In need of a tip!

Got a helpful tip or trick related to your slick? Please share...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

stoney1964

In need of a tip!

Post by stoney1964 »

I have been trying my best to remove my ignition switch but just cant get the thing out. I have a 63 unibody. The switch is spring loaded from the back and you are supposed to be able to turn the key to the ACC position and mine wont budge. Then take a paper clip and put into tiny hole beneath key and turn out cylinder.
The way it looks I may have to try drilling it out. I am not able to buy a new switch so I have got to figure the cheapest way to do this.
I heard you can get it out without taking the cylinder out but even with the bezel pushed out away from the dash so the tabs dont catch, I cant get it to turn.
:?: Thanks everyone!
jmf66

Post by jmf66 »

It should come out the way you describe. If you don't need to replace the switch, are you removing it to paint? If so, you can tape it up carefully and continue. I've done it both ways and the taped one looks just as good.
olliesshop
United States of America

Post by olliesshop »

Sorry for not seeing this before, but here's the scan from the Shop Manual, which worked for me ...
[albumimg]8372[/albumimg]

I hope this helps :D
Tim - 1961 F250 Uni
"Big Red" pictures ... http://olliesshop.smugmug.com/Trucks
Current build thread ... viewtopic.php?f=32&t=29505
stoney1964

Thanks

Post by stoney1964 »

I appreciate the help guys. I am trying to remove it so I can paint. I am just too picky probably. Ha! But, good news is I drilled the cylinder out without harming the switch so all I will have to buy is the cylinder and keys.