesels is a death sentence.The means being used to control emissions on them, absolutely destroy what most of what these trucks are purchacsed to do.

On a side note I have an aftermarket, 4" inlet/outlet spun Stainless, particulate filter in my garage, and for prices your quoting I'd personally deliver it to anywhere in the continuous48... with a warm shop and cold beer, installing might be on the table.
61 F250 Unibody
5.9 Ford Diesel / Allison
Disk brake straight axle
36truck
United States of America

Post by 36truck »

That's a major I won't own a diesel in a personal truck. Way to much money to repair. With the gas engines doing so well with power these days their the only way to go. The government sure can mess up a good thing.
Tom Williams
64 f100

Post by 64 f100 »

Thank you all for the kind words. As to what I will do with the truck and the exhaust system, only time will tell. I was between a rock and a hard place when this last happened. As was, I had to leave my fifth wheel where it was for almost another week past when we were planning on taking it home. I am just about maxed out on my 3/4 ton, as the fifth wheel weighs in at 13,000 empty. I have airbags installed for the extra loading. As to the particulate filter you mentioned, I most likely will buy a used one that is low mileage. I've found one with less than 5K miles for 900$, but at this point I'm tapped out on easily found cash, and it is off a 2016 and there have been some sensor changes. As long as I can get by with the aftermarket exhaust, I will most likely run it.
RustNdust65
United States of America

Post by RustNdust65 »

I know your exact pain. At my job me and all the other techs drive f550's. I have the oldest and highest miles a 2002 with 320xxx miles and sounds and drives like a school bus. The other 4 techs drive the brand new 2015-2016 f550's...well jokes on them. Every single one of there trucks has had a MAJOR problem before they even hit 70k miles. I've done nothing with the 02 except regular maintenance. They all ask to trade trucks everyday because they have been stranded hundreds of miles away. The annoying part is I'm the shop mechanic second to field service tech at my job so I get to fix all the trucks on top of my 12 hour day. But just recently I we were in a very similar situation with two of our trucks. My boss's f450 did the exact same thing and the dealer told him the same kind of stuff so just did the banks delete and worked awesome. Our other truck a 2015 f550 apparently sat to long and the def sensor crystallized long story short the sensor was like $360 and it was a nightmare dropping the def tank to fix it.

Either way they don't make them like they used to. Way to many sensors and emissions controlled garbage. I will never own a diesel for a personal truck after seeing the price on parts and the frequency of problems.
6166 Junkyard Dog
United States of America

Post by 6166 Junkyard Dog »

SINCE Most know we have all different diesels in the years,, etc... oh yes Calif is hard on there emissions of trucks here is what we do,, every once awhile a quart of trans fluid in,, Buy the additive that Ford Sells and have a mechanic at Ford like we do that knows something instead of some of the wanna bees I have seen, as far as that Filter goes Rich I have our mechanic force into the rejuv. stage and watch the exhaust temp go up to 4000 + degrees to clear it out since under normal running it will not go that high. on one truck Ford wanted to give us 3500 less on trade in due to exhaust, went home that night and had all original equipment put back on that was taken off when it was new, Rich need a older one that does not take that horse piss but will still pass emissions
Tom,
@
Lazy FORD Ranch
Where Ford Trucks Rest in Peace

Dakota,,, RIP will never be the same looking for 61-66 trucks again ,, :cry: Kathy :cry:
Slickstock,,, York, PA
Slickstock,,, Kansas City, MO
Slickstock,,, Altoona, IOWA
Slickstock,,, Salina, KS

Now Cooper will try his best :lol: :lol:

Cooper now has 2018 Slick Stock,, give him a fair star :lol:
Slickstock Kansas City, Mo
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

I have three pre-DEF diesels in my driveway, one from each of the "Big Three". After talking with Tom at Slickstock, and hearing conversations such as these; I have pretty well talked myself out of a single new replacement for the two I own! Like Rich, I am occasionally pulling too much load to feel comfortable with even the 6.2 gas, IMO. My Powerstroke 6.0 has 390,000 miles; bought (well) used with no signs of cat delete, studs or any other "bullet-proofing", runs great and trouble-free so far! The 24 valve Cummins has 305,000; recently purchased, and also trouble-free so far. The Duramax is corporate-furnished, 130.000 trouble-free miles other than the typical GM items such as door handles, cracked dash, rattles, etc. Runs great on diesel, not so well on gasoline! The 380,000 mile Powerstroke is the only one with no dash cracking, and probably the hardest to get shed of due to reputation. I was hoping Ford's new "in-house" diesel would be the answer; but it does look as if all are handicapped by bureaucracy! Guess I'll just keep the ol' diesels, and find me a nice Tesla for a backup!
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
Truckrat
United States of America

Post by Truckrat »

What about a 12 valve Cummins, no emissions
crap on those are there? TR
FarmMotorSports
United States of America

Post by FarmMotorSports »

No, the old 12 valve cummins did not get emissions. The 24 valve motors were beginnings of emissions on cummins.
But those who own them are not parting with them lightly, if they are smart.

Many are well past 300,000 Miles. They can be rebuilt several times, just like their bigger over the road sibling's. It can have a stiff price tag to do it right.
61 F250 Unibody
5.9 Ford Diesel / Allison
Disk brake straight axle