Pedal bearing install for wobbly pedal

Got a helpful tip or trick related to your slick? Please share...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Brian Taylor
United States of America

Pedal bearing install for wobbly pedal

Post by Brian Taylor »

Repairing wobbly clutch and brake pedal assembly:
My pedals were the normal 100K mile pedals with the worn out bushing, the grey/silver ones in the pedal support. I am making a permanent repair not one that will were out in the future and will keep the pedals smoother than they ever were.
I use the term I a lot but actually it is Steve aka Txslick66 that did all the work I just disassembled it and paint it when complete. I started with the removal of the support by taking off the nut holding the clutch lever and unbolting the brake rod then pulling the clutch pedal out and letting the brake pedal fall on my head, try to skip that part. Then I removed the bolts holding the support on the firewall side, 2 holding the master cylinder on and then the 4 bolts just above it. Then back under the dash removing the 2 bolts at the steering column bracket and then 2 above those on each side of the column going through a bracket behind the dash.
At this point the support should be completely unbolted and loose from its 40+ year grip. Pull it to the passenger side a bit and then, with the firewall side held in place, push the dash side of it sideways to clear the dash and pull it out from under the dash. The hardest part is over, wipe the dirt and rust off your face and wash up.
Now you have the full support and pedals out keep it all together including support, pedals, clutch lever and its nut. Take these to Steve and have him fix it…………Okay maybe you want to see the steps.
FIRST; take the support and cut, grind or burn off the worn out bushing NOTE mine in the pics one side is torn causing the wobbly pedals.
SECOND; use 2 large washers on the inside of the support centered on the holes on each side of the support. These will give the brake pedal a smooth area to ride on each side of it. Once those are centered weld them in with a few good tack welds. You will need to grind a bit of the center out of these to assure that the rod does not come in contact with them causing wear.
THIRD: take the bearing retainers (machined metal rings) and center them on the outside of the support on each side. Assemble the pedals to be sure they are centered well and mark the location. Take the bearings and pedals out and tack the rings in and recheck them to be sure they are centered. If not grind the welds and center them again until they are. Once you are happy with them weld them in for good.
FOURTH; assemble the whole thing again and see if you need to grind down the rings to be sure the clutch lever is seated properly and the pedals are not in a bind. Steves rings are machined to fit a Mustangs pedals perfect but the Slicks need a bit of them cut down.
Be sure all the bearings are in with the washers to keep the bearings moving freely. Steve fit them and then used the grinder, fit them and then used the grinder, fit them and then used the grinder, fit them and then used the grinder etc etc till the assembly fit smoothly.
FIFTH; take it all apart clean and paint it to look good and then reverse the removal process to reinstall the support and pedals. Please note to put the pedals in and have them secure before tightening the support completely to be sure the support is not tweaked causing issues with the pedals and the bearings. The support can easily be spread out or pressed together on installation causing problems.
SIXTH; make sure you have all things connected properly and go drive and enjoy the smooth pedals and for me no more scary brake pedal movement causing the pedal not to fully depress.
1966 Ford F-100 LWB 300
MadMaxetc
United States of America

Post by MadMaxetc »

Here are my pictures from my 67.

Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Dan
Project: '63 F-100 LWB / 460 / C6 / 2x4
My Build Thread
MadMaxetc
United States of America

Post by MadMaxetc »

Here are the pics of Brians

[albumimg]8917[/albumimg] [albumimg]8916[/albumimg] [albumimg]8915[/albumimg] [albumimg]8914[/albumimg]
Dan
My Build Thread
Brian Taylor
United States of America

Post by Brian Taylor »

Thanks, I can rebuild an engine but I suck at posting pics.
1966 Ford F-100 LWB 300
Lrgfather

Pedal Bearing

Post by Lrgfather »

Nice write up and pics, do you have a part number for the bearing kit?

Thanks
"Common sense is not that damn common"
jmf66

Post by jmf66 »

That's a great kit... I bought mine from MustangSteve.com for my 66 mustang, but ended up using it on my 66 F100. If you can tack weld, it's pretty easy to install yourself.

Here's the link: http://www.mustangsteve.com/clutchbearings.html
crazydave

Post by crazydave »

Nice thanks! I need this right now.. having so much pain taking/reinstalling/modifying much of these ford truck parts i have.. I actually bought one from that site last month, i guess, just saying..
MadMaxetc
United States of America

Post by MadMaxetc »

Yes, it did take a bit for it to ship. like 3 weeks, but the kit is worth it.
Dan
My Build Thread