After 4 seasons off, a "new" race car!

A place for discussion of off topic subjects. Pretty much anything goes - just keep it civil, please!

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

LM14
United States of America

After 4 seasons off, a "new" race car!

Post by LM14 »

Back in 2012 we sold everything except tools from our racing days. We ran stock cars, IMCA type modifieds and dirt late models for 25 years (always Ford powered). I retired from work in 2012 and my racing partner decided he was getting too old for that crap so we sold out.

After taking 4 years off, but still hitting around 30 races a year and helping a few people, I just couldn't pass up the opportunity to get another race car. Picked this up this evening.

Been sitting for at least 35 years. Last new engine was (we think) a 1972 Honda 250 and it was parked when that engine blew up somewhere in the 70's. Changed hands a few times with nobody doing anything. The guy I bought it off of has had it for 5 years and the guy he got it off of got it around 1980 (according to the seller). Before that nothing is known.

It's a micro midget, looks home built. Back bumper is on upside down for some reason, front is in the interior. Cage has been "modified" (probably to meet a rule change). Whole car is completely gas welded! Does have a rear disc brake on a nice pillow block mounted axle with adjustable hubs, aftermarket front axle, spring, hubs and hairpins. It has a lot of (for the time) high dollar "factory" type micro midget parts on it. It's complete except the exhaust. Fairly rough but very restorable. Lots of tubes have been partially welded in (poorly) and the aluminum work that is there is rough. Fiberglass body is repairable and not all that bad for the age. Something else to do. Pics from the trip home tonight. For reference on size, that trailer deck is 54" wide and 8' long, pretty well filled it up.

Was just telling Gary (Truckrat) I had been looking for one for years. Stumbled across this one last night and ran down and got it today.

It's all Gary's fault!
SPark
1932 Ford 5 window coupe. 302/C4
1962 8V-390/C6 Unibody Short Bed Soon to be Big Window - The Lincoln that never was
2013 F150 Super Crew Eco Boost 4x4
2015 Ford Edge for the little lady, because she said so!
2007 Mustang GT, 4.6-3V/5 Speed. Only 8680 miles on the clock.

More toys, I need more toys!!!
shipwrecked
United States of America

Re: After 4 seasons off, a "new" race car!

Post by shipwrecked »

:mrgreen: trouble!
The months may change, but I am always APRIL
'63 F100 Custom Cab 223inline 6, 3speed manual- mostly stock
https://www.youtube.com/coastiereid
Truck has been home in CA,OR,WA,NJ,VA since it's birth in San Jose Jan63
foodstick

Post by foodstick »

I really wondered how long you could go without some sort of dirt track car ! hahahahaha
jamesdfo
Canada

Post by jamesdfo »

Steve: That's a cool little car!

So, what kind of Honda 250 engine is it? CB/CL/SL/XL ?

Is there somewhere local you can run it?

Are you going to plug in another of the same engine, or "Update" it with something more modern?:)

James
FarmMotorSports
United States of America

Post by FarmMotorSports »

I have a 440 Kawasaki 2 stroke triple collecting dust. But who runs bean burners now days...
61 F250 Unibody
5.9 Ford Diesel / Allison
Disk brake straight axle
jamesdfo
Canada

Post by jamesdfo »

mmmmmm..........nothing better than the smell of a two stroke burning Catrol R :):)

FarmMotorSports wrote:I have a 440 Kawasaki 2 stroke triple collecting dust. But who runs bean burners now days...