Great weekend hunting with my son!

A place for discussion of off topic subjects. Pretty much anything goes - just keep it civil, please!

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

orangeRcode
United States of America

Great weekend hunting with my son!

Post by orangeRcode »

You may have seen my FB post but I'm going to post this up here to brag a bit and start some conversation about deer hunting.

This weekend (Friday-Sunday) was youth deer season here in OK. It occurs every year a week before primitive and during archery season. I took my 13 year old son, Connor, up to the north central part of the state near the Kansas line to hunt on my high school buddy's place. He has an awesome place of about 100 acres with several ponds and Chilocco Creek running through it. We have 4 or 5 tree stands set up on the property. Mine is in a pecan tree on the east meadow. I've hunted there for the past 7-8 years. We have gone the past 2 years and haven't seen any deer. I believe this is due to a recent drought and increased pressure from new neighbors hunting to the north and south of his property.

We walked out to the stand around 6:30 and waited. About 7:30 we saw 2 does, he got a shot but was really nervous because was his first time to shoot at one. He missed them and we settled back in to wait. About 20 minutes later a spike buck came past and stopped about 50 yards away. He sighted him in but initially didn't take the shot. He ran about 40-50 yards and I yelled at him and he stopped and stood broad side again. Connor took a shot this time. I saw him kick up his rear and was clearing hit. I watched him as far as I could until I lost sight of him behind a hill. We waited about an hour before we got down to look for him. The field had grass almost shoulder high so it was tough walking and searching. After an hour of looking with no blood trail we walked back to the house and got on quads and went back to look. We covered everywhere in that part of the field for about an hour. Went to town and got some breakfast. Came back and went back out on the quads to look some more. After about another hour of no luck we went over to the northern and fence line. There are some heavy cedar trees right by the fence and I've found more than one deer I had shot in that area. I didn't find him under there but I did look to the north past the fence and saw him about 30 yards on the neighbor's place. My buddy has a great relationship with his neighbors and they have an agreement to cross each others fences to recover any killed deer. I managed to drag him under the fence and drag him back to near the road where I could get my truck to haul him back to the house to field dress and process him. My boy helped hold the deer while I field dressed him and cleaned up the carcass. We hung him up in my buddy's shop and skinned and butchered him. He learned and helped with it all. We cleaned and processed the meat when we got home the next day. Words are hard to describe the pride I had of seeing this young man grow and learn about the whole process. He made me smile that evening we were butchering that he was almost sad we got one that soon as we would not be spending any more time together in the tree stand.

He's got the fever now and can't wait for rifle season next month. Now if I can just get him as interested in the 65 I've started working on for him. LOL

Anyone got some good hunting stories to share?
Last edited by orangeRcode on October 17, 2016, 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
foodstick

Re: Great weekend hunting with my son!

Post by foodstick »

I don't have any real good hunting stories as I like to shoot to much ! Its hard for me to have a gun and ammo without shooting a box or three of shells ;)

I do however envy anyone that is hanging out with their Dad ....
orangeRcode
United States of America

Post by orangeRcode »

foodstick wrote:I don't have any real good hunting stories as I like to shoot to much ! Its hard for me to have a gun and ammo without shooting a box or three of shells ;)

I do however envy anyone that is hanging out with their Dad ....
I rebuilt the 289 in my first car (67 Fastback) with my Dad. It's a memory I will always cherish.

Trying to make some memories he will remember with my son! :clap:
slick4x4
United States of America

Post by slick4x4 »

My brother in law from Virginia visited us about 15 years ago
Him & a couple of buddies wanted to hunt Kansas whitetail deer
Apparently , the deer in Virginia arent quite as big as Kansas deer...
He got one & called me to help him
He told me I wasn't going to beleave what he had shot
I envisioned a 14 point buck or something
I drove up there and he had shot a real nice 6 point buck
Probably bigger than average body
He was sure it was going to be a state record....
I told him it was a nice deer.. But just kinda average
He was a little disappointed it wasn't going to be in the record books
[b]'' I think what scares me the most about you guys is that I understand you '' ..... KID
'' lookin good, a little paint adds at least 100hp!'' ....... COOTER
'' well an old guy can dream cant he? ''............ICEMAN
''I would donate organs before selling my slick''........ HOOFBEAT RACER
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Almost the only person I ever went hunting with regularly was my dad. We'd always go bird hunting in the fall, like right now. That was OUR thing. One time we took my '79 shorty 4x4. It had kinda sleeted overnight and the tires were not the best. When we parked off the side of the gravel road and walked a coulee draw for pheasants, it started snowing pretty hard. Couldn't get the smooth-tired Ford out of the ditch, even in 4x4. We spent most of the day digging and shoveling dirt under the tires to get out of the ditch.

We'd gone hunting every fall since I was 14. By this time I was about 34.my Dad would have been about 61. I had young kids and my Dad retired. Never could seem to make time in the fall to go anymore.
I've never been hunting since.
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
orangeRcode
United States of America

Post by orangeRcode »

Certainly understand Johnny. Some great memories though. :clap: