Inexpensive Quality Paint For Your Truck

Got a helpful tip or trick related to your slick? Please share...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Greg D
United States of America

Inexpensive Quality Paint For Your Truck

Post by Greg D »

You may have done a form of this in art class in school.
These paints are all easy to use.
All you need is Duplicolor Paint Shop (this stuff is ready to spray out of the can - ie - no reducer), Rustoleum, Valspar, or even Tractor Supply Implement Paint and to know about what color you want.

Any professional house paint supply should have 1 gallon, 5 Gallon, and Graduated paint pails.
You will need 1 5gal, 2 or more, 1gal, and maybe a few (depending on how/what you measure) graduated paint pails.

I will use Turquoise for this example.
4 quarts of White Duplicolor Paint Shop,
1 Quart Blue
1 Quart Yellow
= + or - 1.5 Gallons of paint (depending on shade).
Pour all the white in the 5 gal pail
and mix in the blue & yellow to get a Aqua or Turquoise - If you start with 1 pint of the colors you will be fairly light similar to Carribean Turquoise and can darken it to similar to my Uni - which ever you like. Want it more blue - ad a touch more blue (or ad less yellow) - you get the idea.
Separate your final color into the 1 gallon pails for storage and use.
You can find basic color charts on line or even experiment with the little bottles of Testors Model paint to see what you want.
Using Silver as a base will give you a metallic.
The main trick is to have a repeatable formula.
Technically you can make a near exact color match with the right formula.
Will a little thought you can lay a nice paint job on your truck with inexpensive decent paint and not be limited to just "out of the can" colors.
Last edited by Greg D on May 9, 2010, 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1964 F 100 - I am going to do "something" with it.......

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15942

1987 Mustang LX Convertible, 2.3 Auto - cruiser.
1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

~ Yes - I adopted another cat..............

Cam L Milan,
You'll be missed my friend.
ebentraywick

Post by ebentraywick »

thanks dude im just going to take every color I have and ad them all to gether. Thats going to be my color for my truck
owning a slick.,,, priceless :)

1961 ford f350
1959 ford f100. not a slick but still goood looking
]Image
simonscr
United States of America

Post by simonscr »

That great info Greg. About how many gallons of paint would one need to give their slick a nice complete paint job? Average cost per gallon?
Simon

65 f 100

56 willys m38a1 SOLD ( Have had since high school )
The Big M
Canada

Post by The Big M »

Is this the method you used to paint your truck, Greg? How is it holding up?

The idea of inexpensive paint is definitely attractive, but are the savings really significant in the long-term? That is, will the cheaper paints hold up as well as a budget single-stage urethane? Having an autobody supplier mix a colour for you would yield much more repeatable results, and you'd have a multitude of factory colours to choose from. That would take the trial and error out of the equation. Plus you wouldn't have to buy full quarts of different colours to get the shade you want. It depends what you're after, I guess.

The Duplicolor Paint Shop is a lacquer paint, which means it's easy to spray and can be buffed out, but I'm curious about how durable it would be. The cost savings may not be worth it if the shine is gone in six months or the finish starts to crack over time.

ebentraywick wrote:thanks dude im just going to take every color I have and ad them all to gether. Thats going to be my color for my truck

Sounds like you're going to end up with a dark muddy brown or grey/black. :lol:
Greg D
United States of America

Post by Greg D »

Big M,
Yes you can buy relatively inexpensive paints from a pro paint supply to use. It is all the related materials that jack the cost up. These paints are also centered toward the professional who knows how to use the stuff without reading the instructions.
The reason I posted this is the materials listed are designed for a first timer to use.
My Uni's paint job is actually rattle cans - I just wanted to make sure I was going to like it before I started body work.
Would I be afraid to use the Duplicolor for example - absolutely not. I actually am considering doing just as I posted here - ei the Turquoise for my example.
The 64 won't be painted with this stuff - I have something special in mind for it that these paints won't work as well for.

1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

Cam L Milan,
The Big M
Canada

Post by The Big M »

I'll have to look into the Duplicolor a bit more. $24.99 a quart here, but that's just for the colour coat. I'm not sure how much the primer and clear would be, or how well the paint would cover versus a higher-priced product. I expect there are some trade-offs. That being said, it's probably less dangerous than catalyzed paints for the average backyard restorer or hotrodder.

Have you seen any photos of completed paint jobs that use a silver base? I've always been intrigued by the Rustoleum and similar paint jobs, but as I understood it metallics weren't an option.

Anyway, thanks for posting. It's always good to have options and add to the knowledge base. There's a ton of paint-related info out there, and it seems everyone has their own preferences.
slick4x4
United States of America

Post by slick4x4 »

i agree with Greg... it doesnt have to cost a fortune for a paint job
for a truck thats just for using... OR selling !
i painted this 75 f100 for about 60$ ( dents and all )
25$ TSC paint / Extra fast reducer gallon = 10$
1/2 gallon primer = 15$ & about 10$ worth of sanding disc

no... it aint showroom quality at all... but at least it was ONE color :P
[b]'' I think what scares me the most about you guys is that I understand you '' ..... KID
'' lookin good, a little paint adds at least 100hp!'' ....... COOTER
'' well an old guy can dream cant he? ''............ICEMAN
''I would donate organs before selling my slick''........ HOOFBEAT RACER
Greg D
United States of America

Post by Greg D »

One good thing with the Duplicolor is it's a lacquer. Lacquer is pretty easy to work with (my favorite). This is the main personal reason I am looking at it for the Uni - I like lacquer and it's hard to find anymore. There is one other place that sells it online but the color selection isn't good - not enough base colors for mixing and they are quite pricey.

http://www.duplicolor.com/products/paintshop.html

The Paint Shop qts are a little cheaper from Summit.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/Depa ... s=Rank|Asc

1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

Cam L Milan,
Brians1966
United States of America

Post by Brians1966 »

I used the duplicolor body shop paint on my 66(have a post on new project and built-finally got some pictures) and had really good luck with it.. I used 1 quart of white, 2 quarts of red and I believe 2 quarts of clear to do the cab. I used a HVLP paint gun from harbor frieght and for someone who is not a body man or painter it looks pretty good.
What I really liked about it was if you:oops: goofed(and there where a few} -you wait 30 minutes and sand your mistakes and paint it again.
I got the paint from Advance Auto for about $20 a quart.
As for the primer and sealer I used the duplicolor rattle cans for that Advance had the sandable primer and sealer buy get one free last month..
We have started on the better bed and will probable paint it within the next few weeks. Will post some pictures when done.
1966 F-100 LONG BED, 240cid 3 speed red and white, Red and White Interior with a Mossy Oak Seat Cover
2013 Ford F150 STX Supercab 5.0 litre

DETERMINATION: The feeling you get right before you try to do something incredibly stupid!

CONFIDENCE: Is the feeling you have before you fully understand the situation!
rcb1020
United States of America

Post by rcb1020 »

Found this website .... I ordered a couple 12oz spray of Carib Turq & Wib White

http://www.automotivetouchup.com/choose ... All+Models
coledaddy541

Post by coledaddy541 »

Thank you for giving me the courage to go ahead and try this paint!!! Just did a bike fender for practice and the guy loved it so much I'm doing the tanks, fenders and oil bag.Next will be my buddys interior on his 67 camaro drop-top, then my other buddys 70 ford truck. I love spraying!!! You've created a monster! My engine bay is after that. Thank you again, Looks GREAT for the price and seems to be tough, especially with the clear.
66 Custom Cab
95 Harley Davidson "Bucket Bike"
olliesshop
United States of America

Post by olliesshop »

Another interesting development is water-based paints. Car Manufacturers have been using them for years to help reduce paint emissions, but it sounds like they'll be available to customers in a couple years. I'm excited about them, but I bet they'll be more expensive, though, just like everything new is.
Tim - 1961 F250 Uni
"Big Red" pictures ... http://olliesshop.smugmug.com/Trucks
Current build thread ... viewtopic.php?f=32&t=29505
Max
United States of America

Post by Max »

You can get water-based paints now and people are raving about the environment-friendly aspects of them BUT you still have to put a Clear Coat over them and Clear has probably the most Isocyanates of any component of the paint process (ie. the NASTY stuff)!
"If you don't want to stand behind our Troops, feel free to stand in front of them."

1964 Ford F100
1967 US Army M416
olliesshop
United States of America

Post by olliesshop »

The water-based clear coats must have been what he was talking about, what do you think? That sure would be cool. On the subject of Isocyanates, I've used a lot of it over the years, including IMRON (which is loaded with it). Now I'm have neurological problems and I keep on thinking is partly due to the Isocyanates.
Tim - 1961 F250 Uni
"Big Red" pictures ... http://olliesshop.smugmug.com/Trucks
Current build thread ... viewtopic.php?f=32&t=29505
Max
United States of America

Post by Max »

I haven't heard all that much about automotive water-based clear coats. I know several companies are working on those. Auto Air Colors require any urethane or polyurethane automotive clear.

Personally, I'd leave water-based clear coating to furniture and not my car.
"If you don't want to stand behind our Troops, feel free to stand in front of them."

1964 Ford F100
1967 US Army M416
Grizzly63

Post by Grizzly63 »

Has anyone used the tractor supply paint yet.if so how does it hold up i saw they have a low gloss black which is what i am gonna use on my 63 but i am scared that it wont last and after more than a year getting the body strait and rust free i want it to last. let me know.
mikewirth

Post by mikewirth »

Tractor paint works great, you are limited to color choices, it lays down nice. The way I look at it is look how a john deere looks after 20 years of non waxing and field work. Now on the other side of the coin, if you have all that time and money invested in getting the metal ready, do you want to go cheap on it now??
Anthony
United States of America

Post by Anthony »

I have used the paints from tractor supply..... I don't know about over time but they are inexpensive and worked for what I was wanting....

http://www.tractorsupply.com/agricultur ... l--3449457

this is what I painted my J-10 with ... and the orange on my Econoline is the Valspar also... (Kabota Orange)

I will use automotive paints from RMS here in Huntington for my Slick...

I think that all of these solutions for inexpensive paints are great..... I painted the Econoline with Tractor paints so it would qualify as being "done" as per the insurance company... now I will work the body as I have time and replace the panels as I can afford them... So with this in mind, cheaper paints were exactly what I needed....

I have also used Rustoleum from Lowes.... It turned out pretty good too, but I ended up with a lot of orange peel...(I think it was the guy spraying it... :roll: )

thought I'd share my experience with these other ideas for paint....
F7BIGJOB
Location: West Greenwich, Rhode Island & Providence Plantations
United States of America

Post by F7BIGJOB »

I [when I painted] loved imron. I have used implement paint on a Ford jubilee, nice.
I painted a safe once with Rustoleum, and had to thin it down quite a bit to get it to spray decent, thats held up well for 20 years.
I have a friend that always painted his trucks and tractors with Rustoleum, but he always had runs and sun faded rather fast, but the paint stays on, he painted a '53 Ford about 1977 and it gets used around his sawmill very little never washed or waxed, and just within the last 5 or so years, succombing to the elements.
F7BIGJOB
-Steve

1965 F-250 4x4 Flareside

ImageImage
Grizzly63

Post by Grizzly63 »

That helps alot i am just running low on funds and was looking for a cheap but decent way to color my truck.