Really do not care for new site layout

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

stronger66ratfink

Really do not care for new site layout

Post by stronger66ratfink »

It,s difficult and if I have problems then how many others do you suppose are just giving up!
Some times you techs do not know when to leave well enough allow!
Example: it's not broser friendly like it use to be

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Miss Daisy 1966 F100 short bed custom cab 2004-2014
78' F250 XLT Ranger
13' CVO Road King
Bill W

Re: Really do not care for new site layout

Post by Bill W »

i have to say i was not impressed with the layout also.... but with a little time spent trying to figure out how it all works it's growing on me.

i would hope that the other people who are not that impressed with it will give it a chance and if your having issues will just ask for help.
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Hey Mike, the only thing I find a little weird around here is the monster-sized text, but hey we are all getting a little older and I don't see many complaints about that. Chat is back, you just get in and can't get out, that's like Bizarro chat because it used to boot you 15 times a night on its own. :clap:
Other than that. all is well. I f someone was to set the board to have previews on youtube videos, we would be well into the 21'st century. This reminds me of when Willy was gonna hang on like a pirate to the old Yahoo board.
Kiss it goodbye. Roll with the punches of progress my friend.
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
kstones63
United States of America

Post by kstones63 »

I agree with JC, the monster size text is a little overwhelming but I am liking it more and more because my eyes aren't as good as they used to be.
It is different than it was before but I am liking it more as I go along. We are all creatures of habit and don't like change but I think that it will be better in the long run. :)

Kevin
kstones63
95 F350 Flatbed Dually Diesel
6166 Junkyard Dog
United States of America

Post by 6166 Junkyard Dog »

Hey JC,, I would like to know if they think its bad here, then they just don't remember the old MSN days :lol: :lol: :lol:,, I have had no problems, just trying to get the hang of loading pics in my album,, I like the clock keeps me in check with my slick stock clock on the wall
Tom,
@
Lazy FORD Ranch
Where Ford Trucks Rest in Peace

Dakota,,, RIP will never be the same looking for 61-66 trucks again ,, :cry: Kathy :cry:
Slickstock,,, York, PA
Slickstock,,, Kansas City, MO
Slickstock,,, Altoona, IOWA
Slickstock,,, Salina, KS

Now Cooper will try his best :lol: :lol:

Cooper now has 2018 Slick Stock,, give him a fair star :lol:
Slickstock Kansas City, Mo
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

MSN?
what about yahoo or for those who were there on the original (excite)

every change for slick 60s (and there have not been many) are like a new ride with some bugs and the switches and buttons are in new places

this works great on my 12 year old puter running linux with firefox.

i probably am the least tech oriented modern person in here:
use points ignition , drum brakes, newest ride is 30 years old , i only buy stuff with cash and use a phone that you can only talk on.

dont care for many changes but this i can deal with.
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
mosquito13
Norway

Post by mosquito13 »

have never experenced the old site :o s , this is a pretty standard forum format :arrow: . that said why do think a lot of forums use this set up :?: :?: :?: hate the little smilly faces :cussing: :argue: :argue: :bs: , use of them should be punished quickly and severly :boxing: . stupid and not truck ...
a spell check would be great.
Hot Rod Rock every Tuesday 3-5pm Eastern on http://www.wslr.org
63 f100, 64 dodge polara, 74 john player norton, lots of rd 350's & 400's,
1977 kz650 (it's a sickness...)
stronger66ratfink

Post by stronger66ratfink »

morning, well since the change I've been at home using my IPad in the garage
but now coming into the office the format is not that much different from the old
so it is more likely a issue with the way it comes thru on the ipads so
I might retract my dis-like comment and start working with what we got and just
say thanks for keeping us all connected

never be vain to say... oops.. never mind :oops:
Miss Daisy 1966 F100 short bed custom cab 2004-2014
78' F250 XLT Ranger
13' CVO Road King
Rusted64
United States of America

Post by Rusted64 »

stronger66ratfink wrote:It,s difficult and if I have problems then how many others do you suppose are just giving up!

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

Hey Mike,

I think it is because of the iPad. I use one to get on the site too, and it is horrible. They have it forced into a mobile format and it just isnt user friendly.

I am going to post a topic asking if there is a way to use the full site.
1964 F100, 292ci

1963 Buick Wildcat, 401ci

They just don't make them like they used to.
BigMike
United States of America

Post by BigMike »

I haven't looked at it on the iPad yet but will give it a shot today. Apple, like everything else they do, is sort of out in left field so I don't expect good things when I'm on that platform. I'm a professional technologist and pretty much consider Apple products Play Skool computers. :lol:

Every other forum (about 8) that I'm on uses V-Bulletin (which seems to be the standard) and this version gets closer to that format which I like. Overall I have nothing bad to say about the new version and I really like it. Good job!
1965 F250 352 4spd/Dana 4.10 (sold)
1991 Porsche 964 Cabriolet
2006 Cheby Silverado
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee - yeah, it's a HEMI
JimDog
United States of America

Post by JimDog »

stronger66ratfink wrote:It,s difficult and if I have problems then how many others do you suppose are just giving up!

I knew going into the upgrade that there would be some changes, and that there would be resistance. Hell - this is a bunch of guys (and gals) who drive around in 50 year old pickups, for God's sake! These are guys who find something they like, then stick with it. I understand that - I really do.

The fact of the matter is that the software really NEEDED to be upgraded. The old software was six years old. That is really ancient in terms of software - especially internet software. From a security standpoint - and to stay ahead of spammers - the software really needed to be upgraded.

It seems that it is a common misconception that spam is generated by some dude in his mom's basement, logging into forums and posting stuff. That is NOT the case at all. 99.999% of spam is generated by bots - computer programs whose sole purpose is to get through security and post spam. They use brute force - just repetitively trying different things. And these bots run 7/24/365. A lot of it comes from Eastern Europe and Asia. I think we've done a good job at controlling spam. Occasionally it gets in, but when it does it is quickly removed. But it has required patches and bandaids - and we are at the point where what was really needed was a frame-off restoration.

The nice thing about the software is that it is totally customizable. So if there are specific changes that you would like to see - please - let me know. All I ask as that you provide me with as much information as possible. I often am unclear as to exactly what the problem is. I would rather have too much info than not enough.

To assist - here is a link to the old software. Please note - I have made all the forums read-only on the old software, so you can't post. And don't add photos to albums or send private messages - any of that stuff will be lost forever. But you can go, log in, and see how things were under the old software. Take notes about what you liked about it - what you miss - how it is different. Again, PLEASE BE SPECIFIC. If you know how to do screen shots and draw arrows and labels and such - that would even be better.

The other think that would be helpful is if you can report each issue under a different post - that just helps me keep things organized.
A clear conscience is the sign of a bad memory.
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

JimDog wrote:It seems that it is a common misconception that spam is generated by some dude in his mom's basement, logging into forums and posting stuff. That is NOT the case at all. 99.999% of spam is generated by bots - computer programs whose sole purpose is to get through security and post spam. They use brute force - just repetitively trying different things. And these bots run 7/24/365. A lot of it comes from Eastern Europe and Asia. I think we've done a good job at controlling spam. Occasionally it gets in, but when it does it is quickly removed. But it has required patches and bandaids - and we are at the point where what was really needed was a frame-off restoration.

you have done an excellent job keeping the spammers/scammers out

there are no irritating pop-ups or annoying ads on the site nor pleas for cash

those aspects alone make this site outstanding

the fact that you are able to donate your time and space freely are very honorable

nobody has 50 year old tires or a 50 year old battery , and those items are not the same as they were 50 years ago.

you can please some of the people most of the time and most of the people some of the time but never all of the people all of the time.

my opinion-
everyone here should be happy that this site exists at all , enjoy it for what it is and quit bellyaching about minor inconveniences like it does not look good on a 4 inch screen.
years ago you had to think for yourself or look thru books to find help with stuff. here you can ask a question and have several responses and a solution within minutes or hours.
if theres something wrong with that i must be missing it.
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
MadMaxetc
United States of America

Post by MadMaxetc »

Jim,
This site is way better than previous versions. Don't worry to much about those of us that gripe a little, it is just what we do. A lot of times it comes across as complaining, but realy what a lot of guys are doing is just making there voices heard. It has happened ever since we started up. Yahoo, MSN, Previous BB site, and now this update.

It's all good buddy. :burp:

:2cents:
Dan
Project: '63 F-100 LWB / 460 / C6 / 2x4
My Build Thread
Rusty 63
United States of America

Post by Rusty 63 »

It's definitely the mobile setup that's tough. On the laptop it looks fine, but hey it's a 17" screen vs the 3" on this phone...

I've got to say the link to the old version was VERY easy to read on the droid...

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Rusted64
United States of America

Post by Rusted64 »

Yeah, I think it is the mobile version also.

On my laptop, it looks great, but on my iPad, it defaults to the mobile version, and that is not easy to use.
1964 F100, 292ci

1963 Buick Wildcat, 401ci

They just don't make them like they used to.