frame VIN location

Got a helpful tip or trick related to your slick? Please share...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

ICEMAN6166
Poland

frame VIN location

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

pics of stampings on passenger frame rail

1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

thanks ICEMAN.... still having trouble with those rascally numbers.. :lol: :lol: .... Anthony
ABA

Post by ABA »

So if my door tag doesn't match the numbers on the rail I'm in deep do-do, correct? :o
'01 F150 Lightning
490RWHP
Gas Mileage? What's that?
Jerry
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

ABA wrote:So if my door tag doesn't match the numbers on the rail I'm in deep do-do, correct? :o

not from me , i could care less, have been frame swapping trucks for years.
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
6166 Junkyard Dog
United States of America

Post by 6166 Junkyard Dog »

One thing on Frame Vin#'s now like NC and a lot of other states they are looking for the numbers on the frame to be sure they match door tag and if not all match no title will be issued so most vehicles we buy all numbers have to match are will be turned to a parts truck and in our state they also take pictures of vehicle, vin tag and under hood as well before title issued,,, now that was like that back in March, Now in NC You can get over at DMV your tags as long as insurance is there and will get a title but then you have 1 year to take it to DMV To get it inspected so the DMV Officer can approve final deal...
Tom,
@
Lazy FORD Ranch
Where Ford Trucks Rest in Peace

Dakota,,, RIP will never be the same looking for 61-66 trucks again ,, :cry: Kathy :cry:
Slickstock,,, York, PA
Slickstock,,, Kansas City, MO
Slickstock,,, Altoona, IOWA
Slickstock,,, Salina, KS

Now Cooper will try his best :lol: :lol:

Cooper now has 2018 Slick Stock,, give him a fair star :lol:
Slickstock Kansas City, Mo
62 UNI 4x4

Post by 62 UNI 4x4 »

So if my door tag doesn't match the numbers on the rail I'm in deep do-do, correct?

Not necessarily. I just had this problem with getting an out of state Title inspected and they tried to match the Title VIN with the one on the Plate in the driver side door. Most of the time that has a statement below that VIN that says "Not for title or Registration purposes." As long as you can get the Frame VIN and it is the same one as on your title, you will be fine and get a title without any hassle. (the only hassle may be the inspector having trouble gettin under there to see the frame hahaha)
Falcon Interceptor

Post by Falcon Interceptor »

62 UNI 4x4 wrote:As long as you can get the Frame VIN and it is the same one as on your title, you will be fine and get a title without any hassle

Looking at my numbers, they're not even straight and individually hand stamped. So my thoughts is that if you must have those numbers match, why not grind the numbers down and re-stamp them? Legal, no but sounds easy.
64 f100

Post by 64 f100 »

Be very carefull doing this, might be worse than having the wrong number. Law takes a dim veiw of people forging numbers. Even ground off, the numbers can be found by other means. Not telling anyone not to do this but be aware of consequences could be worse if caught. Most likely no problem as the frame swaps have been going on for years. State of Illinois has a bunch of prick laws and can cause some real headaches.

Rich
62fridgebed

Post by 62fridgebed »

I realize this is a pretty old thread, but I want to warn anyone thinking about this short term remedy. Don't do it. There is too much to lose by not following the law and jumping through the hoops. If you have to apply for a bond title and it takes a few weeks, that's what it takes. Please, please, don't grind numbers off and don't apply new numbers. Trust me on this one. The MVD's and DMV's and all the other combinations know that cabs and frames get switched and trucks and cars get frankensteined up over the years, but don't take that kind of shortcut, because it is quite obvious to an inspector that looks at lots of confidential VINs.
azjake
United States of America

Post by azjake »

62 UNI 4x4 wrote:So if my door tag doesn't match the numbers on the rail I'm in deep do-do, correct?

Not necessarily. I just had this problem with getting an out of state Title inspected and they tried to match the Title VIN with the one on the Plate in the driver side door. Most of the time that has a statement below that VIN that says "Not for title or Registration purposes." As long as you can get the Frame VIN and it is the same one as on your title, you will be fine and get a title without any hassle. (the only hassle may be the inspector having trouble gettin under there to see the frame hahaha)

Good old Illinois! I once took a '57 Chevy to DOT because somewhere along the line, someone made a typo on the serial number on the title (#3 istead of #8, or something like that) and I needed it inspected. When I dropped it off, I told them that the engine & transmission were not original (it had a 327 & Muncie 4 speed) and that the problem was with the serial number.

Two weeks later, they called me to say that they found that the engine and transmission were not the original ones! REALLY? DIDN'T I TELL THEM THIS???

Two weeks later, they called to say my car was ready to be picked up and the serial number found on the frame & door post was correct and that someone had made a typo on the title in the past. They have the corrected title ready for me.

Thanks...

Jake
I think I'll go to the "Spousal Avoidance Center" (workshop) for a while...
Roger Carter
United States of America

Post by Roger Carter »

Oregon has a many quirks when it comes to vehicle registration as most any other state. Once you learn how the "system" works in your state, it is much easier to "work the system".
I have found is causes fewer problems to NOT have a door tag, if the door tag and the frame number do not match. As said earlier, it is important to have the paperwork and the frame number match. Seems the inspectors at Motor Vehicles will acceps the fact that a door has been changed.

Roger Carter
Michelle
United States of America

Post by Michelle »

In Texas you don't have to take a vehicle to the DMV, only to some place that does state inspection stickers. Never since I have lived here have they ever checked anything but the door tag. My 56 F100 would be impossible to check as the frame has been cut in two under the front of the cab and a Ford LTD II front clip has been added. When the frame was cut so went the serial number. Each state is different. So learn how your state does it and go from there.
Michelle

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner. A Republic is a well-armed sheep.

I hope I always stay crazy, because I know if I ever become sane, it will drive me crazy.