Auto trailer advise

A place for discussion of off topic subjects. Pretty much anything goes - just keep it civil, please!

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

shipwrecked
United States of America

Auto trailer advise

Post by shipwrecked »

Looking into purchasing a flat bed trailer to haul my truck on. Costs between 2900-3600.

Wood deck is cheaper. Same axles, same winch plate up on the tongue. Same ramps. Metal deck is 3200.0

I asked for a loan thru USAA at 3k and I would pay rest out of pocket.

Just curious if you got a preference. I was thinking if I bought the wood deck, I could always put metal deck down on it in future.

This is to be used to move my slick (and motorcycle) to VA and anywhere else I may end up in future. Renting a U-haul car trailer would cost 1k for the trip...
The months may change, but I am always APRIL
'63 F100 Custom Cab 223inline 6, 3speed manual- mostly stock
https://www.youtube.com/coastiereid
Truck has been home in CA,OR,WA,NJ,VA since it's birth in San Jose Jan63
orangeRcode
United States of America

Re: Auto trailer advise

Post by orangeRcode »

I've known guys who have run the wood deck for years without any issues. Unless your heart is set on a new one, you could save a bit of $ by getting a used one. You can find lightly used wood trailers around here (less than a couple of years old wood decked) for $1600-$1800. There are a lot of trailer mfgs here in the OK and Texas areas which may have some effect on the price though.
6166 Junkyard Dog
United States of America

Post by 6166 Junkyard Dog »

first I would buy a 20' trailer,,, 2 5/16 ball, be sure to get a spare tire/wheel, next do research to see how long building trailers,, get axles with 6 lug which is a little heavier axle,, be sure the tongue has a heavy channel, as well as heavy cross members,, also look at how the tie downs, me personally want under the trailer supports a C-channel down the sides so we can strap things down on deck in various places unlike some have seen with a closed channel with no way to tie down any thing else off the sides,, at least with wood you can replace the wood if ever fails not like steel that requires more work
Tom,
@
Lazy FORD Ranch
Where Ford Trucks Rest in Peace

Dakota,,, RIP will never be the same looking for 61-66 trucks again ,, :cry: Kathy :cry:
Slickstock,,, York, PA
Slickstock,,, Kansas City, MO
Slickstock,,, Altoona, IOWA
Slickstock,,, Salina, KS

Now Cooper will try his best :lol: :lol:

Cooper now has 2018 Slick Stock,, give him a fair star :lol:
Slickstock Kansas City, Mo
jamesdfo
Canada

Post by jamesdfo »

A fellow on another forum posted link to this outfit, no personal experience, and never stood in front of one of their trailers, but some of the pricing seems decent??

http://www.sltrailers.com/
bobenhotep
United States of America

Post by bobenhotep »

I moved from Georgia to New Mexico with a Big Tex trailer rated 7k gross, trailer weighs 2k. It pulls really well with my Nissan Titan. I paid about 2 grand for it in 2011, and still use it. Unless you move somewhere really dry (like here) the wood deck should be good. The good thing about getting a used one would be that you could probably re sell it for what you paid for it, but you might want to hold onto it if you are going to retire in the next few years. I don't have an equalizer or any anti sway on mine, just brakes and a brake controller.

Dan
For every person with a spark of genius, there are a hundred with ignition trouble

My '63 short wrongbed

"The Iron Rhino"
300 I6, 3 spd manual, DS II/ HEI ignition.

Stuff I added to Hints and tricks

-300-6 choke tube repair
-duraspark II/ HEI
-Horn ring contact tube repair
-turn signal indicator fix

Mikhail Kalashnikov and Nikola Tesla are the guys i think of when i build things.

slick4x4
United States of America

Post by slick4x4 »

Nothing wrong with wood
If you give it a little maintenance , it will last a LONG time
Like Tom said ... much easier to repair if it ever needs it
[b]'' I think what scares me the most about you guys is that I understand you '' ..... KID
'' lookin good, a little paint adds at least 100hp!'' ....... COOTER
'' well an old guy can dream cant he? ''............ICEMAN
''I would donate organs before selling my slick''........ HOOFBEAT RACER
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

Found a hidden trailer yard here in south jersey this afternoon and went to take a look.

Got a quote for $2985 for a 20' steal deck trailer. (Sticker on the trailer was like 3200)
Has a winch plate (the 18' didn't have it). And it has electric brakes. The ramps are slid in from the driver side into a storage rack.

Hunter's 64
United States of America

Post by Hunter's 64 »

i have a wood deck on my hauler , the wood has helped when hauling other cargo ... being able to drive nails into deck helps hauling certain items :2cents:

Danny
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

It's just a personal preference, but I like ramps which do not stow from the side. Invariably, I would either have obstacles in the way of getting them out and back in, or I'd be fighting moving traffic to access them. My next open hauler will have ramps which stack and stow at the front above the winch line, and double as a stone guard for the cargo. This also allows them to have a full 7' length, handy for some low vehicles.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
bobenhotep
United States of America

Post by bobenhotep »

I nail chocks into the deck on mine from time to time. Never had a problem getting to my ramps, but I could see a lot of utility in having 7' ramps, for sure.

Dan
For every person with a spark of genius, there are a hundred with ignition trouble

My '63 short wrongbed

"The Iron Rhino"
300 I6, 3 spd manual, DS II/ HEI ignition.

Stuff I added to Hints and tricks

-300-6 choke tube repair
-duraspark II/ HEI
-Horn ring contact tube repair
-turn signal indicator fix

Mikhail Kalashnikov and Nikola Tesla are the guys i think of when i build things.

bruceandersson

Post by bruceandersson »

The trailer you found looks good. Make sure the tires are good. Boat trailers uoften really skimp on the tires, which need to be replaced quickly. I would recommend the electric brakes and the controller on your truck. You'll want to make sure you protect the paint on the front of your truck when it is one the trailer as stones often get kicked up from the rear tires. If you put a winch on the trailer, you probably will want a separate battery to run it.
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

My F150 has the electric break controller already.

If I pick this one up, I will need to install a few tie down positions. There are c channels all along the side. If I can find side tire straps that would be helpful. I intend to put a winch on it, and better back up lights.

Didn't think about the front paint on the F100 when towing. I'm sure I can find that cling wrap stuff to lay on the body.

I was going to go look at the wood deck one, butfor the same price it's only a 18' trailer. Th 20' has a 2' dovetail at the rear.
bruceandersson

Post by bruceandersson »

The paint note was learned from experience with a tow bar, sure made a mess of the front of my sisters '54 F100 coming across the country. I am guessing trailers might have some of the same issues.

Check out the prices on this site: http://www.sltrailers.com/M_T_Tilt_Trailers.html Looks like they are in western Iowa, too bad there's no one on this site from that area.... Their prices rock, did not see anything about delivery.
LM14
United States of America

Post by LM14 »

I like torsion axles better than springs.

I like aluminum wheels more than steel wheels.

Dovetail is a must.

LED lights are a must. So much brighter and safer.

My ramps store in from the passenger side. Be aware of your surroundings and you will do fine. Think before you park/load.

I use a 2-5/8" ball on all my trailers.

Get a quality jack. A junk jack will piss you off in a heartbeat.

I've had steel deck and wood deck. Really didn't notice much difference. Either is easy to add "D-Rings" to for more tie down points if needed.

My current trailer has tie down rails down both sides and it works pretty well. My first trailer only had d-rings in the deck and it was a pain. My enclosed trailer had E-Track tie downs running it's full length, that spoils you. It's easy to add if you want it to tie down other stuff. Just screws to the deck.

I have an adjustable height hitch on my current trailer and once it's set and you have the correct drop hitch on your truck it never gets moved. Don't waste money on an adjustable hitch, but a solid welded hitch and get the correct drop hitch and be done with it.

I have removable fenders on my current trailer. I've never had them off since 2013 when we bought it. I did have one vibrate loose and it cost me $150 to replace it. Don't spend the money for removable fenders.

I put a piece of sheet plastic on the deck where my winch cable runs. Saves the deck from getting groves cut in it.

Tool boxes for tiedowns are really nice. My right tool box has the winch, battery and some tools in it. Left tool box has all the tiedowns and a trailer jack.

Spare tire is a must and we always get their factory mount to carry it.

SPark
1932 Ford 5 window coupe. 302/C4
1962 8V-390/C6 Unibody Short Bed Soon to be Big Window - The Lincoln that never was
2013 F150 Super Crew Eco Boost 4x4
2015 Ford Edge for the little lady, because she said so!
2007 Mustang GT, 4.6-3V/5 Speed. Only 8680 miles on the clock.

More toys, I need more toys!!!
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

Next hassle would be where to stow this trailer when it's not in use. I guess the base I'm moving to doesn't have a back 40 lot like all the other bases I've been to. I'll figure it out.
LM14
United States of America

Post by LM14 »

Did you get one bought yet? The suspense is killing me!

SPark
1962 8V-390/C6 Unibody Short Bed Soon to be Big Window - The Lincoln that never was

shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

Gotta go tomorrow after work. I have to get a permit tomorrow morning
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

It's back there.

LM14
United States of America

Post by LM14 »

Congrats! Welcome to being everyone with a problem vehicles best friend!

SPark

oldsmiley
United States of America

Post by oldsmiley »

I've got a wood deck. It's very useful when you need to chock something. You can just nail a 2X6 in place and remove it later. The treated floor lasts for years, unless you do like the guys who buy a wood deck CAR trailer and then try to hauls HEAVY EQUIPMENT on them. It's like buying a lawn trailer (because it's cheaper) THEN hauling cars on them.......NOT a good idea.