Door Anti-Rattler and Vent Rubber Restoration

Got a helpful tip or trick related to your slick? Please share...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Von Dud

Door Anti-Rattler and Vent Rubber Restoration

Post by Von Dud »

Just completed restoring both doors on my 66 F100.

The gents at http://www.Dennis-Carpenter.com published a 2 page how-to in their recent 57-66 catalog (2008 version with red Slick on the cover). though i found this helpful, and hope you will too, there are a few parts of the process i'd like to point out and amend.

Page 1 - property of Dennis Carpenter:

Suggested edit to Step 7: make sure your vent window is in the closed position after removing the footer screws in Step 6. There is a cam shaped 'stop' on the bottom pivot point of the vent window. If the window is closed, you should be able to extract the window without damaging paint and/or springing the sheet metal gap below the window. A closed vent window minimizes the cam's dimension for extraction.

Page 2 - property of Dennis Carpenter:

Suggested edit related to Steps 11 and 16: I suggest loosely attaching the vent window assembly (with it's rubber in place) during Step 11. Wait to pull the rubber cord until Step 17. If the division bar remains loosely attached, prior to installation of the vent assembly (Step 16) - you are liable to scratch paint with the tabs on the leading edge of the vent window frame. The twist and insert process for the vent assembly gets pretty tricky with the division bar in place.

You just went through all that trouble, no sense in scratching things up along the way. Good luck!

If you're working through this project, now would be a good time to get that Dynamat in your doors. What. A. Difference.
[/code]
66 F100 longbed, 240cid all in a line, rowing thru 3-on-the-tree
Alan Mclennan
Australia

Post by Alan Mclennan »

Nice post vondud!, I particularly like tip #10 how simple is that!
Honey, If I say I`ll fix something I will, there`s no need to remind me every 6 months!!
66 f100 tabletop swb 351 Clevo C6 "Beryl"

Slick Stock 3 KCMO
Slick Stock 4 Altoona
Slick Stock 5 KCMO
Slick Stock 6 Altoona
Slick Stock 7 Salina KS
Slick Stock 8.............................. cry.gif
Effie

Post by Effie »

Since there is already a thread on this and DC has their write up, I just wanted to add my album of pics as I removed my door guts last week.

All pics with captions are here: http://www.supermotors.net/registry/17895/69956
~/\/\elissa~
Image '66 F100 -- Little Black
Image '78 Bronco -- Brutus

DanH
United States of America

Door window anti-rattler installation

Post by DanH »

I just installed the "super kit" from Dennis Carpenter this weekend. Their two page step by step misses quite a few steps. Like you have to drill out the rivets/brads on the division bars and reuse all the brackets. They should tell you that you'll need a brad spreader or whatever it's called. And, they should include at least a couple extra brads for when you mess them up. How much would that cost? But these little things aren't why I am posting a reply. I need someone's help regarding how to bend the straight anti-rattler stick that comes from Carpenter. You can see in the how to in the DC catalog that it says use the window as your form and bend the stick around it. Did that and when we did, the little chrome edges of the stick bent and kinked. We got it in the truck, but it looks terrible. I need some help before we start on the driver side door. Is there a trick I'm missing? Does anyone sell a prebent stick. Help!
DanH
Von Dud

Post by Von Dud »

hey Dan -
I did not find any vendors who sourced a "pre-bent stick" - all anti-rattle stock was straight, to ease shipping. When I did my doors, using the "glass in the channel" trick per above, I had one channel that went well and one channel that went 'fair'. A learning curve problem. Wish it came out better.

Think of the channel bend like you would a brake line - you are stretching and pulling the channel as it comes around the bend. You are only keeping the channel stationary at one end so that it can stretch around the corner as you pull and bend. It's an eight hands sort of job, but if you go gentle you should have good luck. If you barely begin to see a kink starting (the channel will start to flare open a bit) - slow down, regroup, and try to add another set of eight hands to the project.

Good luck!
66 F100 longbed, 240cid all in a line, rowing thru 3-on-the-tree
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

that is interesting.

i bought the set from my uni from flashback f100s and have not installed it yet but going now to look at the bar and see about the brackets.

the strip is also straight, not sure what gives on the kinking but i took an almost new set out of a parts truck and used on my 66 4x4 it was not kinked so there must be a trick? maybe stretching as you bend?
guess i will find out when i do the doors.
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

i looked at the division bars and they have the brackets on them.
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
Alan Mclennan
Australia

Post by Alan Mclennan »

Brian, look at item 10 on the DC install pages posted by Von dud !
Honey, If I say I`ll fix something I will, there`s no need to remind me every 6 months!!
66 f100 tabletop swb 351 Clevo C6 "Beryl"

Slick Stock 3 KCMO
Slick Stock 4 Altoona
Slick Stock 5 KCMO
Slick Stock 6 Altoona
Slick Stock 7 Salina KS
Slick Stock 8.............................. cry.gif
Effie

Post by Effie »

I didn't have to drill out or whatever with any brads or anything. It was all bolt in stuff. *shrug*

And yeah, there's a learning curve on forming the window run stuff. My passenger side is kinked, the driver's side is much better.
~/\/\elissa~
Image '66 F100 -- Little Black
Image '78 Bronco -- Brutus

slickmainer
United States of America

Post by slickmainer »

looks like a headache. All my window parts are completely rusted, another day another dollar- or 200
--Gregg--
you can't get there from here
ABA

Post by ABA »

I don't remember any major issues when I did mine even with the strip. I just pushed it in the door frame and it was good.

A couple of the felt strip clips don't want to stay in place. Holes may be over sized due to some rust.
'01 F150 Lightning
490RWHP
Gas Mileage? What's that?
Jerry
blackagatha

Post by blackagatha »

and to think I did that job all by myself, when I was 15..... With NO FANCY INSTRUCTIONS!

It truly is a wonder all the crap didnt wind up mangled in the dumpster!!!!

The channel on the passenger side turned out perfect, after a trial run on the driver that is not quite as beautiful, but ok....

When pulling the glass only(for welding crack on window sill), the job becomes tricky..... the division bar Really gets in the way! lol.... I didnt think it was gonna go back in.....
'63 with 390 & lots of juice. But never enough. Always want more.
ImageImageImage
macgiobuin

Post by macgiobuin »

I did both my anti-rattle installs. Makes a HUGE difference! I keep hearing OTHER noises I wasn't able to hear before. I used LMC Truck parts and had no problems. This thread was VERY helpful....thanks, again, guys!!!
My Baby: 1966 F100