garage heater

A place for discussion of off topic subjects. Pretty much anything goes - just keep it civil, please!

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

shipwrecked
United States of America

garage heater

Post by shipwrecked »

cheap, easy/ not going to explode!

What should i get? my garage doesn't have a heater. Its getting cold and i need to do a lot of work out there this winter.

Was thinking of getting a wood heater.

electrical set up in the garage is sketch.
The months may change, but I am always APRIL
'63 F100 Custom Cab 223inline 6, 3speed manual- mostly stock
https://www.youtube.com/coastiereid
Truck has been home in CA,OR,WA,NJ,VA since it's birth in San Jose Jan63
Michelle
United States of America

Re: garage heater

Post by Michelle »

I use a propane heater in my shop. I do have an advantage, I live in Central Texas and it does not get that cold here as it does where you live. There are very few days I use the heater but it is nice when you do need it.
Michelle

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner. A Republic is a well-armed sheep.

I hope I always stay crazy, because I know if I ever become sane, it will drive me crazy.
unibody madness
United States of America

Post by unibody madness »

I would look for a "Whitfield free standing stove" on Craigs list used stove very efficient uses pellets inserts generally sell cheaper but both run great.
Downside they are heavy and you will want to take it with you.
Upside you will want to take it with you....you can heat 2000 square foot house in the dead of winter with it, great b.t.u's
Bag of pellets 3.95 to 7.00 depending on location and brand. 1 bag 24-36 hours continuance heat if on low and regulated properly zero clearance.
Turk build thread at:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=18944

It does not matter what you think, it only matters what you do about it!
9Fingers
United States of America

Post by 9Fingers »

I saw a wood heater setup in a garage that worked great. Burned wood, but also had a hole drilled and tapped in the center top. Brass compression fitting was screwed in and a copper pipe fed it recycled crankcase fluid on a small drip, regulated by a hand valve between the stove and supply tank. It worked really well for them, they were in logging business, plenty of butt cuts/scrap wood and a seemingly endless supply of crankcase fluid to recycle. When it was cold and the stove hot, it gave good combustion of all fuels and no undue, extra smoke.
Always know where you will be, when you get where you're going - Jerry Clower
LM14
United States of America

Post by LM14 »

April, this is what I use in Iowa in the dead of winter. I have an electric furnace (expensive to run here and slow to bring up the temp but works well once it catches up), I have gas run to my shop but can't seem to get a furnace installed by the pros! This is my "go to" heater. You can put it close to you if it's really cold, put it far away if it's not nasty cold and still stay warm. Get a 100# propane tank to get refilled and it lasts a week or so at a time. The 20# tank will last 3 or 4 long days of work.

http://www.essentialhardware.com/mr-hea ... medium=cpc

Works great and is portable enough to use in your little portable garage if you want to. They make 1, 2 and 3 burner versions. My 2 burner is about 20 years old and works great.

Steve
1932 Ford 5 window coupe. 302/C4
1962 8V-390/C6 Unibody Short Bed Soon to be Big Window - The Lincoln that never was
2013 F150 Super Crew Eco Boost 4x4
2015 Ford Edge for the little lady, because she said so!
2007 Mustang GT, 4.6-3V/5 Speed. Only 8680 miles on the clock.

More toys, I need more toys!!!
FarmMotorSports
United States of America

Post by FarmMotorSports »

I did heating and cooling for 20 years. And here's my take...

Your not staying there. Any thing with a flue to the outside is a hassle and expense in the long term.
That two burner sunflower heater will do the job quick and easy. It is simple and cheap to buy and run, moving it, no problem. It is NOT friendly with paint fumes Etc. But once the shop is warm any 115V heater (oil filled radiator) can usually maintain the temp for a long time, while your doing things that might go boom around flames.

The set up we use at work is a kerosene power burner for a few minutes each morning. And a tired beat up oil filled electric heater to maintain the heat the rest of the day. If we open the big roll up for some reason, once it's shut on comes the power burner for a few, to take the chill out.

Until you have a more long term station I would stay away from big heavy wood burning, high dollar triple wall flue having heaters.
61 F250 Unibody
5.9 Ford Diesel / Allison
Disk brake straight axle
slick4x4
United States of America

Post by slick4x4 »

These are good heaters... Need no electricity ... Have a thermostat
In a garage, mount at eye level... Not down low on floor
A 100 pound bottle outside with a regulator
Then just run a 3/8 copper pipe thru the wall
Does not need vent.. Has a shutoff if not enough oxygen
https://www.walmart.com/ip/KozyWorld-3- ... 3=&veh=sem
[b]'' I think what scares me the most about you guys is that I understand you '' ..... KID
'' lookin good, a little paint adds at least 100hp!'' ....... COOTER
'' well an old guy can dream cant he? ''............ICEMAN
''I would donate organs before selling my slick''........ HOOFBEAT RACER
bruceandersson

Post by bruceandersson »

Be careful of anything kerosene based as they will usually spew a little oil around that will foul your paint. Propane and natural gas are clean. I have a propane torpedo heater that heats real fast. The top of the tank ones don't need electric and are probably the simplest approach.
Jerry D
United States of America

Post by Jerry D »

I use one like in the link below. While I'm a fan of the type Steve listed (I use a smaller version for ice fishing), the one I use can be directed at something that needs to be warmed/thawed fast. Only downside is needing an extension cord to run it.

http://www.menards.com/main/heating-coo ... 4336398729

Jerry
tomrooster
United States of America

Post by tomrooster »

My choice would be what bruceandersson said , propane torpedo at least 85,000 BTU, instant heat, . Tom

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Dyna-Glo-Pro ... lsrc=aw.ds
1966 F250 Camper Special parts truck
1966 F 100 w/391 ft
1965 F 100 project
1958 Edsel Pacer Convertible
1953 ford Customline 2 door
1952 8N
1967 triumph Bonneville

I'm still not a good welder but I've become a good grinder
unibody madness
United States of America

just remember...all open source heaters are not safe with fumes... a small pellet stove can be efficient, cheap and blow warm air from outside without all the venting.
Turk build thread at:

tomrooster
United States of America

Post by tomrooster »

unibody madness a small pellet stove would probably work ok in California but here in NJ in a uninsulated garage it won't cut it. She won't be able to paint with it on but to get the garage up to temperature to do body work and paint prep it would be ok . It's very moveable when she moves , don't cost a arm and a leg to buy , no installation costs . She really don't have to many options. Tom
1966 F250 Camper Special parts truck
1966 F 100 w/391 ft
1965 F 100 project
1958 Edsel Pacer Convertible
1953 ford Customline 2 door
1952 8N
1967 triumph Bonneville

I'm still not a good welder but I've become a good grinder
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

i can't put a pellet stove or wood stove here. I would have to change insurance and my homeowner wouldn't want to right now anyway. So i am looking either propane to get the chill out, or electric. I actually using a small buddy heater for now- i will look for a torpedo heater on craigslist. Something to turn on, get the chill out and then turn off and stow. I am going to paint this weekend while it is 70 degrees. More then likely in the dead of winter I will need to do something about some panels when i need to paint more. I am not staying past July here :(
The months may change, but I am always APRIL
'63 F100 Custom Cab 223inline 6, 3speed manual- mostly stock
https://www.youtube.com/coastiereid
Truck has been home in CA,OR,WA,NJ,VA since it's birth in San Jose Jan63
unibody madness
United States of America

Where you being re-assigned did you get your preference?
Turk build thread at: