Ignition switch wiring

Got a helpful tip or trick related to your slick? Please share...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Uncle Skip
United States of America

Ignition switch wiring

Post by Uncle Skip »

Everything you NEVER wanted to know about your ignition switch and wire harness.
:shock:
While the wiring harness changes from year to year, the switch itself does not.
There are six (6) wires coming out of the back of the switch plus the center post.
All but two wires are connected directly to the light switch, firewall plug or harness.
The yellow wire is power in from the voltage regulator and splits in several places. Its hot all the time.
There are two red/blue wires on the switch. One connects directly to the firewall plug and is the starter solenoid. It energizes only in the start position. The second red/ blue wire is short and has a female bullet connector and is energized only in the "start" position. No, I do not know what the shorter wire connects to.
The green/ black wire splits out from the switch and goes to the light sockets in the dash for the left and right turn signals. There is a green and black wire coming to the firewall plug from one of them and a white and black wire that comes from the other one... goes to the firewall plug.
The white and black wire with the female bullet connector connects with the pink resistor wire that goes thru the firewall plug to the coil. This wire is energized in the ON" key "position only.
The short red wire with the three way green bullet connector is always hot in the "Accessory" and "ON" position as is the center pose on the back of the switch. For the heater switch, brake light switch and other accessories like a radio and such where you might want them to operate when the truck isn't running..
Good luck.
U@ss
Last edited by Uncle Skip on May 27, 2010, 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not arguing with you. I'm just explaining why I'm right.
Pardon me. Does your deaug bite?
trukman69

switch wirs

Post by trukman69 »

Thanks Uncle Skip, your reply was what I needed! I wasn't the one that asked about the wiring. I'm about to wire my '62 Mercury Uni and this hint was one of those 'timely' things. Thanks a bunch.
1977 4x4 highboy Ranger
1962 MERCURY unibody pickup short bed
Anthony
United States of America

Post by Anthony »

I am back on this task again and just wanted to add these to try and put it all together.... Thanks Unc and everyone else that has supplied this great information...

http://fordtruk.com/forums/viewtopic.ph ... tch+wiring
http://fordtruk.com/forums/viewtopic.ph ... tch+wiring
http://fordtruk.com/forums/viewtopic.ph ... 639#169639
Uncle Skip
United States of America

Post by Uncle Skip »

One more thing on this subject. The pink wire is hot in the on and start position all the time. It is a "resistor" wire and drops the voltage to the coil to about 8 volts.
You can replace this wire with regular wire, but you need to add an external resistor in line between the power source and the (+) post on the coil or you'll burn out the secondary windings in the coil.
U@ss
I'm not arguing with you. I'm just explaining why I'm right.
Pardon me. Does your deaug bite?