Jag front end

Got a helpful tip or trick related to your slick? Please share...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

merc uni

Jag front end

Post by merc uni »

Recently finnished the XJ6 front end swap as seen in Matt2491' s detailed how-to in hints and tricks . Thanks Matt for taking the time to do this. You gave me the courage to tackle this project . I did a tape measure alignment and drove it for a week. Unreal improvement. Took it in today for alignment at a shop familiar with Jags. He said it was close and tweaked it up. I can now drive the freeway and hammer the brakes without wondering which lane I would end up in. I would recommend this swap to anyone .Cheap,wheels fit well into the fenders and not all that difficult to do.
matt2491

Post by matt2491 »

Hey Merc Uni!

I'm so glad you finished the swap and am enjoying it! Now I have a question for YOU :lol: : What did you do about the power steering? Did you rig up the Jag pump or do something else?

Congratulations. Its a great swap. Cheers-

Matt

PS: Got any pics? :wink:
Just driving my truck.
merc uni

Post by merc uni »

Hi Matt; I'll try to get som pics going in the next couple of days. I used the Jag pump because I had it ,and I knew that it worked. Not sure if you know about Y blocks and power steering pumps.If you do, forgive my long-windedness,but the info may be useful to someone else. Yblocks use an additional bolt- on pulley on the crank dampner to drive the pump.These came only on cars and a very few F100's with power steering.Not sure about the larger F series;maybe for accessories. These pulleys show up on Evilbay all the time; local T bird restorers also may have one kicking around. The front of Yblocks are quite unfriendly for bracket building.Not a lot of bolts or holes to use. The factory set up uses a special bolt that threads into a wet hole in the water pump. I made a bolt to fit and built a bracket around it,as I didn't have the Ford bracket You can sometimes find a complete Y block pump/ bracket set-up, but I am unsure of the pressure they put out and what is required by the Jag rack. Building a bracket wasn't that big a deal and using the Jag pump just gave me one less thing to possibly have to re-do. Power steering is good.
deflaytedwayz

Re: Jag front end

Post by deflaytedwayz »

Good to know!
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

there is a 1 piece factory dual crank pulley for the y blocks. mostly found on the bigger trucks but the one i have came off a 61 f100 4x4,( might not have been the original engine in that truck). if you happen across one in a salvage yard be sure to get the bolt too as its longer than the single pulley bolt.
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
Angry

Post by Angry »

merc uni wrote:Recently finnished the XJ6 front end swap as seen in Matt2491' s detailed how-to in hints and tricks . Thanks Matt for taking the time to do this. You gave me the courage to tackle this project . I did a tape measure alignment and drove it for a week. Unreal improvement. Took it in today for alignment at a shop familiar with Jags. He said it was close and tweaked it up. I can now drive the freeway and hammer the brakes without wondering which lane I would end up in. I would recommend this swap to anyone .Cheap,wheels fit well into the fenders and not all that difficult to do.
Im very keen to add a XJ6 Jag front end to my 64swb...
I cant find the article your talking about.
Alan.
jamesdfo
Canada

Post by jamesdfo »

Here ya go.......

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=21313

James
Angry

Post by Angry »

Ta
jamesdfo wrote:Here ya go.......

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=21313

James
Thanks,,I did read that n we used it a s a guide to fit my XJ6 front end onto my 64...
orangeRcode
United States of America

Post by orangeRcode »

What years are good for the swap? How much do the front ends run?
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

OrangeRcode....did anyone answer your question on the front ends? I am picking one up Friday for $300. I've spent an extra $149 for 2 Borgeson couplings for the steering and probably another $45 for 1" wheel spacers that will convert the bolt pattern from 5x4.75 to 5x5.5. I just bought 4 new wheels from Summit and didn't want to have to purchase 2 more wheels. There was a local junkyard advertising the complete IFS for $160 if I removed it myself. I don't have the time, tools, strength, etc to go that route. I willing spent another $140 to be able to pick up a 'ready to go' unit. Hope that this helps.
1964 F-100