P71 Crown Vic values?

A place for discussion of off topic subjects. Pretty much anything goes - just keep it civil, please!

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

orangeRcode
United States of America

P71 Crown Vic values?

Post by orangeRcode »

Went looking on CL on both local and DFW/Houston areas for a donor car. Apparently, everyone now thinks these cars are worth a mint. I bought one about 2 years ago (2005 w/120k miles) for $900 and fixed a few small things and drove it for about 6 months before I sold for $1300. All the ones I'm seeing now are $4500-$6000. These are not pristine cars with low mileage either. There was a retired taxi (that I'm sure had been a cop car prior to taxi duty) with 300k miles and they still wanted $3k. I want some of what they are smokin'. LOL

I figured I would have to do some looking to find a decent deal on one but the prices they are listed for now are insane. Guess I will have to hit up a local auction and see if I can score one that is more reasonable. Anyone else notice this?
unibody madness
United States of America

Re: P71 Crown Vic values?

Post by unibody madness »

Thank You Richard Rawlins
Turk build thread at:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=18944

It does not matter what you think, it only matters what you do about it!
orangeRcode
United States of America

Post by orangeRcode »

unibody madness wrote:Thank You Richard Rawlins
Now everyone thinks their vehicle is a hidden gem and there's money to be made on them. I'm not against someone making a buck but list prices seem to be completely out of sight. :bs:
RustNdust65
United States of America

Post by RustNdust65 »

Agreed. It took me a very long and patient 7 months to find a CV front end that wasn't $600. I lucked out and found a farmers kid in BFE Missouri parting out his CV and had no idea what I was talking about. The prices around here (st. Louis) are pretty ridiculous too. To had insult to injury a few of the ads even stated " Great for an early Ford F series swap" Hope you find one!
longcabjohn
United States of America

Post by longcabjohn »

Check out govdeals.com there is a lot on there
If restoring a ford was easy, chevy guys could do it.
foodstick

Post by foodstick »

Yeah, that is a bummer if its now the new Mustang 2 front end.... I suppose it was bound to happen...

I really don't watch any of the shows that drive vehicle, slash collectibles up.. But it sure sounds like it is happening at a faster rate.

I keep wondering how many people in a decade or two will even want to build any car or truck.

I had to look up Richard Rawlins, never heard of him ! hahahahha

I quit watchin broadcast tv years ago.. If I don't find it interesting online..I ain't seen it ;)
bruceandersson

Post by bruceandersson »

Check out local government auctions if you have the time. Most retired police cars are sold via the auction route. Also asking price does not necessarily = selling price. A lot of people go by the adage that you can always go down but not up on pricing. So they shoot for the moon and take what they can get.
orangeRcode
United States of America

Post by orangeRcode »

orangeRcode
United States of America

Post by orangeRcode »

bruceandersson wrote:Check out local government auctions if you have the time. Most retired police cars are sold via the auction route. Also asking price does not necessarily = selling price. A lot of people go by the adage that you can always go down but not up on pricing. So they shoot for the moon and take what they can get.
I work for a large utility company and we sell our trucks at a local auction about quarterly. I went to one a couple of years ago and found that the city of OKC also sold their retired/wrecked cop cars there. Cab companies came and bought up big portions of them but once a price was set, they sold all the runners at that price. Could get the wrecked ones/non runners even cheaper. I need to drag a trailer down there to the next one and see what I can come up with. Unfortunately, with the demise of the CVPI these sources will start to dry up.

While I would prefer a PI car, a regular CV would work and sometimes you can get lucky and find one that grandma or grandpa drove and was parked when they stopped driving or passed away. I've heard of several guys scoring cars like these for next to nothing. The search is part of the fun!
orangeRcode
United States of America

Post by orangeRcode »

Just found a 2006 CVPI that was non running, AC didn't work and fuel pump was out. They wanted $1350 for it! These have gone stupid priced. There is a dakil auction coming up in April and I may have to check it out if OKC PD has some of their cars in it.
longcabjohn
United States of America

Post by longcabjohn »

Brokenarrow, OK has about half a dozen on govdeals.com now. Don't know how close this is to you.

Johnny
If restoring a ford was easy, chevy guys could do it.
orangeRcode
United States of America

Post by orangeRcode »

longcabjohn wrote:Brokenarrow, OK has about half a dozen on govdeals.com now. Don't know how close this is to you.

Johnny
BA is in the Tulsa area just up the turnpike from me. I actually bought my Slick north of Tulsa. Thanks for the heads up. Never looked on there. :rocker: