It is currently January 18, 2018, 4:51 pm.

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Wood fired garage heat
PostPosted: January 13, 2018, 7:15 pm 

National Flag: Canada
I need a bit of advice. I'm building a wood fired stove for the garage. It's going to be outside, and the heat pumped into the garage through 4" pipe. I have pictures but essentially I'm makeing a 16" stove inside of an insulated 20" pipe. 2 feet long, the stove will sit horizontal.

My question is, would it be best to come straight up at the back of the stove for the chimney or out the end and make an elbow outside of the stove.

I don't really know about how the drafting inside the stove works.

Nic

PostPosted: January 13, 2018, 8:28 pm 

Nic: No answers for you on the technical end, but I would check with your insurance company, because when I bought my house, it had a wood pellet stove in the basement (fully finished), and the insurance Co I had been using for YEARS wanted no part of it......so I ended up moving ALL my business somewhere else. But better to know where you stand going in, than have them refuse to pay out a claim because they were not aware you had a wood stove......

James

Profile Personal album  
PostPosted: January 13, 2018, 9:02 pm 

I don't think they would ever approve it because the stove is home made. I figured outside is the safest place for it. Makes for more room in the shop too.

Nic

PostPosted: January 13, 2018, 10:51 pm 

A buddy of mine tipped me off to this concept a good 15 years ago. Europe has been doing this for decades. I cannot remember which country, I think it is Norway, made it law to have the fire shed separate from your house so that you do not burn the joint down. One hell of an idea. If the stove is isolated from the garage I would think it would not affect your insurance. Google Europe for the future lol!

[color=#0040FF]Chevrolet: Condition hopeless entire vehicle runs on leftover engine technology

PostPosted: January 14, 2018, 3:05 am 

National Flag: United States of America
I would come out of the top of the stove...
You can pu in a damper in the pipe for control
I have seen them running outhe back ...
Bu sometimes that style can smoke
When you open the door......
Also the elbow is just a place for ash to build up

'' I think what scares me the most about you guys is that I understand you '' ..... KID
'' lookin good, a little paint adds at least 100hp!'' ....... COOTER
'' well an old guy can dream cant he? ''............ICEMAN
''I would donate organs before selling my slick''........ HOOFBEAT RACER

Profile Personal album  
PostPosted: January 15, 2018, 3:49 pm 

So are you just trying to draw warm air from the 20" pipe? As in the 4" pipe will just deliver warm air and you'll have a separate chimney exhausting directly outside? Is the 16" concentric inside the 20"?

My dad built a wood stove for his ice fishing shack out of a 20 lb propane tank (mounted horizontally), but a big part of why that works so well is that it's right inside the shack so you're getting radiant heat from the firebox itself and the chimney (which is on top of the cylinder, btw). Plus it's a small space. I'm not sure how well forced air would work if it has to travel a distance to the garage.

Might want to check your local bylaws too, if you haven't already. Assuming you're surrounded by city dwellers who might complain about the smoke, that is.

Canadian-Built Ford & Mercury Truck Data: VIN Decoding

Profile Personal album  
PostPosted: January 15, 2018, 6:41 pm 

Here is pictures of what I have so far. It's going to sit horizontal. The first picture shows a 30# propane tank inside. I was originally going to use that, but it looked too small.

I think I'm going to take the advice above and come right out the top with the chimney.

The air in and out is going to be in on the bottom front and out back top near chimney.

My yard layout will allow me to put it pretty close to the garage. With a straight run for the ducts. I made the front and back plate oversized so I can use them to hold the cladding and then I can insulate the outside.

Nic